||With You in 4/4
by Peter Mavrik
This article shared 1634 times since Wed Aug 17, 2005
The other day a Judy of mine whispered in my ear that Hed Kandi, one of the more stylish dance compilation House labels, was back in the record stacks with a two disc set called Disco Heaven 01.05. So I had to do my duty and check it out. While it's true that this set isn't too new, having dropped earlier this year, it's worth talking about. But first, a touch of background.
I've written before about Hed Kandi and its many compilations. The thing that keeps me coming back for more is how tight the play lists are. Mark Doyle, aka Hed Kandi, has a wonderful knack for capturing the mood of a group of songs and packaging them in just the right way. From Deep House to bright and shiny Disco House, he knows just what it takes to bring you popular House tunes while slipping in some new ones for a bit of flavor.
Disco Heaven 01.05 is part of that bright and shiny flavor of music that makes you want to boogie and smile on the dance floor. It's filled with Garage and Disco House that will funk you into next week and beyond. The following is only a sample of the great tunes found in this set.
Disc one starts you on the journey with diva Shawn Christopher telling you 'You Can Make It' remixed by Jamie Lewis of Purple Music fame, a fabulous label. This track captures THE vocal House sound of the moment. Along the way Lisa Millet and the Soul Rebels give us 'I'll Be Good', a summer thumper of a track. Mauve and StoneBridge then work up a new hit 'Take Me Away' featuring a happy futuristic sounding Therese. The breakdown is to die for. I'll actually play that one all the way through. The last track on disc one is a remake of the Candy Stanton hit 'You Got The Love' by Solitare. One listen and you'll reach for your hoop earrings and bell bottoms.
Disc two feels like being an after-hours party with people you haven't seen in years. Which might be a good thing or not, but there is definitely some strangeness at the end of it all.
Inaya Day vocally battles with a piano on the Soul Avengers remix of 'Hold Your Head Up High'. It's pretty intense, even for her. There's a lively track called 'So Many Times' by Gadjo that's been creeping into the Underground 'floors. Definitely a fun one. Milk & Sugar vamps up the Disco on 'Stay Around' in a big way. And then, in an odd twist, two very unique remakes close the disc. The first, by LnM Projekt is a remake of 'Everywhere' by Fleetwood Mac. Bizarre. The second is a remake of Michael Jackson's 'Man In The Mirror' by Rhythme Fatal. Both are campy and fun, proving that Hed Kandi has both a sense of style and a sense of humor.
With you in 4/4,
This article shared 1634 times since Wed Aug 17, 2005
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Pride Journey: Iceland 2022-03-21|
- The only way to describe Iceland is ... magical. It truly is. Iceland is like no other place I've visited in the world. It's topography, climate, people, culture, history, and nightlife blended together make Iceland a ...
|PASSAGES Jeffrey Wayne ("Jef") Morgan 2022-01-11|
- Jeffrey Wayne "Jef" Morgan, of Chicago's West Rogers Park neighborhood, passed away unexpectedly from a heart attack while shoveling snow on Jan. 2. He was 58. Jef was the well-loved manager at Little Jim's on ...
|'Andersonville Homecoming' Sept. 24-26; line-up, vendors, safety protocols announced 2021-09-15|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (Sept. 15, 2021) The Andersonville Chamber of Commerce (ACC) is pleased to announce the full entertainment line-up and vendors for Andersonville Homecoming--a three-night, two-day outdoor festival featuring ...
|Next OUTspoken show Sept. 7 2021-08-24|
- An OUTspoken Storytelling Night taking place Tuesday, Sept. 7, will offer tales told by six people who will relate their stories of fun and fortune from a LGBTQ+ perspective. The entertainment will start at 7 p.m. ...
|Taste of River North cancelled 2021-07-29|
- On July 29, the River North Residents Association, along with theMART and Duff Entertainment, announced the cancellation of the 2021 edition of Taste of River North. The event was slated to take place Aug. 20-21 at ...
|OUTspoken storytelling to host six takes from LGBTQ+ perspective 2021-07-26|
--From a press release - The month of August is hot - but OUTspoken at the Sidetrack will be even hotter on Aug. 3 when six storytellers will tell tales of fun and fortune from a LGBTQ+ perspective! The program will start at 7:00 pm at ...
|LGBTQIA+ tavern to open in Uptown this fall 2021-07-14|
- 2Bears Tavern Groupwhich owns and operates Andersonville's The SoFo Tap and Meeting House Tavern as well as Rogers Park's Jackhammeris opening 2Bears Tavern Uptown in the former Nick's on Wilson space at 1140 W. Wilson Ave. ...
|Pride Parade coordinator provides latest on the 'likely scenario' for event 2021-05-08|
- Tim Frye, the coordinator of the 2021 Pride Parade, told Windy City Times that the assessment of this year's event has not changed over the last few weeks. The official statement/assessment at this point is: "We ...
|OUTspoken Storytelling to host tales from LGBTQ perspectives Nov. 10 2020-11-01|
--From a press release - Another exciting OUTspoken Storytelling Night will offer the perspective of four Chicagoans telling life's stories from their LGBTQ+ viewpoint or that of their close friends and relatives, Tuesday, Nov. 10, starting at 7 p.m. on Zoom. ...
|Arts in the Dark Halloween Parade, this year a drive-through 2020-10-26|
--From a Chicago Park District press release - CHICAGO: LUMA8, in collaboration with the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE), the Chicago Park District and Presenting Sponsor, the Blommer Chocolate Company, is pleased to announce Arts in the Dark - an UPSIDE ...
|Nightlines 1990-2001, Nightspots 2001-2015 2020-09-30|
- Throughout the 1990s, Nightlines focused on the LGBTQ entertainment scene, from the bars to the stage and everything in between. With the new millennium came a significant format change as Nightspots focused in on the bar ...
|PASSAGES Former Northalsted bartender Eric Sangster dies at 37 2020-09-27|
- Northalsted bartender Eric Sangster died Sept. 17 unexpectedly at the age of 37. At the time of this article's publication, Sangster's cause of death is unknown. Sangster was born June 4, 1983, on a Jacksonville, North ...
|PASSAGES Gay business owner/nightlife figure Bob Yeaworth dies 2020-09-20|
- Gay business owner and promoter Robert "Bob" Yeaworth died Sept. 14 from complications due to his ALS (also known as Lou Gehrig's disease) diagnosis. He was 64. Yeaworth was born Sept. 17, 1955 in Cincinnati, Ohio, ...
|PASSAGES Medusa's owner Dave Shelton passes away 2020-08-19|
- Dave Shelton, a.k.a. Dave "Medusa" Sheltonso named for his trademark frizzy locks "just was different," recalled his good friend of 45 years, Richard Cooke. Shelton was the proprietor of the iconic nightspot Medusa's on Sheffield in ...
|Gerber/Hart fall benefit Sept. 12-13
- The Gerber/Hart Library and Archives fall benefit"Saving LGBTQ History: Archives in a Time of Activism"will take place Sept. 12-13 at the venue, 6500 N. Clark St. On those days, there will be a series of 90-minute ...