||With You in 4/4
by Peter Mavrik
This article shared 1274 times since Wed Mar 16, 2005
Peter Mavrik's Clubbin' Tip #7: Ask the DJ if ( s ) he takes requests before demanding they play a song. If they say no, be nice. Think before you make a request. If you're listening to the latest Kylie, don't request that Heavy D track you love from '93 and expect it to be the next song. Above all, respect the set.
Well, I'm happy to say that quite a few fantastic tracks have crept onto the dance floor. Just like the flowers, the new music begins to bloom around this time of the year. The Winter Music Conference is also on the way, so a lot of producers are getting their big guns loaded and ready.
The Latin flavor of Scott Wozniak echoes around the 'floor on his latest track Can I Hear The Drum. Obviously very heavy on the percussion, 83 West has edited this track into a frenzy, lounging it up and down with some sexy piano keys in the best traditions of Deep House. They've even done a pure beats-only track to let you fill the club ( or your house ) with their groove.
For the diva in all of you, Chance is back on the Generate Music 5 label. Her Aretha-like vocals have been transformed into my new personal anthem by Deepswing on a track called Diva. There's five mixes and an a cappella, so if you're in a dance floor kind of mood, the Full Range Vocal mix is perfect. The Deeprhodes Mix will jazz you up with some sax, and Eddie Amador's Mochico Beatdown will make you get up and sweat. ''Cause I'm a diva. Diva!' is my new mantra.
Druw and Perez featuring Don-E have put together a hot 'floor filler on Coppyright Recordings called A Little Sunshine. My usual rule is that I don't like male vocals. But this is definitely the exception. Both Knee Deep and Copyright ( love them! ) have taken their turn at remixing the original. The Knee Deep mix is a happy blend of trumpets and flutes. Equally as happy is the Copyright Mix, fusing a break-beat rhythm with sax and trumpets. The first time I played it, there were nothing but hands in the air on the 'floor.
Finally, I will evangelize once again. You've just gotta love Disco House, especially when you're hearing a remix of the legendary group First Choice. Their seminal Philly Disco sound is still making dance floors happy. RedSoul has created three remixes of Smarty Pants out on Philly Groove Records. The Groove Instrumental and Groove Mix tracks are high energy House, full of breakdowns, strings, and those delicious First Choice Disco vocals that will make you want to pick out your afro. The Philly Thumper remix is the ultimate in Disco House. The filtered vocals and string loops are paired with beats and bass lines that make you want to boogie until you drop. They've even thrown in a Disco Edit of the original track. This one is definitely something you do not want to miss.
With you in 4/4,
This article shared 1274 times since Wed Mar 16, 2005
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|OUTspoken Storytelling to host tales from LGBTQ perspectives Nov. 10 2020-11-01|
--From a press release - Another exciting OUTspoken Storytelling Night will offer the perspective of four Chicagoans telling life's stories from their LGBTQ+ viewpoint or that of their close friends and relatives, Tuesday, Nov. 10, starting at 7 p.m. on Zoom. ...
|Arts in the Dark Halloween Parade, this year a drive-through 2020-10-26|
--From a Chicago Park District press release - CHICAGO: LUMA8, in collaboration with the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE), the Chicago Park District and Presenting Sponsor, the Blommer Chocolate Company, is pleased to announce Arts in the Dark - an UPSIDE ...
|Nightlines 1990-2001, Nightspots 2001-2015 2020-09-30|
- Throughout the 1990s, Nightlines focused on the LGBTQ entertainment scene, from the bars to the stage and everything in between. With the new millennium came a significant format change as Nightspots focused in on the bar ...
|PASSAGES Former Northalsted bartender Eric Sangster dies at 37 2020-09-27|
- Northalsted bartender Eric Sangster died Sept. 17 unexpectedly at the age of 37. At the time of this article's publication, Sangster's cause of death is unknown. Sangster was born June 4, 1983, on a Jacksonville, North ...
|PASSAGES Gay business owner/nightlife figure Bob Yeaworth dies 2020-09-20|
- Gay business owner and promoter Robert "Bob" Yeaworth died Sept. 14 from complications due to his ALS (also known as Lou Gehrig's disease) diagnosis. He was 64. Yeaworth was born Sept. 17, 1955 in Cincinnati, Ohio, ...
|PASSAGES Medusa's owner Dave Shelton passes away 2020-08-19|
- Dave Shelton, a.k.a. Dave "Medusa" Sheltonso named for his trademark frizzy locks "just was different," recalled his good friend of 45 years, Richard Cooke. Shelton was the proprietor of the iconic nightspot Medusa's on Sheffield in ...
|Gerber/Hart fall benefit Sept. 12-13
- The Gerber/Hart Library and Archives fall benefit"Saving LGBTQ History: Archives in a Time of Activism"will take place Sept. 12-13 at the venue, 6500 N. Clark St. On those days, there will be a series of 90-minute ...
|Holocaust Museum's virtual soiree Sept. 2 2020-08-06|
- On Wed., Sept. 2, Illinois Holocaust Museum & Education Center's Women's Leadership Committee will host its annual soirée virtually. The event will stream live from a studio with a star-studded line-up featuring a musical performance by ...
|Virtual OPALGA+ scholarship gala slated for Oct. 24 2020-08-06|
- OPALGA+/Oak Park Area Lesbian & Gay Association will hold a virtual scholarship gala Saturday, Oct. 24, at 7 p.m. The event will feature video clips from the organization's scholarship winners, the Founder's Award celebration and opportunities ...
|La Cage aux FUN, opening weekend at A-ville's The Bird Cage 2020-07-22|
- Photos by Joseph Stevens Photography ...
|Survey open for potential Boystown name change 2020-07-21|
- Northalsted Business Alliance is asking for the public to weigh in on the "Boystown" moniker. The Alliance has published a survey asking community members' opinions on the Lake View neighborhood, which was officially designated an "LGBTQ+ ...
|Last call for Little Jim's 2020-07-05|
- Longtime Lake View tavern Little Jim's shut its doors July 2. Billing itself as "the original hookup bar," Jim Gates opened Little Jim's in 1975, and it was one of the first gay bars in the Boystown area. Gates sold the ...
Replay closes July 5-6 after employee tests positive 2020-07-05|
- The restaurant Replay Andersonville, 5358 N. Clark St., is closing July 5-6 after owner Mark Liberson posted on Facebook that an employee tested positive for COVID-19. On July 5, Liberson posted, "While this post is not ...
|Pride Fest Chicago goes virtual 2020-06-24|
- Chicago's beloved annual Pride Fest made the move to Twitch for a special Virtual Pride Fest, presented by Northalsted Business Alliance and Gilead Sciences. The virtual fest streamed on the platform over two nights, Saturday, June ...
|'Chicago Is a [Digital] Drag Festival' June 30 2020-06-21|
- The Chicago Is a [Digital] Drag Festivala Brave Space Alliance fundraiser, with Shea Coulee hostingwill take place Tuesday, June 30, at 8 p.m. CT. Just a few of the personalities slated to appear/perform are The Vixen, ...