||With You in 4/4
by Peter Mavrik
This article shared 1550 times since Wed Jun 30, 2004
Bringing us his seventh studio album, Lenny Kravitz has again fused his soulful rhythms with poetic lyrics on Baptism. The album opens with "Minister Of Rock And Roll", a classic sounding Kravitz track filled with his signature soaring vocals. From there it's a journey across nearly every genre we've heard him perform before, yet instead of sounding like he's repeating his work, there's a fresh twist on each track. Among the highlights is the beautiful ballad "Calling All Angels", setting him at the piano with gentle strings and wind instruments. "Sistamamalover" funks up the groove with a thumpy bass against a rocking electric guitar. With an innocent beginning, "Baptized" starts out like an acoustic indie track and builds into a beautifully arranged vocal symphony, complete with the gospel diva Tawatha Agee on background vocals. With a name like Tawatha Agee, you know the track has soul. Closing out the album is "Destiny." It's just Lenny, an acoustic guitar, and a beautiful telling story about his life; a perfect close to a well rounded album.
On the dance scene, Kiko Navarro, a DJ and producer nearly ten years on the scene, has created a deliciously happy underground track called "Mama's Calling." It's a mix of Spanish guitar and African rhythms poised against a storyteller speaking of Mother Earth and how she's calling out to her children to take care of her. The message stands out clear, but the beautifully happy beats and horns light up the dance floor. This one never fails to get people smiling and moving.
Mario Ochoa has mixed tribal house with Colombian folk music into the kind of track that instantly raises the energy of a club. "Habla Con La Luna" (He Talks To The Moon) is a masterful remix of the traditional call-and-response folk song "El Pescador" (The Fisherman) from Colombia. It's a harder edged track with a darker groove that tribals you all the way through. An omnipresent bass kick and syncopated rim hits set the stage for the magic of the filtered Spanish vocals. When the song finally breaks down, there's not a person left on the floor that doesn't have their hands in the air.
And closing this week out, my personal favorite; Joey Negro has remixed Martin Solveig's "Rockin' Music" into a song that I've been know to play more than twice in a night. I'm not one to fall for most male-vocal dance songs, but hands down this is the winner. It's a spare song, with only a few rhythm patterns and a happy saxophone that dances around the whole song. The singers vocals are part of the song, not over it, fueling the happy core that seems to make the crowds hoot and holler for more. The message is simple: "rockin' music... sets you free." The perfect metaphor for what a dance floor should be.
With you in 4/4,
This article shared 1550 times since Wed Jun 30, 2004
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|'Barlesque' launches at Sidetrack 2022-09-03|
- On Sept. 1 at Northalsted/Boystown nightspot Sidetrack, Barlesque kicked off. Nightlife figure Khloe Daniels hosted, introducing this year's bars, performers and choreographers. Barlesque brings Chicago nightlife superstars, local bars and ...
|TPAN bringing back 'Barlesque' starting Sept. 1 2022-08-25|
- Barlesque is back. On Thursday, Sept. 1, at 7 p.m. at Northalsted/Boystown nightspot Sidetrack, 3349 N. Halsted St., Barlesque will kick off. Nightlife figure Khloe Daniels will host introduce this year's bars, performers and choreographers. Attendanc ...
|Touche holds fundraiser for Windy City Times 2022-07-12|
- Leather bar Touche, 6412 N. Clark St., held its regular Friday fundraiser on July 8—and the fortunate recipient this time was Windy City Times. Approximately $200 were raised during this benefit raffle. Touche has been a ...
|Pride Journey: Iceland 2022-03-21|
- The only way to describe Iceland is ... magical. It truly is. Iceland is like no other place I've visited in the world. It's topography, climate, people, culture, history, and nightlife blended together make Iceland a ...
|PASSAGES Jeffrey Wayne ("Jef") Morgan 2022-01-11|
- Jeffrey Wayne "Jef" Morgan, of Chicago's West Rogers Park neighborhood, passed away unexpectedly from a heart attack while shoveling snow on Jan. 2. He was 58. Jef was the well-loved manager at Little Jim's on ...
|'Andersonville Homecoming' Sept. 24-26; line-up, vendors, safety protocols announced 2021-09-15|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (Sept. 15, 2021) The Andersonville Chamber of Commerce (ACC) is pleased to announce the full entertainment line-up and vendors for Andersonville Homecoming--a three-night, two-day outdoor festival featuring ...
|Next OUTspoken show Sept. 7 2021-08-24|
- An OUTspoken Storytelling Night taking place Tuesday, Sept. 7, will offer tales told by six people who will relate their stories of fun and fortune from a LGBTQ+ perspective. The entertainment will start at 7 p.m. ...
|Taste of River North cancelled 2021-07-29|
- On July 29, the River North Residents Association, along with theMART and Duff Entertainment, announced the cancellation of the 2021 edition of Taste of River North. The event was slated to take place Aug. 20-21 at ...
|OUTspoken storytelling to host six takes from LGBTQ+ perspective 2021-07-26|
--From a press release - The month of August is hot - but OUTspoken at the Sidetrack will be even hotter on Aug. 3 when six storytellers will tell tales of fun and fortune from a LGBTQ+ perspective! The program will start at 7:00 pm at ...
|LGBTQIA+ tavern to open in Uptown this fall 2021-07-14|
- 2Bears Tavern Groupwhich owns and operates Andersonville's The SoFo Tap and Meeting House Tavern as well as Rogers Park's Jackhammeris opening 2Bears Tavern Uptown in the former Nick's on Wilson space at 1140 W. Wilson Ave. ...
|Pride Parade coordinator provides latest on the 'likely scenario' for event 2021-05-08|
- Tim Frye, the coordinator of the 2021 Pride Parade, told Windy City Times that the assessment of this year's event has not changed over the last few weeks. The official statement/assessment at this point is: "We ...
|OUTspoken Storytelling to host tales from LGBTQ perspectives Nov. 10 2020-11-01|
--From a press release - Another exciting OUTspoken Storytelling Night will offer the perspective of four Chicagoans telling life's stories from their LGBTQ+ viewpoint or that of their close friends and relatives, Tuesday, Nov. 10, starting at 7 p.m. on Zoom. ...
|Arts in the Dark Halloween Parade, this year a drive-through 2020-10-26|
--From a Chicago Park District press release - CHICAGO: LUMA8, in collaboration with the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE), the Chicago Park District and Presenting Sponsor, the Blommer Chocolate Company, is pleased to announce Arts in the Dark - an UPSIDE ...
|Nightlines 1990-2001, Nightspots 2001-2015 2020-09-30|
- Throughout the 1990s, Nightlines focused on the LGBTQ entertainment scene, from the bars to the stage and everything in between. With the new millennium came a significant format change as Nightspots focused in on the bar ...
|PASSAGES Former Northalsted bartender Eric Sangster dies at 37 2020-09-27|
- Northalsted bartender Eric Sangster died Sept. 17 unexpectedly at the age of 37. At the time of this article's publication, Sangster's cause of death is unknown. Sangster was born June 4, 1983, on a Jacksonville, North ...