WINDY CITY TIMES
||Wisconsin priest resigns over allegations of 'improper behavior'
This article shared 297 times since Wednesday
Citing allegations of "possible improper behavior," the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) announced the resignation of its top administrative official: Monsignor Jeffrey Burrill, who previously served in Wisconsin, the Wisconsin State-Journal reported.
Shortly after the announcement, the Roman Catholic news outlet The Pillar published its article based on data it said was "correlated to Burrill's mobile device" and indicated he had visited gay bars and private residences using Grindr, a dating app popular with gay people.
The Pillar alleged "serial sexual misconduct" by Burrill homosexual activity is considered sinful under Catholic doctrine, and priests are expected to remain celibate.
Burrill was elected in November 2020 as the USCCB's general secretary, a position in which he coordinated a variety of administrative matters. He had served since 2016 as associate general secretary, and before that was a pastor at several parishes in Wisconsin.
This article shared 297 times since Wednesday
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|WORLD Historic ruling, Pope Francis, photo contest, Methodist Church 2021-07-04|
- In a first-of-its-kind decision in Latin America, The Inter-American Court of Human Rights found the Honduran state guilty of the extrajudicial execution of transgender activist Vicky Hernandez, which occurred June 28-29, 2009, according to The Washington ...
|NCLR campaign to highlight LGBTQ-welcoming faith-based service providers 2021-06-16|
--From a press release - SAN FRANCISCO, CA — Today, the National Center for Lesbian Rights launched the "We Serve with Love" campaign, which seeks to demonstrate that faith-based service organizations and programs are ready to serve low-income LGBTQ people and ...
|Contradicting Vatican, U.S. Catholics to bless LGBTQ+ people at start of Pride month 2021-06-01|
--From a press release - In response to the Vatican's March statement that blessings for same-sex couples are not possible under Church teaching, hundreds of Catholics across the U.S. have signed up to participate in an online blessing service to mark ...
|Pfleger reinstated at South Side church after investigation 2021-05-25|
- Cardinal Blase Cupich told parishioners that the Rev. Michael Pfleger will return to the pulpit at his South Side parish after a Chicago archdiocese panel found "insufficient reason to suspect" that he is guilty of sexual-abuse ...
|Evangelical Lutherans select first transgender bishop 2021-05-10|
- The Evangelical Lutheran Church elected its first openly transgender bishop on May 8, The Hill reported. The Rev. Megan Rohrer, who uses the pronouns they/them, was elected bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America's Sierra ...
|Groundbreaking drag-queen ministry candidate speaks at Illinois UMC
- Hope United Methodist Church (in Bloomington, Illinois) celebrated Drag Sunday on April 11 with a message from Ms. Penny Cost, Religion News Service reported. The Illinois Great Rivers Conference's Vermillion ...
|Pastor Donnie McClurkin's struggle with sexuality mirrors the Black church's 2021-04-13|
- The most significant factor that keeps the Black church on the down low are closeted, homophobic ministers. Pastor Donnie McClurkina three-time Gospel Grammy winner and the former poster boy for ...
|Pfleger seeks to help community as investigation continues
- Well-known South Side minister/activist Father Michael Pfleger sent a letter to more than 150 parishioners, community leaders, elected officials and friends of St. Sabina Church who have expressed their support for him and are urging the ...
|Pope Francis documentary 'Francesco' to debut March 26
- Pope Francisin the news lately because of the Catholic Church's stance that it cannot bless same-sex unions, adding that it is "not licit" to bless relationships that involve sexual activity outside of marriageis the subject of ...
|DignityUSA: Vatican denying same-sex blessings "Exacerbates pain and anger" 2021-03-16|
--From a press release - March 15, 2021. DignityUSA, the organization of Catholics working for justice, equality, and full inclusion of LGBTQI people in the church and society, is deeply disappointed by the Vatican's statement unequivocally denying blessings to same-sex coupl ...
|Vatican won't bless same-sex unions
- The Catholic Church said it cannot bless same-sex unions, adding that it is "not licit" to bless relationships that involve sexual activity outside of marriage, according to an NBC News item. The Congregation for the Doctrine ...
|WORLD Ghana turmoil, Malaysia case, Copenhagen 2021, Brazil churches 2021-02-28|
- Anti-gay outcry has forced Ghana's first LGBT+ community center to temporarily close to protect its staff and visitors three weeks after it opened, Reuters reported. Church groups, politicians and anti-gay rights groups have called on the ...
|COVID Howard Brown Health COO talks vaccine rollout and race 2021-02-18|
- On Feb. 13, Howard Brown Health hosted a citywide vaccination blitz at five community partner locations (New Beginnings Church of Chicago; 6620 S. King Dr.; Trinity United Church of Christ/TUCC; 400 W. 95th St.; Rising Sun ...
|Writer on AIDS activism in the Black church honored 2021-02-10|
--From a press release - The LGBTQ Religious Archives Network (LGBTQ-RAN) honors Dr. Dan Royles with the 2020-21 LGBTQ Religious History Award. The review jury selected Royles' "There Is a Balm in Gilead: AIDS Activism in the Black Church" from among ...
|More abuse charges leveled at Pfleger
- Two brothers have alleged that the Rev. Michael Pfleger molested them dozens of times over several years beginning in the early 1970s, The Chicago Tribune reported. The brothers said they were sexually abused in Pfleger's room ...