WINDY CITY TIMES
||Windy City Media Group Profile: Peter Mavrik
This article shared 3033 times since Wed Jan 17, 2007
DJ, queer podcaster, writer, photographer, technology geek and raconteur, Peter Mavrik is one of the few Chicago natives who hasn't left the city. After joining the Windy City family in 2003 he has had the distinct pleasure of hosting Windy City Radio for a couple years, as well as a regular columnist for Nightspots and occasional writer for Windy City Times.
In 2006, he was named one of Windy City's 30 under 30. He also led Windy City Radio off the air into the world of podcasting as the Windy City Queercast, where he continues to produce and host weekly shows. You can find him on Wednesday nights at Spin nightclub, burning up the dance floor with his flavor of house, and online at RadioPeter.com .
Windy City Media Group ( WCMG ) profiles will continue each week.
This article shared 3033 times since Wed Jan 17, 2007
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|SHOWBIZ 'Black Adam,' Cyndi Lauper, Sondheim, Oscars, OutFest 2023-03-18|
- Cultured Magazine recently profiled Quintessa Swindellwho became the first out, non-binary actor to play a lead superhero in the DC universe when they portrayed Cyclone in the 2022 movie Black Adam. Swindell grew up in Virginia ...
|Show about trans+ women models to debut Aug. 5 on Here TV 2022-07-29|
- The Here TV docuseries Road to the Runway—which focuses on trans+ women models—will debut Friday, Aug. 5. The series profiles the 20 hopefuls competing in this year's annual Slay Model search. Cameras follow the women to ...
|PASSAGES Writer, attorney, activist Takeia R. Johnson 2021-07-25|
- The local organization Affinity Community Services announced the recent passing of Takeia R. Johnson. According to Johnson's LinkedIn profile, she was editor-in-chief and lead writer at Inclusion at Work as well as a Ph.D. student focusing ...
|SAVOR Talking with new Travelle Chef de Cuisine Qi Ai; Profile of Travelle's breakfast 2021-06-09|
- Travelle Chef de Cuisine Qi Ai Travelle at the Langham (330 N Wabash Ave.; https://www.travellechicago.com/) has undergone a major change during the COVID pandemic: New Chef de Cuisine Qi (pronounced "tee") Ai was promoted from sous ...
|MOVIES Dutch journalist talks about making 'My Friend, the Mayor' 2021-02-17|
- In the Amazon Prime Video documentary My Friend, the Mayor: Small-town Democracy in the Age of Trump, Dutch journalist Max Westerman profiles friend Sean Strub, an openly gay activist, activist, long-term AIDS survivor and POZ magazine ...
|Booksellers launch "Boxed Out" campaign, a look at consumer choices 2020-10-22|
--From a press release - (New York, New York) 20% of independent bookstores across the country are in danger of closing. Today, theAmerican Booksellers Association launched the "Boxed Out" campaign to draw attention to the high stakes indie bookstores face this ...
|Author/academic John D'Emilio on new book, future endeavors 2020-10-01|
- Queer Legacies: Stories from Chicago's LGBTQ Archives is a new book by Gerber/Hart Library and Archives President and University of Illinois at Chicago History and Women's and Gender Studies Professor Emeritus John ...
|Out Illinois State coach dives into new position 2020-09-16|
- Logan Pearsall, an accomplished college diver who has since transitioned into master's level diving, was competing at the 2017 FINA World Masters Championships in Budapest, Hungary. He was doing a challenging inward dive from a one-meter ...
|Joseph Baar Topinka preserves legacy of mother: Pro-gay Republican Judy 2020-09-02|
- Riverside resident Joseph Baar Topinka is still impressed with the resolve and stamina with which his late mother, longtime GOP politician Judy Baar Topinka, was able to "slug it out" in the political arena. "She got ...
|'Making Sweet Tea': Out NU dean talks about new documentary 2020-08-18|
- Performer and Northwestern University Dean E. Patrick Johnson discussed his new film and the importance of reclaiming storytelling agency in a virtual Q&A Lambda Legal hosted Aug. 9. Johnson, dean of Northwestern University's School of Communication, ...
|Asha Ransby-Sporn talks building on the anti-racism movement's legacy 2020-08-05|
- With anti-racism protests happening around the United States, in what some media outlets are saying is the largest movement in this country's history, demands to abolish the police have increasingly been a part of the rallying ...
|Local lesbian couple celebrate 50 years together 2020-08-05|
- When Alice Cozad and Linda Young met each other as freshmen at the University of Iowa they knew almost instantly that they would be together as a couple for the rest of their lives. "The electricity ...
|Teen LGBTQ+ activist aims to inspire with Be You Tiful Initiative 2020-07-31|
- Allison Frank is a 16-year-old lesbian activist from Lincolnshire's Stevenson High School who found her passion for activism and began the Be You Tiful Initiative. It all started when Frank was feeling overwhelmed in a makeup ...
|Cicero student finds his voice 2020-07-29|
- When Jorge Martinez-Arevalo was in eighth grade, he was elected president of an LGBTQ+ after-school club at Unity Junior High School, in Cicero. During his eighth-grade year, the club, which is known as NJAW (short for ...
|Chicago man takes face masks into luxury 2020-07-10|
- During COVID-19 David Altman is encouraging people to wear their heart on their face with masks that his brand Vintage Luxe Up is currently making out of vintage luxury designer silk scarves. Altman grew up on ...
|WORLD Venezuela code, Oxfam, Bosnia items, 'Brokeback,' Pope Francis|
|NATIONAL 'Don't Say Gay,' anti-trans bills, gay Irish leader visits, gay Calif. mayor|
|SHOWBIZ 'Joy Ride,' Cynthia Erivo, David Bowie, March Madness, Kevin Bacon|
|Michaela Jae Rodriguez honored at HRC dinner|
|Biden appoints Laura Ricketts to Council on Sports, Fitness & Nutrition|