WINDY CITY TIMES
||Zopp moves to World Business Chicago, Hawkins appt. Deputy Chief of Staff
From a press release
This article shared 811 times since Tue Oct 24, 2017
Mayor Rahm Emanuel today announced he has tapped Deputy Mayor Andrea Zopp to serve as the next CEO of World Business Chicago ( WBC ) — a move that will build on the Mayor's efforts to drive economic growth in neighborhoods throughout Chicago. The move will allow current WBC CEO Jeff Malehorn to focus his time and efforts exclusively on the city's efforts to bring Amazon's second headquarters, and 50,000 new jobs, to Chicago.
Since joining the Emanuel administration, Zopp has overseen a suite of neighborhood economic efforts, including the creation of the Neighborhood Opportunity Fund which uses funds generated by downtown businesses to support economic development on the south, west and southwest sides of the city. To date the Fund has used $3.2 million in funding to support 32 businesses across the city, including a vegan restaurant in Chatham, a plant nursery in North Lawndale and an art gallery in West Humboldt Park. A second round of $2.5 million in funding was just announced earlier this month.
Additionally, Mayor Emanuel announced a series of key hires within his office.
Roderick Hawkins,, a prominent LGBTQ advocate, will serve as Deputy Chief of Staff for Public Engagement. Hawkins has been Director of the Mayor's Office of Public Engagement since July 2016. In his newly expanded role, Hawkins will partner with faith leaders and community leaders across Chicago on a wide range of public safety, education and neighborhood growth efforts. He will also oversee Chicago's actions to remain a Welcoming City to immigrants across the world. Hawkins will work closely with Vance Henry, who has served as a trusted advisor to Mayor Emanuel on faith based initiatives since 2011. Hawkins is a resident of South Shore.
Victoria Watkins will serve as Senior Advisor. Watkins has headed up the Mayor's Springfield legislative team since 2013 and has worked for the City since 2011.
Aarti Kotak will serve as Deputy Chief of Staff for Neighborhood Economic Development. Kotak brings deep experience in neighborhood economic development to the Mayor's office through her current role as the Managing Deputy Commissioner of the Economic Development Bureau in the city's Department of Planning and Development.
This article shared 811 times since Tue Oct 24, 2017
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Mayoral candidate forum centers BIPOC LGBTQ+ issues, Vallas declines to participate 2023-03-23|
- Chicago mayoral candidate Brandon Johnson participated in a March 22 virtual LGBTQ+-focused forum co-hosted by Affinity Community Services (Affinity), Association of Latinos/as/xs Motivating Action (ALMA) Chicago ...
|Utah bans conversion therapy 2023-03-23|
- On March 22, Republican Utah Gov. Spencer Cox signed a bill that bans licensed professionals from practicing conversion therapythe discredited practice that attempts to turn LGBTQ+ people heterosexualon minors, Q ...
|ELECTIONS 2023 Mayoral candidate Brandon Johnson discusses religion, LGBTQ+ issues, holistic approach 2023-03-22|
- Chicago mayoral candidates Brandon Johnson and Paul Vallas seem to have little in common. Johnson, a Cook County commissioner, has embraced a more progressive platform that employs everything from a more holistic approach to crime to ...
|More than thirty-five LGBTQ+ leaders endorse Brandon Johnson for mayor of Chicago 2023-03-22|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, IL — More than thirty-five LGBTQ+ community leaders are united in their support for Brandon Johnson for Mayor in Chicago's runoff election, representing the city's business, philanthropic, academic, civic ...
|N.Y. attorney general hosts Drag Story Hour 2023-03-21|
- On March 19, New York Attorney General Letitia Jamesalong with a coalition of advocacy organizations and elected leadershosted a first-of-its-kind Drag Story Hour Read-A-Thon for families in New York City, per a press release from her ...
|Kentucky lawmakers pass anti-trans youth bill; governor plans to veto measure 2023-03-20|
- In Kentucky, Republican lawmakers passed a bill that bans minors from receiving gender-affirming care, lets educators refuse to refer to trans students by their preferred pronouns and would not allow schools to discuss sexual orientation or ...
|WORLD German bishops, trans woman's death, Hungary, human-rights event 2023-03-18|
- Germany's Catholic bishops voted (38 to nine, with 11 abstentions) to adopt formal ceremonies for the blessing of same-sex relationships, defying the Vatican and testing church unity on what has become one of the most contentious ...
|NATIONAL Ritchie Torres, N.J. towns, Karine Jean-Pierre, Tennessee items 2023-03-18|
- New York Congressman Ritchie Torres has talked about his own struggle with depression and the importance of mental health in the wake of U.S. Sen. John Fetterman (D-Pa.)'s recent hospitalization for clinical depression, The Washington Blade ...
|Johnson and Vallas to take part in LGBTQ+-focused candidate forum March 22 2023-03-17|
- Affinity Community Services (Affinity), Association of Latinos/as/xs Motivating Action (ALMA) Chicago, Brave Space Alliance, Chicago Black Gay Men's Caucus, Life is Work and Task Force Chicago are co-hosting a virtual ...
|Major national LGBTQ+ groups condemn Oklahoma House censure motion against Rep. Mauree Turner 2023-03-16|
--From a press release - Last week, Oklahoma Representative Mauree Turner was the target of a censure motion by Republican leaders — a blatant attempt to silence the first openly non-binary U.S. state legislator. The motion passed on a party line ...
|ELECTIONS 2023: 48th Ward candidate Leni Manaa-Hoppenworth speaks about her run-off race 2023-03-15|
- Note: The following interview is part of Windy City Times' ongoing coverage of LGBTQ+ candidates in the 2023 Chicago municipal elections. The run-off election takes place Tuesday, April 4. Following the Feb. 28 primary electionwhere 10 ...
|Arkansas governor signs anti-trans medical malpractice bill 2023-03-15|
- Republican Arkansas Gov. Sarah Huckabee Sanders signed into law a measure that makes it easier to sue providers of gender-affirming care for children, ABC News reported. This move, involving a law that will take effect this ...
|Mayoral candidate Brandon Johnson endorses 48th Ward alderperson candidate Leni Manaa-Hoppenworth 2023-03-14|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, IL — Leni Manaa-Hoppenworth, community organizer and progressive advocate, earned the endorsement of Chicago Mayoral Candidate Cook County Commissioner Brandon Johnson. Since the February 28th runoff election, Manaa-Hoppenworth has ...
|Personal PAC to endorse Brandon Johnson for mayor 2023-03-14|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Personal PAC, one of Illinois' leading organizations dedicated to protecting reproductive rights, announces today an endorsement for Brandon Johnson for mayor: From the organization: "Personal PAC is proud to stand with Brandon Johnson ...
|Mayoral candidate Johnson appears at monthly LGBTQ+ event 2023-03-13|
- On the evening of March 11, mayoral candidate Brandon Johnson made a surprise appearance in front of a packed room at the monthly LGBTQ+ event Slo Mo Jam, which was held at Sleeping Village, 3734 W. ...
|WORLD German bishops, trans woman's death, Hungary, human-rights event|
|SHOWBIZ 'Black Adam,' Cyndi Lauper, Sondheim, Oscars, OutFest|
|NATIONAL Ritchie Torres, N.J. towns, Karine Jean-Pierre, Tennessee items|
|UpRising Bakery and Cafe could soon close due to revenue losses, ongoing anti-LGBTQ+ harassment|
|Navratilova says she is cancer-free|