||Windy City Times' 30 Under 30 Awards 2006
This article shared 9785 times since Tue Jun 13, 2006
6th Year Honors To Be Held At Ann Sather Restaurant June 21
Featuring American's Idol's Jim Verraros
Chicago – In 2000, Windy City Times established an award to acknowledge the young movers and shakers of the GLBT community: the 30 Under 30 Awards. Thirty young activists, journalists, students, HIV/AIDS volunteers and performers each under the age of 30 were honored for their achievements in moving the GLBT community forward. Now six years later, in 2006, another 30 will receive their honors on Wednesday, June 21 at Ann Sather's Restaurant in Lakeview.
With more nominations coming in than previous years, it shows that there are many young people working every day to make a change— in their schools, in their communities, or in the world. Honoring them for their hard work will hopefully motivate them to work for change.
This year's 30 honorees will be recognized for impacting or contributing to the GLBTQ community or mainstream community and include a district director for Senator Carol Ronen, who helped fight for the passage of the state gay-rights bill, a co-founder of the Chicago Kings and production artistic coordinator for About Face Theatre, a neurobiology doctoral candidate at Northwestern University, and perhaps the most nationally well known honoree, Jim Verraros who was a Top 10 Finalist of American Idol in their inaugural season. He has been actively involved in performing at local Chicagoland events.
Plus twenty-six more outstanding honorees will be given awards during the night. Each in his or her own way, they have left an indelible mark on the community.
The celebration headed by Windy City Times newspaper will be co-hosted with AIDS Foundation of Chicago, Lesbian Community Cancer Project, Howard Brown Health Center and Chicago House. The event is from 6-8 p.m. at the Ann Sather's Restaurant, 929 W. Belmont. This is a free event, however RSVPs are being requested due to limited seating. RSVP to 773-871-7610.
The event will be co-hosted by Windy City Radio host Amy Matheny and Windy City Times' Managing Editor Andrew Davis. Also see: www.windycitymediagroup.com
This article shared 9785 times since Tue Jun 13, 2006
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|SHOWBIZ 'Idol' alum, PBS series, LGBT film, concert series, Bad Bunny 2020-05-18|
- Openly gay American Idol alum David Hernandez has premiered his new song"Sorry"and the accompanying music video, a press release noted. "Sorry" is described as "a metaphoric letter to those David has hurt in the past as ...
|'Skates' debut pushed to April 23 2020-03-12|
- Hit Her with the Skatesa musical starring American Idol couple Diana DeGarmo and Ace Younghas pushed its world premiere of the Chicago production at the Royal George Theatre, 1641 N. Halsted St., from Wed., March 18, ...
|Billy Masters 2019-05-08|
- "There's a whole lot of sins that will keep you out of the kingdom of God. Here's just a sample: Sexually immoral can't get in; idolaters can't get in; adulterers can't get in. Men who practice ...
|City Winery's December shows: Macy Gray, more 2018-11-28|
- Singer Macy Gray and former American Idol finalist Kris Allen are among those slated to perform at City Winery, 1200 W. Randolph St., in December. Graywhose signature raspy voice is featured in "I Try," one of ...
|David Hernandez,'Idol' alum on new CD, recovery and self-love 2018-10-22|
- American Idol finalist David Hernandez's new self-released Kingdom: The Mixtape shows a great maturity from 2011's I Am Who I Am. While it explores depression, substance abuse and frustrations with the music industry, Kingdom also celebrates ...
|Bowersox, Mizrahi at City Winery 2018-10-06|
- Former American Idol finalist Crystal Bowersox and actor/fashion designer/singer Isaac Mizrahi will be performing at City Winery, 1200 W. Randolph St., Oct. 8. Bowersox will perform songs her latest album ...
|Under Review: Transgender airman inspired by grandfather's service weighs future 2017-11-10|
From an ABC press release - Sterling Crutcher grew up idolizing his grandfather, and he said his desire to join the military was shaped in part by years of hearing his stories. "He was always a big proponent of the military," Crutcher ...
|CONCERT REVIEW Gaga breaks glass ceiling at Wrigley Field 2017-08-30|
- Even when Lady Gaga releases mediocre music, she knows how to sell it live. Part of the fun is showing up to see how she will do just that. Whether playing one song for Windy City Gay Idol's talent competition in ...
|Local author/historian Owen Keehnen out with two new novels 2017-07-31|
From a press release - Local author/historian Owen Keehnen has recently published two new novels, The Matinee Idol and Love Underground. Both books are available at online sources as well as at Unabridged Books (3251 N. Broadway) for $16. Silent era ...
|American Idol's Rayvon Owen joins Simply Sensational Benefit 2016-10-24|
From a press release - Chicago — The entertainment line-up for PFP's Simply Sensational Benefit gets more and more sensational each day, with American Idol's Rayvon Owen joining in. Other performers include Nancy Hays, Honey West, Kevin ...
|NIghtspots: The Big To-Do 2016-06-08|
Our weekly picks to plan your nightlife calendar - Pride Idol semifinal Wed., June 8, 8-10 pm The Glenwood, 6962 N. Glenwood Ave. It's a sing-off to decide who moves on to the finals. Contestants include James Sims III, Stacey Lee Spears, Aaron Smith, Paul ...
|NIGHTLIFE: Sidetrack, Scot's, The Glenwood, Miss Continental Elite and Plus 2016-03-30|
- Sidetrack Windy City Cycling Club's fundraising Easter Bonnet party, Easter Sunday., March 27. Photos by Jed Dulanas Scot's Easter really went to their heads, Easter Sunday., March 27. Photos by Rick Bejlovec The Glenwood Pride Idol, ...
|Nightspots: The Big To Do 2016-03-23|
Nightspots weekly picks to help you plan your nightlife calendar - Pride Idol: Premiere event Wed., March 23, 8 pm The Glenwood, 6962 N. Glenwood Ave. First night of this 14-week competition, taking place each Wednesday and featuring poetry/spoken word, storytelling, comedy, vocal/karaoke and live band. Ultimate ...
|NUNN ON ONE: MUSIC 'Good Times' with Carly Rae Jepsen 2016-02-24|
- Singer Carly Rae Jepsen started independently after coming in third on Canadian Idol but her little song "Call Me Maybe" exploded, selling more than 18 million singles. Before you can say "one-hit wonder," the next song"Good ...
|MUSIC Singer Greg Holden talks 'American Idol,' 'Boys in the Street' 2015-09-01|
Special to the online edition of Windy City Times - Scottish-born singer-songwriter Greg Holden has taken center stage in his career due in part to the song "Boys In The Street." The song tells the story of a father who, at first, denounces his gay son, ...