WINDY CITY TIMES
||Wrightwood 659 showing Doshi exhibit Sept. 9-Dec. 12
This article shared 1423 times since Sun Jul 26, 2020
Local art space Wrightwood 659, 659 W. Wrightwood Ave., will reopen with an exhibition devoted to the work of visionary Indian architect, urbanist and teacher Balkrishna Doshi.
Recipient of the 2018 Pritzker Architecture Prize, Doshi ( born in 1927 in Pune, India ) worked with Le Corbusier and Louis Kahn in the 1950s, and later adapted the principles and forms of modernism he absorbed from these experiences into his work with local cultures, traditions, and environments, from low-cost housing and academic institutions to urban planning projects.
"Balkrishna Doshi: Architecture for the People" will be on view Sept. 9-Dec. 12. This international traveling exhibition was organized by Vitra Design Museum and the Wustenrot Foundation, in cooperation with the Vastushilpa Foundation.
The exhibition's thematic sections are "Home and Identity," "Creating a Livable City," "Shaping an Integrated Education" and "Building Academic Institutions."
Unless otherwise noted, the space is open Thursdays and Fridays 12-8 p.m. and Saturdays 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Admission is by advance ticket only; no walk-ups are permitted. Tickets for "Balkrishna Doshi: Architecture for the People" are $15 and available online only, at tickets.wrightwood659.org/events .
This article shared 1423 times since Sun Jul 26, 2020
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|SHOWBIZ: Awards, 'Bebop,' Andy Cohen, Mariah Carey, Revry 2020-11-23|
- The American Music Awards aired live Nov. 22 and some of the biggest names in music took home awards; Taraji P. Henson hosted. According to CNN.com, Doja Cat won new artist of the year and Becky ...
|Black transgender artist Heather Hills releases single, video from Trans Trenderz 2020-11-20|
--From a press release - (New York, NY) Electro-pop/rap artist, Heather Hills, has released the new single and video, "Get Dun," on the Trans Trenderz label. "Get Dun" is not for those expecting trauma porn. "I got a cute beat and ...
|BOOKS/ART Local man releases sketches by famous artist uncle 2020-11-19|
- Cuban American painter Gustavo Ojeda (1958—89) is best known for lush and meditative urban nightscapes that brought him recognition in the 1980s downtown New York art scene. He exhibited works alongside artists such as Jean-Michel Basquiat, ...
|Play development series seeks new plays authored by artists of color 2020-11-19|
--From a press release - (Chicago, IL) Calling all bold, imaginative new plays authored by artists of color for Future LabsGoodman Theatre's newest artistic program to develop works authored and directed by Black, Indigenous, Latinx, AAPI and other artists of co ...
|Five Worth Finding: Restaurants, OUT100, children's book, face mask 2020-11-19|
- —Perry's Steakhouse & Grille (PerrysSteakhouse.com): This suburban spot (with two restaurants in Oak Brook and Schaumburg) is well-known for its delicious cuts of meat, sumptuous sides and hand-crafted cocktails. It's ...
|Day With(out) Art: Transmissions launches online Nov. 30 2020-11-18|
--From a press release - NEW YORK, Nov. 16, 2020 — Visual AIDS, the only contemporary arts organization fully committed to raising AIDS and HIV awareness through dialogue, art exhibitions and public forums, announces their ...
|About Face Theatre starts 25th season with Kickback online short play fest 2020-11-18|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (Nov 9, 2020) — About Face Theatre kicks off its landmark 25th season with KICKBACK, an online festival of newly commissioned short plays and performances by Black LGBTQ+ artists, inspired by the Rebuild Foundation's collections ...
|Artist Riva Lehrer talks new memoir, career, state of the world 2020-11-18|
- In queer artist, writer and curator Riva Lehrer's recently released memoir Golem Girl, she takes readers on a journey through her life via the lens of her being born with spina bifida and the way that ...
|MUSICALS 1997 version of Anyone Can Whistle out Dec. 4
- On Sunday, Dec. 4, Jay Records will release a 1997 recording of the musical Anyone Can Whistle, which originally had music and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim as well as a book by Arthur Laurents. The production ...
|THEATER Pride Arts artistic director resigns; PFP keeps Zak 2020-11-12|
- Two controversial developments have occurred at Pride Arts (in which Pride Films & Plays, PFP, is the main tenant). According to a letter from PrideArts President Cheri Tatar that Windy City Times obtained, PFP Artistic Director ...
|Hyde Park Art Center gala Nov. 21 2020-11-12|
- Hyde Park Art Center will present its annual galaheld for the first time virtuallyon Saturday, Nov. 21, at 3-4 p.m. and 6:30-9 p.m. with the Centerpiece program at 7-8 p.m, and afternoon and evening programming geared ...
|57th Street Art Fair to return next June 2020-11-10|
- The 74th annual 57th Street Art Fair is slated to return June 5-6, 2021. The free event is the Midwest's oldest juried art fair, featuring nearly 200 artists, live music, kids' activities and a food court. ...
|A Red Orchid Theatre appoints Travis Knight, Sadieh Rifai to new positions 2020-11-10|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, ILA Red Orchid Theatre announces the appointments of Ensemble Member Travis Knight as Associate Artistic Director and Ensemble Member Sadieh Rifai as Artistic Development Coordinator. Ensemble member Shade Murray ...
|Theater excellence honored with 52nd annual Equity Awards 2020-11-10|
--From a press release - Nov. 9, 2020 — CHICAGO — In its 52nd annual celebration of theater excellence, the Jeff Awards has recognized 39 recipients for the 2020 awards, selected from among 142 theater artist nominees across 30 artistic and ...
|The African American Arts Alliance announces 2020 Black Excellence Awards
--From a press release - Chicago, ILThe African American Arts Alliance (AAAA) will host the 20th annual Black Excellence Awards, an evening celebrating Black artists, Black voices, and Black stories across artistic disciplines, on November 10, 2020 at 7pm. The 2020 ...