||With You in 4/4
by Peter Mavrik
This article shared 1409 times since Wed Jan 12, 2005
Every once in a while nature calls during one of my sets at Spin. It's usually no big deal because I'll choose the longer mix of some track and run off to take care of my business. On my way to the little DJ's room, someone inevitably stops me to ask the name of the song I played five minutes ago 'that one with the female vocals.' Duh. That's all I play...
Anyway, after making some polite excuse-me noises I can usually manage to slip away for a moment, relieve myself, wash my hands ( I can't stand folks who don't wash their hands after any sort of potty time...gross ) and head back to preach to the interrogator of the moment about the fabulous track ( s ) he just heard.
So without any further fanfare, here's the list of tracks that you've all been asking about over and over when I'm on my way to the loo.
Ann Nesby 'Shelter' – One of the most misquoted songs I play, people think it's a churched up version of 'Rhythm is a Dancer.' It's not. She's saying 'Shelter. He Gives Me Shelter' in reference to God. There's nothing quite like Miss Nesby hollering at you about the big person up above.
Milk & Sugar 'Let The Sunshine In' – A track present in nearly every single set I play, everyone always asks who it is. It's not a remix of the legendary Fifth Dimension track. Instead, the M&S team has redone the vocals and mixed it up with a Latin feel. Definitely a crowd pleaser that everyone knows the words to.
Brownstone 'If You Love Me' – One for the ladies, the movie 'Living Out Loud' brought this track to a whole group of people who might have otherwise passed it by. Lyrically it's one of the best full-vocal tracks on my 'floor. The hook is incredibly catchy 'if you love me; say it! If you trust me; do it! If you want me; show it! If you need me; prove it!' Flawless. It's part of my personal soundtrack-of-the-mind in an Ally McBeal kind of way. I've sung it in my head at a few men in my past.
Loleatta Holloway 'Dreamin'' The Mavrik Moves Me Mix – Loleatta Holloway, an original Disco diva, was remixed into a frenzy by Satoshi Tomiie. I've reworked the remix and turned it into a very Peter Mavrik sound. This is a classic tunes that the house-heads know and love. Just hearing her scream the hook 'Stand up, tell everybody I got him!' sends them running to the 'floor.
Cajmere featuring Dajae 'Brighter Days' – Lord have mercy, from the first 'Oooh, ohhh, ahhh, eee' people always holler when this track comes on. The remixes are hard to find for cheap these days, and the underground goodies tracks on the B-side with the jazz clarinet gets them going. This is ground-stompin', window-shakin', thundering house.
Always with you in 4/4,
This article shared 1409 times since Wed Jan 12, 2005
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|'Andersonville Homecoming' Sept. 24-26; line-up, vendors, safety protocols announced 2021-09-15|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (Sept. 15, 2021) — The Andersonville Chamber of Commerce (ACC) is pleased to announce the full entertainment line-up and vendors for Andersonville Homecoming--a three-night, two-day outdoor festival featuring ...
|Next OUTspoken show Sept. 7 2021-08-24|
- An OUTspoken Storytelling Night taking place Tuesday, Sept. 7, will offer tales told by six people who will relate their stories of fun and fortune from a LGBTQ+ perspective. The entertainment will start at 7 p.m. ...
|Taste of River North cancelled 2021-07-29|
- On July 29, the River North Residents Association, along with theMART and Duff Entertainment, announced the cancellation of the 2021 edition of Taste of River North. The event was slated to take place Aug. 20-21 at ...
|OUTspoken storytelling to host six takes from LGBTQ+ perspective 2021-07-26|
--From a press release - The month of August is hot - but OUTspoken at the Sidetrack will be even hotter on Aug. 3 when six storytellers will tell tales of fun and fortune from a LGBTQ+ perspective! The program will start at 7:00 pm at ...
|LGBTQIA+ tavern to open in Uptown this fall 2021-07-14|
- 2Bears Tavern Groupwhich owns and operates Andersonville's The SoFo Tap and Meeting House Tavern as well as Rogers Park's Jackhammeris opening 2Bears Tavern Uptown in the former Nick's on Wilson space at 1140 W. Wilson Ave. ...
|Pride Parade coordinator provides latest on the 'likely scenario' for event 2021-05-08|
- Tim Frye, the coordinator of the 2021 Pride Parade, told Windy City Times that the assessment of this year's event has not changed over the last few weeks. The official statement/assessment at this point is: "We ...
|OUTspoken Storytelling to host tales from LGBTQ perspectives Nov. 10 2020-11-01|
--From a press release - Another exciting OUTspoken Storytelling Night will offer the perspective of four Chicagoans telling life's stories from their LGBTQ+ viewpoint or that of their close friends and relatives, Tuesday, Nov. 10, starting at 7 p.m. on Zoom. ...
|Arts in the Dark Halloween Parade, this year a drive-through 2020-10-26|
--From a Chicago Park District press release - CHICAGO: LUMA8, in collaboration with the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE), the Chicago Park District and Presenting Sponsor, the Blommer Chocolate Company, is pleased to announce Arts in the Dark - an UPSIDE ...
|Nightlines 1990-2001, Nightspots 2001-2015 2020-09-30|
- Throughout the 1990s, Nightlines focused on the LGBTQ entertainment scene, from the bars to the stage and everything in between. With the new millennium came a significant format change as Nightspots focused in on the bar ...
|PASSAGES Former Northalsted bartender Eric Sangster dies at 37 2020-09-27|
- Northalsted bartender Eric Sangster died Sept. 17 unexpectedly at the age of 37. At the time of this article's publication, Sangster's cause of death is unknown. Sangster was born June 4, 1983, on a Jacksonville, North ...
|PASSAGES Gay business owner/nightlife figure Bob Yeaworth dies 2020-09-20|
- Gay business owner and promoter Robert "Bob" Yeaworth died Sept. 14 from complications due to his ALS (also known as Lou Gehrig's disease) diagnosis. He was 64. Yeaworth was born Sept. 17, 1955 in Cincinnati, Ohio, ...
|PASSAGES Medusa's owner Dave Shelton passes away 2020-08-19|
- Dave Shelton, a.k.a. Dave "Medusa" Sheltonso named for his trademark frizzy locks "just was different," recalled his good friend of 45 years, Richard Cooke. Shelton was the proprietor of the iconic nightspot Medusa's on Sheffield in ...
|Gerber/Hart fall benefit Sept. 12-13
- The Gerber/Hart Library and Archives fall benefit"Saving LGBTQ History: Archives in a Time of Activism"will take place Sept. 12-13 at the venue, 6500 N. Clark St. On those days, there will be a series of 90-minute ...
|Holocaust Museum's virtual soiree Sept. 2 2020-08-06|
- On Wed., Sept. 2, Illinois Holocaust Museum & Education Center's Women's Leadership Committee will host its annual soirée virtually. The event will stream live from a studio with a star-studded line-up featuring a musical performance by ...
|Virtual OPALGA+ scholarship gala slated for Oct. 24 2020-08-06|
- OPALGA+/Oak Park Area Lesbian & Gay Association will hold a virtual scholarship gala Saturday, Oct. 24, at 7 p.m. The event will feature video clips from the organization's scholarship winners, the Founder's Award celebration and opportunities ...