||World Wide Weird
This article shared 3502 times since Wed Mar 8, 2006
Play with your food, Russian Style
Oh, those crazy russkies... iFun.ru apparently sponsored a constest where they had their users submit banana art. I'm guessing here. I don't know a word of Russian. In any case, they have lots of decorated bananas for you to peruse. In this case 'decorated' means 'bruised' or 'written on with a Sharpie.' Why bananas? Well bananas are inherently funny. They are phallic shaped and they have a funny name. The added bonus is that they are linked to monkeys and monkeys are inherently funny too.
Play with your Food, American-Style
One really has to look know further than the Bush administration's case for the Iraq war to see that americans are skilled at fashioning
elaborate constructions from bologna, but if you'd like to see some more amusing (and less lethal) examples of this art mosey on over to MediaBum's page. I particularly liked the piece that reminded me of the 'Chicago Picasso.' Or was it a lady? A baboon?
Play with your food, French-style
The french, however, seek to create art that has a much greater permanence and social conscience than banana art. They choose to do orange art. Well, more accurately, they choose to do pelures d'orange arte. (That's high falutin' for orange peel art.) I could go on here about the intricate detail work, but I'd be lying. Frankly the Russian bananas were more amusing. Oranges just aren't funny. Hell, you can't even rhyme orange.
Play with your food, Taiwanese-style
Apparently at Taiwanese Pizza Huts (bet that's a phrase you never expected to read) you're only allowed one trip to the salad bar. This has led to some individuals coming up with rather... architectural solutions.
Honestly, it would have been simpler to just stand at the bar and eat.
This article shared 3502 times since Wed Mar 8, 2006
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|WINDY CITY TIMES annual Holiday Gift Guide, Part Two
- I'll drink to that Inspired by TV host Giuliana Rancic, Giuliana Prosecco ($14.99; TerlatoWines.com) is smooth, with a fruity scent and deceptively complex taste. It may sound weird to say you settled down with Giuliana after ...
|Halloween weirdness at Sidetrack 2019-11-12|
- Photos by Jerry Nunn ...
|WINTER THEATER SPECIAL Genre-defying works dot theater landscape 2019-01-29|
- There's a lot to be excited about on Chicago's upcoming theater slate. Winter promises dozens of shows premiering with weird, powerful and hilarious stories, and featuring fantastic casts. Get ready to put on your snow boots, ...
|Glad Rags' 'Wonder 'Under': An emotional kaleidoscope 2018-11-14|
- Local queer psychedelic orchestra band Glad Rags' second full-length album, Wonder Under, is an eclectic and weird ride in all the best ways. Although bringing to mind Tom Waits, with rich vocals graveling over horn and ...
|Northalsted Frost Fest, Feb. 25-26 2017-02-22|
- Cool off in this weirdly warm February at Northalsted Frost Fest, taking place this weekend, Sat., February 25 and Sun., February 26. Saturday brings you a Craft Beer Festival, featuring over 40 craft brews with the ...
|BOOK REVIEW You Don't Own Me: The Life and Times of Lesley Gore 2015-12-30|
- Your closet is packed with mistakes. Odd-colored shirts, patchwork jeans, alligators, prairie wear, weird ties, you wore it all once. But will those things ever be in style again, even if you wait long enough? No, ...
|DANCIN' FEATS A queer dance romance
by Lauren Warnecke - "It's kind of weird to be in a relationship in this community," said Erica Ricketts, 23, a 2013 grad of the Dance Center of Columbia College Chicago. As she navigates the challenging task of making a ...
- Barrel of Monkeys' That's Weird, Grandma: The Holiday Special is just like other editions of the family-friendly sketch show that draws its inspiration from writing workshops conducted with elementary students in underserved ...
|CRITICS' PICKS 2013-09-18|
- The Book of Mormon, Bank of America Theatre, through Oct. 6. Time is running out to catch this wildly acclaimed hit 2011 Broadway musical that not only takes pot-shots at some of the weirder aspects of ...
|DEEP TISSUE 2013-09-18|
a touching new column - One of the more entertaining aspects of doing massage on the fringe is some of the more eccentric weirdos that would grace my table. Many of them were repeat clients. My assumption was that once they ...
|DEEP TISSUE 2013-07-24|
a touching new column - During the years that I practiced massage some of the more memorable moments were spent fielding calls from prospective clients that ranged from simply inappropriate to weird and angry. Here are a few of the highlights: ...
|The hectic writing life of Ike Holter
SCOTTISH PLAY SCOTT - Chicago playwright Ike Holter is one busy man. The 28-year-old playwright behind last year's wildly acclaimed Stonewall Riots drama Hit the Wall has two new works debuting days apart: A 10-minute piece called Weirdo that's part ...
THEATER REVIEW - Playwright: Young Jean Lee. At: Red Tape Theatre, 621 W. Belmont Ave. (St. Peter's Church). Tickets: www.redtapetheatre.org; $25. Runs through: June 22 Weird play. Psycho-drama, really, akin to a much gentler version of Sarah Kane, the ...
|Billy Masters 2013-05-21|
- "Who hasn't dated a gay dude? He didn't tell me, but I just sort of figured it out. There were weird things he would say. He once tried on my heels. ... That was a pretty big indication."Gabourey Sidibe shares her ...
- Often ridiculed as a weird 1980 cult film musical that incorporates Greek mythology amid a roller disco, Xanadu has since gained some redemption in a critically acclaimed 2007 Broadway musical adaptation. Out playwright Douglas Carter Beane ...