|With You in 4/4
by Peter Mavrik
This article shared 1676 times since Wed Aug 18, 2004
In a parade of bare-chested men, scores of women hand-in-hand, puppies, evil strollers, and an omnipresent cloud of cooking smoke, Market Days 2004 came and went. This year seemed very relaxed compared to years prior. It was great to see the beautiful mix of people on Halsted. As usual, the boys were out in force, standing and posing everywhere along the way. But this year the girls were definitely representing. The straight folks, too.
The stages were filled with a myriad of acts from one genre to the next. The ubiquitous ROTC boys twirled and whirled their way around. Jinx Titanic got the crowd all excited on Sunday, sounding fantastic as usual, but I hope Jinxy is OK. The poor dear sounded a little hoarse. Of course, there is nothing quite like a big hairy man with his shirt off screamin' at the crowd. Even the girls in the crowd were into it.
One of the high points, or at least it was going to be for me, was Lady Miss Kier, formerly of Deee-Lite. She was supposed to DJ at the Addison stage on Sunday at 8:30. Apparently someone couldn't figure out how to plug her in because the only thing that seemed to be emanating from her turntables was a buzzing noise that vaguely sounded like a techno beat. At 9:15, with a heavy heart, we made our way back to home base at Spin, saddened that we didn't get to hear La Kier on the decks. *sigh*
Back in the Spin neck of the woods, we heard Cathy Richardson jamming on stage with a great band. Her powerful voice has all the familiar qualities of the female singers we know, yet she puts a brilliant spin on the Neo-folk (yes, I'm coining that word if nobody else will) sound out there. She's definitely one to pay attention to.
Speaking of powerful women, Toby Lightman is really shaking things up on the female vocalist scene. There are pop stars and there are singers. Toby's vocal presence is, first and foremost, that of a singer. "Little Things" is a collection of soulful rock that is somewhere between R&B and folk music. The vocals are definitely in the R&B range of things, but the acoustic guitar riffs and leads in nearly every song are comforting in a down-home way.
There isn't time to single out individual tracks except one. Track 7, "Little Thing", is a masterful production of a cappella vocals. The greatest thing about this track, and the album in general, is that ALL vocals are done by Miss Lightman. So when you're hearing six or seven people singing harmony together, it's all her. A testament to the brilliance of her voice and the magic of a good producer. "Little Things" is a journey, so rare in the album world, that you want to stick with from start to finish.
With you in 4/4,
This article shared 1676 times since Wed Aug 18, 2004
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE
|Asians and Friends welcomes the Year of the Dragon 2024-02-26
- On the evening of Feb. 25, Asians and Friends kicked off the Lunar New Year with their annual dinner and celebration at Pho Viet Vietnamese Restaurant. This year's event was focused on this being the Year ...
|Looking back at Chicago LGBTQ+ community's stand against Anheuser-Busch 2024-01-30
- As conservatives across the country boycotted Anheuser-Busch products for Bud Light's partnership with trans woman Dylan Mulvaney in 2023, LGBTQ+ bars in Chicago removed their products for a different reason. Following the deeply negative response to ...
|Berlin Nightclub closes after nearly 40 years, following boycott 2023-11-21
Decades of Photo Archives below - After nearly forty years, Berlin Nightclub, 954 W. Belmont Ave., officially closed its doors Nov. 19 following a months-long fight between its owners and unionized workers. Owners Jim Schuman and Jo Webster officially announced Berlin Nightclub's ...
|Happy Hail-loween: Rough weather doesn't get the better of Haunted Halsted revelers 2023-11-03
- The 26th annual Haunted Halsted Halloween Parade returned for the 26th time on Oct. 31. Attendees were challenged by a mix of rain, snow and hail as they marched down Halsted Street from Belmont Avenue towards ...
|Berlin Nightclub workers urge customers to boycott as they fight for fair contract 2023-10-31
- Berlin Nightclub workers are calling for people to boycott the LGBTQ+ club while they push for their first contract, which they hope will include increased wages and access to healthcare. Berlin Nightclub workers unionized in April ...
|MIR's Intergalactic Rubber celebration soars to a suburb not too far way 2023-10-27
Photos by Joseph Stevens - Mister International Rubber (MIR) 27, this year themed as Intergalactic Rubber, took off Oct. 19-22 from their new location at the DoubleTree Hotel by Hilton in Skokie. MIR26 Pusckatt Pumera Onyx stepped down and passed their ...
|GAY HISTORY MONTH In the '60s, drag found a home in San Francisco's Glen Park 2023-10-02
- Special to Windy City Times. To mark Gay History Month, this article appears courtesy of the Bay Area Reporter. During the '60s most LGBTQ nightlife in San Francisco was centered in the northern neighborhoods of the ...
|Nobody's Darling celebrates expansion into adjoining property with soft opening event 2023-09-24
- In the little over two years since its opening, Nobody's Darling in Andersonville has emerged as one of the premiere inclusive spaces to gather in Chicago. Nobody's Darling has become so successful that co-owners Angela Barnes ...
|Chicago musician, producer and DJ Don Crescendo killed in Avondale stabbing 2023-09-20
- Chicago's LGBTQ+ nightlife community and allies have rallied around the family and close friends of local longtime musician, producer and DJ Rodney Donovan Taylor, a.k.a. Don Crescendo, in the wake of his death by stabbing last ...
|MUSIC Kylie Minogue to debut Vegas residency this fall 2023-07-28
- The Venetian Resort Las Vegas revealed details surrounding its new 1,000-seat nightlife space, Voltaire, with the announcement of its first headlinerpop sensation and LGBTQ+ ally Kylie Minogue, a press release ...
|Bears, cubs and their admirers return for Illinois Bear Contest 2023-04-11
- Visitors and Chicagoans gathered at Charlies Chicago, 3726 N. Broadway, on April 7 to kick off the Illinois Bear Contest weekend, the first since 2019. The contest itself took place the following evening at Leather Archives ...
|SHOWBIZ Trans musicians, NHL, 'Queen Charlotte,' Jinkx Monsoon, Anderson Cooper 2023-04-08
- The Face published an article about five trans musicians who should be on people's playlists. British queer nightlife legend Mya Mehmi said that those musicians include New York's Ms Boogie, London-based Harve, Arca, Ms. Carrie Stacks ...
|Winners chosen in the International Puppy and Trainer Contest 2023-04-03
- The International Puppy & Trainer Contest was held in Chicago the weekend of March 31 to April 2 for the first time since 2019. The contest's Meet & Greet was held at Cellblock on March 31. The contest was hosted the ...
|PASSAGES: Visual artist, Chicago nightlife scene drag performer legend and hairdresser Jojo Baby 2023-03-16
- Visual artist, Chicago nightlife scene drag performer legend, doll-maker and hairdresser Jojo Baby died March 14 of liver, lung and stomach cancer. They were 51. Baby was born April 10, 1971, in Chicago and grew up ...
|Puppy & Handler Contest returns 2023-02-21
Joseph Stephens - The Midwest Puppy & Handler Contest took place the weekend of Feb. 17-18 for the first time since 2019. The contest's meet-and-greet was held at Cellblock Feb. 17. The contest itself was hosted by the Leather ...
|NATIONAL Chuck Schumer, anti-marriage bill, drag event back on, military doctor
|Oklahoma non-binary student dies after being assaulted
|SHOWBIZ Kristen Stewart, Rock Hudson, Talia Keys, 'True Detective,' Marvel comic
|911 calls, videos show cascade of failures in Nex Benedict's death, GLAAD responds
|Howard Brown Health Names Robin Gay, DMD as Interim President and CEO