||YPC receives $100K following WCT item
by Amy Wooten
This article shared 3896 times since Mon Dec 1, 2008
A community member recently donated $100,000 to the Youth Pride Center ( YPC ) after reading a Windy City Times article about an event thrown by youth in early October.
The donation, which was not anonymous, but the name of the individual will be revealed later, is for "specific purposes," said YPC Founder Frank Walker. Walker added that there are many legal restrictions on what the money can and can't be used for. For example, the donation can't be used for personnel or political activities.
According to Walker, the donor said that when he was growing up, he did not have access to anything like YPC, and there weren't any mainstream organizations ( non-clinical ) run by people of color and specifically for youth of color.
Walker said that the money will go toward education incentives, cultural programming and possibly innovative health programming geared toward youth even outside of the center.
Because of the donation, Walker also expects that the youth center will be able to double the number of youth taken on several road trips to LGBT youth centers across the United States.
This article shared 3896 times since Mon Dec 1, 2008
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Warrant issued for Joliet teacher accused of inappropriate communication with teen boy [UPDATE] 2021-05-01|
- Joliet police issued an arrest warrant for a former Catholic school teacher accused of inappropriately communicating with a teenage boy, a. Fox32Chicago.com item reported. Jeremy M. Hylka is facing charges of traveling to meet a child ...
|New report examines bans on medical care for trans youth 2021-04-29|
- The Movement Advancement Project (MAP) released a new policy spotlight report, "Efforts to Ban Health Care for Transgender Youth." In 2021 alone, legislatures in 22 states have introduced bills to ban best practice medical care for ...
|SAIC hosts 'Debunking Conversion Therapy' virtual panel 2021-04-28|
- The School of the Art Institute of Chicago (SAIC) hosted a virtual panel, "Debunking Conversion Therapy," on April 23 that focused on how people have been negatively impacted by conversion therapy, what the Bible says and ...
|GLAAD responds to increase in suicide attempts among trans youth in Arkansas 2021-04-19|
--From a press release - (New York, NY - April 19, 2021) — GLAAD is responding to reports of an increase in suicide attempts among transgender youth in Arkansas, which on April 6 became the first U.S. state to outlaw gender-affirming ...
|Students speak out after Pride flag removal at Indiana school [UPDATE]
- Students spoke out April 12 against the removal of Pride flags at a middle school in northwest Indiana, according to CBS Chicago. According to ABC7Chicago.com, a Black Lives Matter poster was also removed. LGBTQ students addressed ...
|More than 45,000 trans youth put at risk of losing access to gender-affirming care 2021-04-13|
--From a Williams Institute press release - An estimated 45,100 transgender youth ages 13 and older in the U.S. are at risk of being denied gender-affirming medical care due to proposed and enacted state bans, according to the Williams Institute at UCLA School ...
|Trans, non-binary youth influencers launch book collection with "A Kids Book About" 2021-04-12|
--From a press release - Chicago, IL - April 12, 2021 - While many teens took e-learning as an opportunity to level-up their gaming skills, a group of young people chose instead to write a collection of books about their lives. ...
|Study: 30% of young LGBQ people have attempted suicide in their lifetimes
--From a press release - A new study by the Williams Institute at UCLA School of Law finds younger LGBQ adults experience greater psychological distress and suicidal behavior than older LGBQ people. Researchers examined a representative sample of LGBQ people in ...
|Arkansas legislature overrides governor on anti-trans measure
- On April 6, the Arkansas state legislature voted to override a veto by Gov. Asa Hutchinson on a bill that would ban gender-affirming treatments for transgender youths in the state, ABC News reported. The "Save Adolescents ...
|LGBTQ students sue U.S. Department of Education
- More than 30 LGBTQ students are suing the U.S. Department of Education in a class-action lawsuit filed March 29, NBC News reported. The students allege that they dealt with discrimination at 25 federally funded Christian colleges ...
|New Equality Map: Bans on transgender youth participation in sports 2021-03-29|
- (March 29, 2021) — Across the country, state legislatures have introduced bills that would ban transgender youth from participating in K-12 school sports, and in some cases in college as well. This year alone, at least ...
|POETRY E'mon Lauren Black talks queerness,
podcast, Black mobility 2021-03-11|
- Even though she's only in her early 20s, E'mon Lauren Black has accomplished so much. Not only was Black named Chicago's first youth poet laureate in 2016 (an honor from Young Chicago Authors, in partnership with ...
LGBTQ+ Intergenerational Dialogue Project connects youth, elders in conversation 2021-03-10|
- A chance encounter in 2019 has blossomed into an intergenerational dialogue project that brings together younger and older LGBTQ folks. Adam Greteman, a gay philosopher and School of the Art Institute of Chicago (SAIC) faculty member, ...
|NATIONAL Nebraska measure, Williams Institute, Audre Lorde, journalist dies 2021-02-28|
- In Nebraska, the Lincoln City Council passed an ordinance that bans licensed mental-health professionals from subjecting LGBTQ youth to the discredited practice of conversion therapy, according to a Trevor Project ...
|Victory Institute condemns Rand Paul attack on
Dr. Rachel Levine, trans youth 2021-02-25|
--From a press release - Washington, DC — Today LGBTQ Victory Institute condemned Senator Rand Paul's transphobic attack on Dr. Rachel Levine during her confirmation hearing before the U.S. Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions. He attacked trans you ...