WINDY CITY TIMES
||Wonka Ball for About Face Youth Theatre
This article shared 4441 times since Wed May 13, 2009
At the Wonka Ball: # 2 Karen Dixon, Nan Schaffer, Eric Jorgenson and David Schaefer, # 3 Kirk Williamson, Tracy Baim and Bonnie Metzger, artistic drector of About Face, # 4 Youth honoree Scott Jaburek and his parents, # 7 Windy City Media Group staff, with co-owner Nan Schaffer at right, # 8 Willa taylor and Mary Morten
About Face Theatre's annual Wonka Ball, held May 7, could be summarized by the evening's final performance with About Face Youth Theatre actors dancing to their own mob-dance version of the YouTube video of the Sound of Music at the Liverpool St. Station in London. Two actors sashayed with every twist and turn as they grew in numbers, until over 30 synchronized dancers collectively wowed the crowd. The event held at Salvage One, 1840 W. Hubbard, started with a VIP reception. Windy City Media Group publisher Tracy Baim accepted the Leppen Leadership Award alongside Nightspots editor Kirk Williamson on behalf of Windy City Media Group. Baim, who started in 1984 at Gay Life newspaper, was honored for her 25 years in LGBT media. "I really appreciate About Face for honoring both Windy City Media Group and myself," said Baim. ( In addition, Scott Jaburek received the 2009 About Face Youth Theatre MVP Award. ) The main event featured an extensive silent auction, food by different local caterers, and cocktails.
This year's fundraising event was especially vital for a theatre company experiencing the the affects of an economic downturn. In early March AFT began a $300,000 capital campaign to ensure future employee salaries and programming. The AFT Web site posts that the company has raised over $175,000 to date. To learn more about the capital campaign and the current season, visit www.aboutfacetheatre.com . See many more photos at www.WindyCityMediaGroup.com/photos/WonkaBall2009. Text by Emmanuel Garcia; photos by Kat Fitzgerald ( MysticImagesPhotography.com ) and Jerry Nunn; and video on Windy City Media Group's QueerTVNetwork.com
This article shared 4441 times since Wed May 13, 2009
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|ART Van Gogh balloon celebrates installation's extension to Feb. 6 2021-10-11|
- Following a maiden flight in Toronto to herald the return of the city's "Immersive Van Gogh Exhibit," Lighthouse Immersive's Vincent van Gogh hot-air balloon made its way to Goebbert's Farm, in the Kane County village of ...
|Howard Brown's 'Big Orange Ball' on Oct. 23 2021-10-09|
- Howard Brown Health will hold its annual Big Orange Ball virtually Saturday, Oct. 23, 8-9 p.m. The event will then be shown On-Demand through Sunday, Oct. 31, at midnight. This year, people can kick off Halloween ...
|Joffrey's Nutcracker returns for the holidays 2021-09-27|
--From a press release - (Chicago) — The Joffrey Ballet's reimagined holiday classic, The Nutcracker, by Tony Award®-winning choreographer Christopher Wheeldon, returns to Chicago during the Joffrey's first-ever season at the historic Lyric Opera House ...
|Joffrey welcomes four dancers from South Korea, Spain and the U.S. 2021-09-15|
- The Joffrey Ballet's Mary B. Galvin Artistic Director Ashley Wheater MBE, The and President and CEO Greg Cameron announced the addition of four dancers to the Joffrey roster for the 2021-22 season: Brian Bennett (Lanham, Maryland), ...
|Joffrey Ballet's "Home: a Celebration" opens inaugural season at Lyric Opera House 2021-08-18|
--From a press release - August 18, 2021 (Chicago) The Joffrey Ballet opens its inaugural season at the Lyric Opera House and marks its return to live performances with Home: a Celebration, a triumphant mixed repertory program that spotlights original ...
|DaBaby apologizes for 'misinformed' comments about AIDS, LGBTQ people 2021-08-03|
- After his headlining sets at Lollapalooza, Governors Ball and Day N Vegas festivals were canceled within 24 hours of each other, rapper DaBaby issued another apology to the LGBTQ community, Variety reported. "Social Media moves so ...
|AIDS ballet movie coming to Chicago on July 16 2021-07-07|
- The movie Can You Bring It: Bill T. Jones and D-Man in the Waters will open Friday, July 16, in virtual cinemas in Chicago at Gene Siskel Film Center and Music Box Theatre. "Can You Bring It"co-directed by Rosalynde LeBlanc and ...
|SAVOR Ballyhoo restaurants Gemini and Old Pueblo Cantina 2021-07-05|
- Ballyhoo Hospitality may not have quite the stable of eateries that, say, Lettuce Entertain You Restaurants has. However, judging by two of the restaurants I recently visited, Ballyhoo is definitely making its mark in Chicagoland. Gemini ...
|West Side Pride ends June with rally, ball and call to action 2021-07-01|
- On June 30, West Side Pride closed Pride Month with a rally and call to action followed by a celebratory ball. The eventco-sponsored by Life is Work, Pride Without Prejudice, Brave Space Alliance and Taskforce Preventionsought ...
|Auditorium Theatre's 'Devil's Ball' on Aug. 27
- The Auditorium Theatre Auxiliary Board is hosting its annual Devil's Ball on Friday, Aug. 27the first public event at the venue since its closure in March 2020. This year's theme, Roaring Back, is a revival of ...
|Buffalo Grove holds Pride Drive 2021-06-07|
- On June 6, a Pride Drive took place in Buffalo Grove. More than 100 residential and commercial properties were decorated with pride decor, balloon art by Balloons by Tommy, music, rainbow treats and more. The Pride ...
|DANCE Joffrey Academy seeking submissions from minority applicants for competition 2021-06-01|
- The Joffrey Academy of Dance, Official School of The Joffrey Ballet, has announced a national call for ALAANA (African, Latinx, Asian, Arab and Native American) artists to submit applications for The Joffrey Academy's Twelfth Annual Winning ...
|ARTS 'Black Tie and Sneaker Ball' on July 9 2021-05-25|
- The Art of Giving Foundationdedicated to funding local art programs and artists in need of seed funding to launch or maintain social initiative programs that benefit their communitiesannounced its second annual fundraising gala, the "Black Tie ...
|DANCE Joffrey Ballet expands to South Loop 2021-05-11|
- The Joffrey Ballet announced the establishment of new studio space and training facilities at 1920 S.Wabash Ave. (formerly the Chicago Dance Academy studios)expanding the Joffrey's reach to the South Loop and beyond, and marking a major ...
|1970: The Police Murder of James Clay 2021-04-26|
Excerpt from Chicago After Stonewall: Gay Lib to Gay Life - " … One month after Finnie's Ball, a Chicago Defender headline read, 'Female Impersonator killed by cop in W. Side street brawl.' The Chicago Sun-Times headline read, 'Man slain fleeing police in bizarre W. Side clash.' ...