||With You in 4/4
by Peter Mavrik
This article shared 1553 times since Wed Nov 24, 2004
Did you see miss Anna Nicole's messy self on the American Music Awards? Her parents must be so embarrassed. However, that show brings up a question I've always had. Why have an American Music Awards? Why BET / MTV / VH1 / People's Choice Awards? Is this a fashion thing? Is it pure press? If you ask me, the Grammy awards are the true measure, given by the Recording Academy. Popularity contests bore me. Apparently they bore Anna Nicole too. She was higher than a kite and dumber than usual.
Now onto dance music. Gloriously sweet rhythms and vocals that make you want to get on the floor and move. People often ask me how I go about shopping for new music. Truthfully, I don't know that I do it any different than anyone else. But I do know one thing; as soon as I hear a track that I like, my heartbeat quickens and I start to nod my head with the beat. As Valmont said "It's beyond my control." ( name the movie )
On a recent trip online I managed to target a handful of tracks that make me move. I've been on this kick of purchasing only things that will send the energy through the roof. All prime-time dance floor stuff with hollerin' divas. You know me... . So here's a taste of what I came up with:
ATFC ( aka Aydin Hasirci ) , the re-mixer that blew up the charts on his debut, is blowing up speakers once again with his record label OnePhatDeeva and songstress Inaya Day on Mine. Known for her ubiquitous presence as a backup singer on damn near everyone's album, Inaya has a voice that can go from the deepest jazz to legendary trance anthems that the shirtless boys adore. Her signature wail and gospel style lyrics are mixed with very digital disco beats. The hook is pure joy as she sings about how happy she is that she has her man. Sing it girl.
Raw Essence/Joey Negro/Dave Lee ( all the same person, but with a million names ) has teamed with Brian Tappert and Julius Knight to create the disco boogie sound that's infusing most of the current House music out there. Their latest is "Do You Love What You Feel" featuring a vocal hook by Maxine McClain out on Z Records. It's a House lover's paradise of picked bass lines and hissy high-hats with a liberal dose of filtering. It's the kind of track that makes you feel good all over. Even in that special place.
The Bongolovers, and their bongo laden ( duh ) track "Power Of Love" are taking the prime time dance floor sound to a deeper level of Underground Latin flavored sound. People love the bongo, and every time you give it to them on the 'floor they can't get enough. This track is full of thundering House beats, and a definite floor mover.
This article shared 1553 times since Wed Nov 24, 2004
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Pride Journey: Iceland 2022-03-21|
- The only way to describe Iceland is ... magical. It truly is. Iceland is like no other place I've visited in the world. It's topography, climate, people, culture, history, and nightlife blended together make Iceland a ...
|PASSAGES Jeffrey Wayne ("Jef") Morgan 2022-01-11|
- Jeffrey Wayne "Jef" Morgan, of Chicago's West Rogers Park neighborhood, passed away unexpectedly from a heart attack while shoveling snow on Jan. 2. He was 58. Jef was the well-loved manager at Little Jim's on ...
|'Andersonville Homecoming' Sept. 24-26; line-up, vendors, safety protocols announced 2021-09-15|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (Sept. 15, 2021) The Andersonville Chamber of Commerce (ACC) is pleased to announce the full entertainment line-up and vendors for Andersonville Homecoming--a three-night, two-day outdoor festival featuring ...
|Next OUTspoken show Sept. 7 2021-08-24|
- An OUTspoken Storytelling Night taking place Tuesday, Sept. 7, will offer tales told by six people who will relate their stories of fun and fortune from a LGBTQ+ perspective. The entertainment will start at 7 p.m. ...
|Taste of River North cancelled 2021-07-29|
- On July 29, the River North Residents Association, along with theMART and Duff Entertainment, announced the cancellation of the 2021 edition of Taste of River North. The event was slated to take place Aug. 20-21 at ...
|OUTspoken storytelling to host six takes from LGBTQ+ perspective 2021-07-26|
--From a press release - The month of August is hot - but OUTspoken at the Sidetrack will be even hotter on Aug. 3 when six storytellers will tell tales of fun and fortune from a LGBTQ+ perspective! The program will start at 7:00 pm at ...
|LGBTQIA+ tavern to open in Uptown this fall 2021-07-14|
- 2Bears Tavern Groupwhich owns and operates Andersonville's The SoFo Tap and Meeting House Tavern as well as Rogers Park's Jackhammeris opening 2Bears Tavern Uptown in the former Nick's on Wilson space at 1140 W. Wilson Ave. ...
|Pride Parade coordinator provides latest on the 'likely scenario' for event 2021-05-08|
- Tim Frye, the coordinator of the 2021 Pride Parade, told Windy City Times that the assessment of this year's event has not changed over the last few weeks. The official statement/assessment at this point is: "We ...
|OUTspoken Storytelling to host tales from LGBTQ perspectives Nov. 10 2020-11-01|
--From a press release - Another exciting OUTspoken Storytelling Night will offer the perspective of four Chicagoans telling life's stories from their LGBTQ+ viewpoint or that of their close friends and relatives, Tuesday, Nov. 10, starting at 7 p.m. on Zoom. ...
|Arts in the Dark Halloween Parade, this year a drive-through 2020-10-26|
--From a Chicago Park District press release - CHICAGO: LUMA8, in collaboration with the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE), the Chicago Park District and Presenting Sponsor, the Blommer Chocolate Company, is pleased to announce Arts in the Dark - an UPSIDE ...
|Nightlines 1990-2001, Nightspots 2001-2015 2020-09-30|
- Throughout the 1990s, Nightlines focused on the LGBTQ entertainment scene, from the bars to the stage and everything in between. With the new millennium came a significant format change as Nightspots focused in on the bar ...
|PASSAGES Former Northalsted bartender Eric Sangster dies at 37 2020-09-27|
- Northalsted bartender Eric Sangster died Sept. 17 unexpectedly at the age of 37. At the time of this article's publication, Sangster's cause of death is unknown. Sangster was born June 4, 1983, on a Jacksonville, North ...
|PASSAGES Gay business owner/nightlife figure Bob Yeaworth dies 2020-09-20|
- Gay business owner and promoter Robert "Bob" Yeaworth died Sept. 14 from complications due to his ALS (also known as Lou Gehrig's disease) diagnosis. He was 64. Yeaworth was born Sept. 17, 1955 in Cincinnati, Ohio, ...
|PASSAGES Medusa's owner Dave Shelton passes away 2020-08-19|
- Dave Shelton, a.k.a. Dave "Medusa" Sheltonso named for his trademark frizzy locks "just was different," recalled his good friend of 45 years, Richard Cooke. Shelton was the proprietor of the iconic nightspot Medusa's on Sheffield in ...
|Gerber/Hart fall benefit Sept. 12-13
- The Gerber/Hart Library and Archives fall benefit"Saving LGBTQ History: Archives in a Time of Activism"will take place Sept. 12-13 at the venue, 6500 N. Clark St. On those days, there will be a series of 90-minute ...