||WEDDINGS Windy City Times Wedding Guide
FIRST OF FOUR SPECIAL WEDDING FEATURES PLANNED FOR 2013
This article shared 3 times since Wed Mar 13, 2013
Nine states (Connecticut, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Washington and Vermont) and Washington, D.C., permit marriage for same-sex couples. In 2012, the legislature in New Jersey passed a marriage-equality bill, and work is now underway to override the governor's veto.
New Mexico and Rhode Island explicitly respect out-of-state marriages of same-sex couples, while eight states now offer broad protections short of marriage. Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, New Jersey and Rhode Island allow civil unions, while California, Oregon and Nevada offer broad domestic partnership. Two other states (Colorado and Wisconsin) have more limited domestic partnerships.
With these advances, a record number of residents live in states that recognize relationships between same-sex couples:
Nearly 17 percent of the U.S. population lives in a state that either has the freedom to marry or honors out-of-state marriages of same-sex couples.
Nearly 39 percent of the U.S. population lives in a state with either marriage or a broad legal status such as civil union or domestic partnership.
Over 42 percent of the U.S. population lives in a state that provides some form of protections for gay couples.
Courtesy of Freedom to Marry
Larger view of map at the Additional Photospread link under the image.
Civil Unions: Separate and Unequal to Marriage
Gay and Lesbian Wedding Guide: Business listings
How to 'capture' the love: Book on wedding photography
Download full wedding section here: www.windycitymediagroup.com/pdf/wedding.pdf .
This article shared 3 times since Wed Mar 13, 2013
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|WORLD Spain, South Korea festival, Eurovision, marriage items, Sri Lanka 2023-05-19|
- Spain became the latest country to join a U.S. initiative that seeks to promote LGBTQI+ rights around the world, The Washington Blade reported. "Promoting and protecting the human rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and ...
|Billy Masters: Carrie Fisher's family declare Walk of Fame star wars 2023-05-08|
- "Days after Billy Masters revealed he spent time with Darren Hayes on the final stop of his tour (and talked about his butt), Darren announces his marriage is over: Coincidence?" —A fan wrote this to "Ask ...
|WORLD Hungarian bill, Biden's visit, HIV study, trans athlete ousted, Prince Harry 2023-04-21|
Video below - Hungarian legislators passed a bill that enables citizens to report anonymously on same-sex couples who raise children to authorities, Bloomberg reported. Hungary's constitution protects the institution of marriage as a formation "between one man and ...
|WORLD Queer soldier, anti-trans interview, Eurovision, couple arrested, soccer match 2023-04-08|
- A queer Ukrainian solider has called for same-sex marriage to be legalized in the country, according to PinkNews. Anna "Kajhan" Zyablikova, who is serving in the 47th Brigade of Ukraine's armed forces, told the i paper ...
|WORLD Japanese poll, Sydney Mardi Gras, mpox, rugby study, soccer player 2023-02-19|
- Sixty-four percent of respondents to a Kyodo News poll believe same-sex marriage should be recognized in Japan, the media outlet noted. In the telephone survey, 88.4% also said recent remarks hostile to LGBTQ+ people by a ...
|Gay Calif. lawmakers introduce Prop 8 repeal 2023-02-14|
- On Valentine's Day, two gay California lawmakers introduced a constitutional amendment to repeal Prop 8the state's same-sex marriage ban that remains on the books despite being ruled unconstitutional years ago, according to The Bay Area Repo ...
|WORLD Church of England, Japanese officials, Hong Kong ruling, drag kings 2023-02-11|
- The Church of England has voted to bless same-sex marriages for the first time in its history; however, its ban on conducting ceremonies will stay in place, PinkNews reported. It was approved after a six-year consultation ...
|WORLD Indian marches, delegation in Cuba, anti-LGBTQ+ investigation 2023-01-15|
- Hundreds of people took part in the first Delhi Queer Pride march in three years as pressure grows for legal recognition of same-sex marriage in India, The Manila Times noted. In March, the South Asian's top ...
|NATIONAL Testifying in D.C., Brittney Griner, marriage law, school policies 2022-12-18|
- WARNING: This week's news contains graphic content. Survivors of the Club Q shooting in Colorado Springs that killed five people and injured approximately 20 others joined GLAAD and other advocates in providing testimony before the House ...
|Cook County's Kevin Morrison attends signing of Respect for Marriage Act at the White House 2022-12-13|
-- From a press release - Washington D.C. — December 13thth 2022 — Cook County Commissioner Kevin Morrison attended the signing of the historic Respect for Marriage Act recently passed by both chambers of congress. The bill guarantees the federal rights ...
|With President Biden's signature, Respect for Marriage Act is law 2022-12-13|
-- From a press release - WASHINGTON — The Human Rights Campaign (HRC) — the nation's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+) civil rights organization — celebrated today as President Biden signed the Respect ...
|President Biden signs Respect for Marriage Act into law; groups and leaders respond 2022-12-13|
-- From press releases - In response to President Biden signing the Respect for Marriage Act into law, groups and leaders release statements. ...
|Respect for Marriage Act passage important step but not equity says LGBTQIA+/ally Catholic group 2022-12-09|
-- From a press release - Dec. 8, 2022. DignityUSA, the nation's foremost organization of Catholics working for justice, equality, and full inclusion of LGBTQIA+ people in our church and society, is pleased that both houses of Congress have now passed the ...
|Groups and leaders celebrate passage of the Respect for Marriage Act 2022-12-08|
-- From press releases - U.S. Representative Mike Quigley: Washington, D.C.— Today, U.S. Representative Mike Quigley (IL-05), Vice-Chair of the Congressional LGBTQ+ Equality Caucus, released the following statement celebrating the passage of ...
|Congress passes Respect for Marriage Act, sends to President Biden for signature 2022-12-08|
-- From a press release. Video below - (New York, NY - December 8, 2022) — GLAAD, the world's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ) media advocacy organization, is responding to the passage of the Respect for Marriage Act in the U.S. ...