||Windy City Times' first cover available as NFT
This article shared 1626 times since Mon May 17, 2021
The first cover of the Chicago LGBTQ newspaper Windy City Times is being made available as the company's first NFT, or non-fungible token. NFTs have recently been successfully tested by various artists and media companies, including The New York Times and Time Magazine. WCT is working with Promobot on this project.
Minted by co-founder Tracy Baim, this historic first cover of the Windy City Times represents an important milestone in Chicago's gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and queer community. Since 1985, the Windy City Times has archived more than 200,000 news and feature articles, videos, photos, a weekly e-blast and other previous products including Nightspots, a biweekly, four-color, glossy entertainment guide, BLACKLines, En La Vida, OUT! Guide and more.
The auction winner for this one-of-a-kind NFT will also receive a copy a 393-page full-color book called Windy City Times at 35 including covers from Windy City Times and related LGBTQ newspapers in Chicago, signed by founder Tracy Baim. This book has a retail value of $49 and will be available in June of 2021. All proceeds go to support the great work done by the Windy City Times.
An NFT is a unique data unit stored digitally and is certified as the only one of its kind. It provides a proof of ownership of the token, but not the copyright of the image.
Bid at opensea.io/assets/0x495f947276749ce646f68ac8c248420045cb7b5e/7684056036564155073906459381721078728028269482460299873007649800410481295361 .
Bids are being accepted from May 17 to May 31 at midnight.
This article shared 1626 times since Mon May 17, 2021
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Queer Chicago rapper Psalm One to perform this weekend at Glenwood Avenue Arts Fest 2022-08-17|
- Psalm Onea queer rapper from Chicagowill take the stage at the annual Glenwood Avenue Arts Fest on Friday, Aug. 19, at 8:15 p.m. "I'm really, really excited to perform," she told Windy City Times. "I'm nervous, ...
|ART MdW fair taking place Sept. 9-11 at Mana Contemporary 2022-08-17|
- MdWan artist-run art fair founded a decade agois returning in 2022 with a renewed mission to convene alternative artist platforms in Chicago from across the Midwest. The all-ages, free event will take place Sept. 9-11 at ...
|MCA to show 'Forecast Form: Art in the Caribbean Diaspora, 1990s to Today' 2022-08-14|
- The Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago will run "Forecast Form: Art in the Caribbean Diaspora, 1990s—Today," organized by Marilyn and Larry Fields Curator Carla Acevedo-Yates, on Nov. 19, 2022-April 23, 2023. According to a press release, ...
|THEATER Red Summer, connecting the 1919 Chicago race riots to present-day Chicago, is Sept. 16-25 2022-08-14|
-- From a press release - University Park, IL—Governors State University's Center for Performing Arts announces the world premiere of Red Summer written by Lookingglass Theatre's Andrew White and MPAACT's Shepsu Aakhu, composed by Shawn Wallace ...
|StoryStudio Chicago's LGBTQ+ nonfiction writing class starting Aug. 17 2022-08-11|
- StoryStudio Chicago is offering a unique writing class titled "June Is Not Enough: An LGBTQ+ Nonfiction Writing Class." The idea behind the class is to promote and foster the work of LGBTQ+ people. Writers who register ...
|Haven Chicago presenting first-ever Festival Au Cinema on Aug. 26-28 2022-08-09|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO (August 8, 2022) — Haven Chicago is pleased to present its first annual Festival au Cinéma, the company's new platform for visionary and innovative filmmakers and media artists staking their claim in the future of ...
|Kinsey Institute exhibiting iconic Tom Fox HIV/AIDS photo series 2022-08-05|
- An exhibition of 60 iconic photographs documenting Indiana University alumnus Tom Fox's battle with AIDS in the late 1980s will hang in the Grand Hall of Maxwell Hall on the Indiana University-Bloomington campus. "Wild Horse Running: ...
|ART Wrightwood 659 to show 'The First Homosexuals,' 'Michiko Itatani' 2022-08-04|
- The Lincoln Park space Wrightwood 659, 659 W. Wrightwood Ave., will show two exhibits"The First Homosexuals: Global Depictions of a New Identity, 1869-1930" and "Michiko Itatani: Celestial Stage"on Fridays and ...
|THEATER 'Cabaret' coming to Metropolis Arts on Sept. 15 2022-08-02|
- Musical Broadway classic and hit film Cabaret re-creates the decadent and complicated world of 1929 Berlin at the Arlington Heights venue Metropolis Performing Arts Centre on Sept. 15-Oct. 22. Cabaret is Kander and Ebb's legendary musical ...
|Chalk Howard Street outdoors for the first time since 2019 on Aug. 27 2022-08-01|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO, IL (Aug. 1, 2022)—Chicago's only chalk art festival, Chalk Howard Street, announced its entertainment programming and vendors list, as it makes a full return outdoor and in person for the first time since 2019. National ...
|LGBTQ+-inclusive 'All that Glows' running through Oct. 1 2022-07-29|
-- From a press release - Weinberg/Newton Gallery, a non-commercial gallery dedicated to promoting social- justice causes, is partnering with the American Civil Liberties Union of Illinois to present All that Glows in the Dark of Democracy, July 29 — Oct. 1 ...
|21st annual Glenwood Avenue Arts Fest taking place Aug. 19-21 2022-07-27|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO (July 26, 2022)The popular Glenwood Avenue Arts Fest (GAAF) announces complete music lineup for the three-day festival, headlined by Chicago rapper Psalm One, Rock n Roll band from New ...
|Trans artist to showcase woodworking on Aug. 13 2022-07-27|
- Trans artist J. Emmett (he/they), of J. Emmett Studios, will open his private studio for the first time to show his custom woodworking, along with works from local ceramicist Krista Tyner (she/her), of TynerWorks. The "A ...
|MCA Chicago announces Chicago Performs, which focuses on contemporary, POC and queer artists 2022-07-27|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO— The Museum of Contemporary Art (MCA) Chicago, with the support of Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot, the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE), and Choose Chicago, announced the ...
|Queer teen artist/activist talks Girl Scout Gold Award, LGBTQ+ inclusion, future plans 2022-07-23|
- When Molly Kasch became a Brownie at age 8, she never dreamed she would earn the prestigious Girl Scout Gold Award 10 years later for her "Scouting the Rainbow" project. The award "is the highest achievement ...