WINDY CITY TIMES
||Wade Davis Grand Marshal of Chicago's 44th Pride parade
From a press release
This article shared 3707 times since Thu May 30, 2013
Wade Davis has been named the Grand Marshal of Chicago's 44th annual Pride Parade. The parade will happen on June 30.
Davis is a nationally recognized speaker, activist, writer and educator. Davis is a former NFL football player who played for the Tennessee Titans, Washington Redskins and Seattle Seahawks, as well as two different teams within the NFL Europe league. Currently he works at the Hetrick Martin Institute (HMI) as the Assistant Director of Job Readiness and Academic Enrichment. At HMI, he teaches at-promise youth how to define success for themselves and thrive in society. His writings and interviews have appeared in the LA Times, Huffington Post, The NY Times, The Advocate, Out Sports, TheGrio.com, and many other media outlets, like President Obama's Whitehouse blog. He has appeared on NPR, MSNBC, BBC, CNN, and BET. He was also an LGBT Surrogate for President Obama during the 2012 election. In the role of surrogate he spoke at events on behalf of the President advocating for LGBT rights and inclusiveness. He's a member of the You Can Play Project and GLSEN sports advisory board - where he advocates for creating safe spaces for LGBT individuals in sports. Wade was also invited to speak at the Int'l AIDS Conference in DC in 2012. Recently, Wade has launched the YOU Belong Initiative, a series of 4-day comprehensive sports instruction and leadership development clinics for LGBTQ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer/questioning) youth and straight allies that will be offered throughout the US quarterly within various sports with the initial camp being hosted in the city of Chicago this year, July 25th through the 28th at the Center on Halsted.
This article shared 3707 times since Thu May 30, 2013
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|NYC Pride unveils 2023 theme: 'Strength in Solidarity' 2023-03-14|
--From a press release - NYC Pride announces the official theme for 2023, "Strength in Solidarity," as the kick-off to this year's events and programming. Amidst a backdrop of increased attacks against members of the LGBTQIA+ community, especially in the form ...
|Theater Review: one in two 2023-03-01|
- Playwright: Donja R. Love. At: PrideArts at Pride Arts Center, 4139 N. Broadway Tickets: 773-857-0222; $35. Runs through March 19 Playwright Donja R. Love stresses that lower case letters should be used for the title of ...
|PrideArts presents 'one in two' 2023-02-22|
--From a press release - Title: one in two. By Donja R. Love/ Directed by Jordan Ratlliff Monday, Feb. 20 - 7:30 p.m. Pride Arts Center, 4139 N. Broadway, Chicago One in two Black men in America who have sex with other men will be diagnosed ...
|NATIONAL Missing student, Utah bill, Atlanta Pride, crime items, Castro bar 2023-01-29|
- A New York City law student has been missing for weeksand his brother said his last known location was The Q, a gay bar in Manhattan's Hell's Kitchen neighborhood, NBC News reported. Jordan Taylor, 29, a ...
|WORLD Indian marches, delegation in Cuba, anti-LGBTQ+ investigation 2023-01-15|
- Hundreds of people took part in the first Delhi Queer Pride march in three years as pressure grows for legal recognition of same-sex marriage in India, The Manila Times noted. In March, the South Asian's top ...
|PrideArts, Chicago drag artists co-produce story of a drag family's tribulations 2022-12-22|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO — PrideArts will celebrate the arrival of the year 2023 by teaming up with the Chicago drag performers Tirrany Reigns and Ramona Mirage to stage Reigns' original Queer Family Dramedy, set just after New Year's ...
|Pride Journey: Oklahoma City 2022-12-08|
- Since I began Pride Journeys 5 years ago, I have had the incredible opportunity to visit dozens of destinations around the world. Some destinations I visited once, while others left such an impression, that I was ...
|Sydney WorldPride plans a celebration like no other 2022-11-08|
Special to Windy City Times - WorldPride is heading Down Under in 2023. Sydney has been named the official location for WorldPride next year, and the cosmopolitan city is planning to go all-out to welcome LGBTQ+ guests from all over the world. ...
|Washington DC to host WorldPride in 2025 2022-11-04|
-- From a press release - Washington DC, November 4, 2022… InterPride, an international association of over 400 Pride organizations from over 70 countries, announced that the Capital Pride Alliance (CPA) has been selected to host WorldPride in 2025. "CPA is thrilled ...
|NATIONAL Birth certificates, university items, drag-show standoff, 'Models of Pride' 2022-10-30|
- Following a lawsuit from ACLU, ACLU of West Virginia and the Harvard Law School LGBTQ+ Advocacy Clinic, the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources' Vital Registration Office has introduced more accessible and safer policies ...
|Hundreds attend Plainfield Pride's 'Pride at PARC' 2022-10-19|
- After encountering some resistance, "Pride at PARC" took place Oct. 16 in Plainfield, with hundreds of people attending. The event took place at the Plainfield Park District's Prairie Activity and Recreation Center (PARC). Among other things, ...
|WORLD Brittney Griner, Montenegro Pride, Nobel Prize winners, Brazilian film 2022-10-16|
Video below - (NOTE: This week's news contains some graphic details. Please be advised.) Former U.S. ambassador to the United Nations Bill Richardson said that lesbian WNBA star Brittney Griner and former U.S. Marine Paul Whelan, who are being ...
|LGBTQ+ HISTORY MONTH Putting an end to the myths of Stonewall 2022-10-16|
- For years, people have debated what actually happened that night in June 1969 when Stonewall was raided and a new, more militant struggle for equality was born. Due to the debates, and insistence of some to ...
|Plainfield Pride event set to take place despite some opposition 2022-10-14|
- Plainfield Pride is hosting its first official event, "Pride at PARC," on Sunday, Oct. 16, despite opposition from some, Patch reported. The organization will gather from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. at the Plainfield Park District's ...
|Philadelphia hosts street renaming ceremony for gay tourism expert 2022-10-11|
- On Oct. 11, Philadelphia officials will honor the late civic pride booster, celebrated author and former Visit Philadelphia President/CEO Jeff Guaracino by renaming a portion of South 13th Street after the tourism marketer and LGBTQ+ trailblazer ...