This article shared 9827 times since Sat Sep 20, 2003
September 20th, 2003
The Search Begins September 26th A Bud Light and Windy City Media Group Event
Chicago - Windy City Media Group along with Bud Light is proud to present Windy City "Suburban" Gay Idol, a search for the
ultimate amateur singing sensation in the GLBT suburban community.
The competition, which will visit six suburban GLBT bars/nightclubs, will feature Windy City Radio hosts Amy Matheny and Jim
Bennett leading the night's competitors through backstage interviews and on-stage introductions. But don't worry, the infamous
judges will be up front to critique the competitors. The panel of judges will include bar personalities, music critics and performers
familiar with the music industry. Windy City Gay Idol will kick-off on Friday, September 26 at Temptations Nightclub in Franklin Park
and feature 6 preliminary events at a variety of clubs culminating on Saturday, November 22 at Temptations for the final competition.
The finals are bound to be an all out, wild night of high entertainment with 12 finalists vying for the title as well as the grand prize. The
crowned winner will walk away with two American Airlines tickets to any where in the U.S., a fabulous cash prize, a Bud Light
Mountain Bike, a recording session with Materville Studios and the coveted title of Suburban Gay Idol spokesperson for the duration
of 2003 into 2004. Performers must be 21 years of age and be required to sign agreements and release forms pertaining to the event
rules prior to competing in the competition. Rules can be found at www.WindyCityMediaGroup.com . Competitors will be "first come,
first to perform" at each venue. Sign-ups will start at 7 p.m. at each venue the night of the event and the first 20 people signed up will
get to compete that night. Winners of every event (including the finals) will be decided by an audience vote (each person entering the
event will get one ballot). The Windy City Gay Idol Events : Friday, September 26 – Temptations Nightclub, 10235 W. Grand, Franklin
Park Saturday, October 4 – Hideaway, 7301 W. Roosevelt, Forest Park Thursday, October 9 – Maneuvers, 118 E. Jefferson, Joliet
Saturday, October 18 – The Patch, 201-155th Pl., Calumet City Tuesday, November 4 – Hunters, 1932 E. Higgins, Elk Grove
Thursday, November 6 – Inn Exile, 5758 – 65th St., Chicago FINALS: Saturday, November 22 – Temptations, 10235 W. Grand,
Earlier this year, more than 100 people competed in the first Windy City Gay Idol competition and hundreds of people attended
the finals to crown Luis Vega the winner, with runner-up Amazon coming in a very close second.
For more information about the competition, to request interviews with Gay Idol hosts, press passes for events or any other
information please contact Kathleen Ulm, Marketing Director, Windy City Media Group, 773-871-7610, WindyCityMedia@aol.com
Sponsors for Gay Idol include Bud Light, Windy City Media Group, American Airlines, Materville Studios, Creaoke and W Hotels.
This article shared 9827 times since Sat Sep 20, 2003
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|SHOWBIZ 'Idol' alum, PBS series, LGBT film, concert series, Bad Bunny 2020-05-18|
- Openly gay American Idol alum David Hernandez has premiered his new song"Sorry"and the accompanying music video, a press release noted. "Sorry" is described as "a metaphoric letter to those David has hurt in the past as ...
|'Skates' debut pushed to April 23 2020-03-12|
- Hit Her with the Skatesa musical starring American Idol couple Diana DeGarmo and Ace Younghas pushed its world premiere of the Chicago production at the Royal George Theatre, 1641 N. Halsted St., from Wed., March 18, ...
|Billy Masters 2019-05-08|
- "There's a whole lot of sins that will keep you out of the kingdom of God. Here's just a sample: Sexually immoral can't get in; idolaters can't get in; adulterers can't get in. Men who practice ...
|City Winery's December shows: Macy Gray, more 2018-11-28|
- Singer Macy Gray and former American Idol finalist Kris Allen are among those slated to perform at City Winery, 1200 W. Randolph St., in December. Graywhose signature raspy voice is featured in "I Try," one of ...
|David Hernandez,'Idol' alum on new CD, recovery and self-love 2018-10-22|
- American Idol finalist David Hernandez's new self-released Kingdom: The Mixtape shows a great maturity from 2011's I Am Who I Am. While it explores depression, substance abuse and frustrations with the music industry, Kingdom also celebrates ...
|Bowersox, Mizrahi at City Winery 2018-10-06|
- Former American Idol finalist Crystal Bowersox and actor/fashion designer/singer Isaac Mizrahi will be performing at City Winery, 1200 W. Randolph St., Oct. 8. Bowersox will perform songs her latest album ...
|Under Review: Transgender airman inspired by grandfather's service weighs future 2017-11-10|
From an ABC press release - Sterling Crutcher grew up idolizing his grandfather, and he said his desire to join the military was shaped in part by years of hearing his stories. "He was always a big proponent of the military," Crutcher ...
|CONCERT REVIEW Gaga breaks glass ceiling at Wrigley Field 2017-08-30|
- Even when Lady Gaga releases mediocre music, she knows how to sell it live. Part of the fun is showing up to see how she will do just that. Whether playing one song for Windy City Gay Idol's talent competition in ...
|Local author/historian Owen Keehnen out with two new novels 2017-07-31|
From a press release - Local author/historian Owen Keehnen has recently published two new novels, The Matinee Idol and Love Underground. Both books are available at online sources as well as at Unabridged Books (3251 N. Broadway) for $16. Silent era ...
|American Idol's Rayvon Owen joins Simply Sensational Benefit 2016-10-24|
From a press release - Chicago — The entertainment line-up for PFP's Simply Sensational Benefit gets more and more sensational each day, with American Idol's Rayvon Owen joining in. Other performers include Nancy Hays, Honey West, Kevin ...
|NIghtspots: The Big To-Do 2016-06-08|
Our weekly picks to plan your nightlife calendar - Pride Idol semifinal Wed., June 8, 8-10 pm The Glenwood, 6962 N. Glenwood Ave. It's a sing-off to decide who moves on to the finals. Contestants include James Sims III, Stacey Lee Spears, Aaron Smith, Paul ...
|NIGHTLIFE: Sidetrack, Scot's, The Glenwood, Miss Continental Elite and Plus 2016-03-30|
- Sidetrack Windy City Cycling Club's fundraising Easter Bonnet party, Easter Sunday., March 27. Photos by Jed Dulanas Scot's Easter really went to their heads, Easter Sunday., March 27. Photos by Rick Bejlovec The Glenwood Pride Idol, ...
|Nightspots: The Big To Do 2016-03-23|
Nightspots weekly picks to help you plan your nightlife calendar - Pride Idol: Premiere event Wed., March 23, 8 pm The Glenwood, 6962 N. Glenwood Ave. First night of this 14-week competition, taking place each Wednesday and featuring poetry/spoken word, storytelling, comedy, vocal/karaoke and live band. Ultimate ...
|NUNN ON ONE: MUSIC 'Good Times' with Carly Rae Jepsen 2016-02-24|
- Singer Carly Rae Jepsen started independently after coming in third on Canadian Idol but her little song "Call Me Maybe" exploded, selling more than 18 million singles. Before you can say "one-hit wonder," the next song"Good ...
|MUSIC Singer Greg Holden talks 'American Idol,' 'Boys in the Street' 2015-09-01|
Special to the online edition of Windy City Times - Scottish-born singer-songwriter Greg Holden has taken center stage in his career due in part to the song "Boys In The Street." The song tells the story of a father who, at first, denounces his gay son, ...