||Youth Health Group Seeks Leaders
This article shared 4455 times since Sat Oct 1, 2005
The Illinois Caucus for Adolescent Health ( ICAH ) is taking applications from young leaders who wish to help implement projects for social change that promotes sexual health, reproductive rights and the rights of teen parents. Last year's projects included helping students plan and execute strategies to improve their schools' health education models.
Recently, almost 50 youth and adult advocates attended Republican and Democrat Days at the Illinois State Fair. Dressed in orange shirts that said 'Ask Me About Sex Education,' advocates collected more than 600 petition signatures in support of comprehensive sex education. In addition, ICAH recently hosted Action Out Loud, a five-day youth advocacy training camp designed to inspire young leaders and build their
skills and knowledge necessary to become leaders and agents of social change.
See www.icah.org for more information.
This article shared 4455 times since Sat Oct 1, 2005
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Billy Porter discusses his fashion choices, personal ambitions 2023-01-30|
- Billy Porter—the Tony, Emmy and Grammy winner—needs no introduction—especially to the many fans of his character Pray Tell on Ryan Murphy's hit TV series Pose. Coming up exclusively in theaters Feb. 3, Porter will star as ...
|Howard Brown strike reaches third day 2023-01-05|
- Amid layoffs of 60 unionized and four non-union staffers at multiple Howard Brown Health (Howard Brown), Broadway Youth Center and Brown Elephant locations across Chicago, over 400 HBH Workers United non-nurse members represented by the Illinois ...
|WORLD Conversion therapy, Indian school, trans boxers, anti-LGBTQ+ move 2022-12-31|
- South Florida Gay News noted that efforts to ban so-called conversion therapy gained a lot of traction around the world in 2022. For example, Canada and France introduced LGBTQ+-inclusive bills to ban conversion therapy for minors ...
|NATIONAL Office vandalized, George Santos, HRC official dies at 24, law students 2022-12-24|
- Protestors vandalized an openly gay New York City Council member's office and entered his apartment building, The Advocate reported. Erik Bottcher—whose district includes Greenwich Village, Chelse and Hell's Kitchen, among ...
|OPINION Remember the youngest victims of anti-LGBTQ+ discrimination 2022-12-19|
- On Dec. 13, the Ohio State Board of Education voted 10-7 in favor of a non-binding resolution opposing proposed changes to the federal government's Title IX protecting LGBTQ+ students. It was just one more blow for ...
|MUSIC: Sophie B. Hawkins talks LGBTQ+ youth and living an authentic life 2022-11-24|
- In the '90s, singer-songwriter Sophie B. Hawkins made quite an impression on people with the entrancing song "Damn I Wish I Was Your Lover" and its accompanying video. She also had hits such as "Right Beside You" ...
|National AIDS Memorial names 2022-2023 Pedro Zamora Young Leaders Scholarship recipients 2022-11-09|
-- From a press release - SAN FRANCISCO, California, Nov. 09, 2022 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — The National AIDS Memorial has announced its 2022/2023 Pedro Zamora Young Leaders scholars, its largest and most diverse class ever, providing ...
|NATIONAL Pageant ruling, AOC, gay journalists, Dwyane Wade, trans activist 2022-11-06|
- A federal appeals court ruled that the operator of the Miss United States of America pageant (not to be confused with the Miss USA pageant) can't be forced to allow openly transgender women into its competitions, ...
|Chicago Teachers Union: Lightfoot's CPS team must remove Jones HS principal, address racially hostile environment 2022-11-04|
-- From a Chicago Teachers Union press release - CHICAGO, Nov. 3, 2022 The Chicago Teachers Union issued the following statement after learning of another incidence of intolerance at Jones College Prep High School, which has been dogged by complaints of antisemitism, racism and ...
|NATIONAL Birth certificates, university items, drag-show standoff, 'Models of Pride' 2022-10-30|
- Following a lawsuit from ACLU, ACLU of West Virginia and the Harvard Law School LGBTQ+ Advocacy Clinic, the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources' Vital Registration Office has introduced more accessible and safer policies ...
|Florida Board of Education approves strict trans bathroom rule 2022-10-24|
- On Oct. 19, the Florida Board of Education approved a strict rule preventing public and charter schools in the state from allowing trans+ youth to use the restroom or locker room consistent with their gender identity ...
|NATIONAL Michigan bill, trans woman killed, school musical, Alabama drag queen 2022-10-23|
- Michigan House Republicans recently introduced legislation that could have the potential to throw parents and doctors in prison for life for offering gender-affirming care to children under the age of 18, MLive.com reported. Under House Bill ...
|NATIONAL Cleveland's ban, LGBT center, Black Public Media, Folx Health 2022-10-16|
- The Cleveland City Council passed a ban on conversion therapy for LGBTQ+ youth and impose criminal penalties for mental health professionals who provide it, cleveland.com reported. The ban, which Councilman Brian Mooney proposed, applies to talk, ...
|WORLD Fertility strategy, trans youth charity, French PM, Mexican spots 2022-10-02|
- The British government committed to a 10-year strategy to end discrimination against "female same-sex couples" seeking fertility services, according to Human Rights Watch. The first-ever Women's Health Strategy for England ...
|Trevor Project returns donation from controversial tech company 2022-09-30|
- The Trevor Project—a leading nonprofit devoted to the mental well-being of LGBTQ+ youth which wants "a world where all LGBTQ young people see a bright future for themselves," according to its website—has returned a donation from ...