by Peter Mavrik
This article shared 1314 times since Wed Dec 24, 2003
Whenever anyone asks me what there is to do on a Monday night, I instantly scream at the top of my lungs "BINGO!" This usually elicits a curious look from the questioner, followed by a hushed response of "You aren't serious, are you?". Well yes kids, I'm deadly serious. "It's Just Bingo, Bitch!", the award-winning Monday night madness happening at Charlie's is not to be missed. Hosted by the stunning Lauren Jacobs and the equally fabulous Frida Lay, Monday night bingo at Charlie's is an experience everyone should have. But fear not! This isn't your ordinary Catholic church-hall game of bingo. Far from it. These two bingo-ball-bearing babes ( say that five times fast ... ) truly put on a show second to none. Part audience-participation, part game show, the duo of Jacobs and Lay bring their unique talents to life every Monday. With no cover at the door, free bingo with great prizes, free food, handsome Damon behind the bar, and two of the most entertaining personalities in dresses ( or gowns, or skirts, or wheel chairs, whatever ) that we have in Chicago, the next time you want to do something on Monday night, just remember "BINGO!" On Fridays, if you like the sounds of hip-hop, make your way to The Dragon Room at Halsted and Evergreen, a few blocks north of Division. i-candy Productions fills the club with a crowd of gorgeous females looking for females. Upstairs, DJ Freckles keeps the vibe hype on the crowded main floor. But take my advice and head down to the basement where DJ Stoney truly turns it out. Blending the rhythms of house, hip-hop, and nearly every other R&B genre, the more intimately styled basement carries a vibe of it's own. Stoney masterfully reads the audience and keeps his unique sound in tune with the energy of the crowd. Grab a drink from the bar in the back, sip it quick, and step in time with the beats in the air. If you are feeling dirty on a Friday night, it might be time to get in the shower and wash all your sins away in front of an audience. Or maybe you just enjoy watching people get wet. Whatever the case, every Friday night Spin holds their infamous shower contest at midnight. Hosted by many of Halsted's familiar painted ladies, if you haven't been back lately, now is the time. The crowd is energetic and fun, and Spin has recently re-styled the back room with more seating and open windows. Don't feel like dancing on the dance floor or watching the contest? Then head up front where you can enjoy all of your favorite videos played by live VJ's. Spin has something for everyone, and if you haven't stopped by on a Friday, come check it out. And now some shameless self-promotion. Hi! I'm Peter Mavrik; Aqueerian, underground DJ, raconteur, and newly minted scene contributor for this brilliant publication ( thank you Sukie! ) . You can find me pumping the sounds on the dance floor every Friday at Spin and alternating Thursdays at @mosphere in Andersonville. If you love me, or hate me, or want to tip me off on somewhere you've been or would like to go, you can reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org .Until next time, my heart beats with you in 4/4
This article shared 1314 times since Wed Dec 24, 2003
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Lollapalooza expected to return July 29-Aug. 1 2021-05-14|
- The Lollapalooza Festival will return to Chicago with a four-day event at its usual place and date range Grant Park, July 29-Aug. 1according to Variety. The City of Chicago gave the event the green light ...
|Ann Hampton Callaway releases 'Revelation' 2021-05-12|
--From a press release - The latest in a string of singles, Ann Hampton Callaway, releases "Revelation", a song she composed to a Robert Frost poem which she kept in her jeans pocket when she was a teenager. Callaway wrote the ...
|Tina Turner, The Go-Go's among 2021 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductees 2021-05-12|
- The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame revealed its 2021 inductees, calling this class "the most diverse list of inductees in the history of the organization." In the Performer category, inductees include The Go-Go's, Tina Turner, ...
|Jody Watley: Conversation with an icon 2021-05-09|
- Singer Jody Watley has been many things during her illustrious career, including an activist, fashion plate—but, most certainly, a musician. Among her many achievements in that latter area are a Grammy win; a Lifetime Achievement Award ...
|SHOWBIZ Tig Notaro, films, E. Lynn Harris, Nick Jonas 2021-05-09|
- Emmy- and Grammy-nominated stand-up comedian Tig Notaro (HBO's Tig Notaro: Boyish Girl Interrupted), will return to HBO this summer with the first-ever fully animated stand-up special, HBO announced. The special ...
|Citadel Theatre to return in fall with a four-show 2021-22 season 2021-05-08|
--From a press release - LAKE FOREST, IL - Citadel Theatre Company will return to live, in-person, indoor performances in September with a season of four productions — three plays plus the company's traditional holiday musical - according to Artistic Director ...
|Ravinia Festival announces 2021 summer programming 2021-05-06|
--From a press release - HIGHLAND PARK, IL — The Ravinia Festival, under the direction of its new President and CEO Jeffrey P. Haydon, announced the concert schedule for 2021 today, celebrating the reopening of the park for the first time ...
|Mayor Lightfoot, DCASE announce Chicago summer events 2021-05-06|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot, the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE), Choose Chicago, and Chicago's cultural community today announced "Open Culture" — the next phase of ...
|Northalsted plans to hold Market Days Aug. 6-8 2021-05-04|
- The Northalsted Business Alliance plans to host Market Days August 6-8, adding a Friday night edition, the first in its 38-year history. As vaccinations increase and Illinois begins planning for stage 5 reopening, organizers of the ...
|Heather Headley to headline Goodman Theatre's May 22 virtual gala 2021-05-03|
- Goodman Theatre announced that Tony-winning Broadway actor and Grammy Award-winning singer Heather Headley will headline the company's "Together Center Stage" virtual 2021 gala fundraiser. "Together Center Stage" is slated to stream Saturday, May 22, ...
|Jeannie Tanner show at City Winery on May 20 2021-05-03|
- On Thursday, May 20, at 7 p.m., City Winery Chicago, 1200 W. Randolph St., will host the first in-person performance of "3 Martini Jeannie." Throughout the pandemic, every Friday at 5 p.m., Tanner celebrated the close ...
|Vintage House show honoring Chicago House Music with DJ Lori Branch May 5 2021-05-03|
--From a press release - Chicago, IL. May 3, 2021. Paving the way for every DJ behind her, DJ Lori Branch is continuously receiving flowers for her talents and dedication to music. Currently, through May, Spotify (spotify.com/chicago) billboards highlighting Chicago music ...
|Windy City Smokeout to return July 8-11 2021-04-29|
- The outdoor country-music/BBQ festival Windy City Smokeout will return to Chicago on July 8-11 outside the United Center, 1901 W. Madison St. Hosted by BBQ joint Bub City and the venue Joe's Bar, the event will ...
|Pride in the Park' on June 26-27 2021-04-29|
- There will be at least one big LGBTQ+ event in Chicago this summer. Pride in the Park is slated to take place June 26-27 in Grant Park. It will be 2-10 p.m. on June 26, and 3-10 p.m. the following day. ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Joe Exotic' series, Luther Vandross, singer's announcement, star couples 2021-04-25|
- Hedwig and the Angry Inch's John Cameron Mitchell has been tapped to play the title character opposite Kate McKinnon in the series Joe Exotic (working title), Deadline reported. The limited series centers on Carole Baskin (McKinnon), ...