WINDY CITY TIMES
||WCT seeks nominations for 30 Under 30
From a news release
This article shared 3233 times since Wed Feb 15, 2012
CHICAGOWindy City Times is seeking to recognize 30 more outstanding LGBT individuals (and allies) for its annual 30 Under 30 Awards.
Nominees should be 30 years or under as of June 30, 2012, and should have made some substantial contributions to the LGBT community, whether in the fields of entertainment, politics, health, activism, academics, sports or other areas.
The deadline to nominate individuals is Friday, April 20.
Individuals, organizations, co-workers, etc. can nominate a person by e-mailing Andrew@WindyCityMediaGroup.com or faxed to Andrew Davis' attention to 773-871-7609. Self-nominations are welcome.
The nomination should be 100 words or fewer, and should state what achievements or contributions the nominee has made. Nominators should include their own names and contact information as well as the contact information and the age of the nominee.
Note: Following the policy instituted in 2005, individuals can only win once. Those have won the award since that year are ineligible for this year's awards.
Honorees will be notified in May and recognized at a free ceremony Thursday, June 28, at 5:30 p.m., at Center on Halsted, 3656 N. Halsted St.
This article shared 3233 times since Wed Feb 15, 2012
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|MUSIC: Sophie B. Hawkins talks LGBTQ+ youth and living an authentic life 2022-11-24|
- In the '90s, singer-songwriter Sophie B. Hawkins made quite an impression on people with the entrancing song "Damn I Wish I Was Your Lover" and its accompanying video. She also had hits such as "Right Beside You" ...
|National AIDS Memorial names 2022-2023 Pedro Zamora Young Leaders Scholarship recipients 2022-11-09|
-- From a press release - SAN FRANCISCO, California, Nov. 09, 2022 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — The National AIDS Memorial has announced its 2022/2023 Pedro Zamora Young Leaders scholars, its largest and most diverse class ever, providing ...
|NATIONAL Pageant ruling, AOC, gay journalists, Dwyane Wade, trans activist 2022-11-06|
- A federal appeals court ruled that the operator of the Miss United States of America pageant (not to be confused with the Miss USA pageant) can't be forced to allow openly transgender women into its competitions, ...
|Chicago Teachers Union: Lightfoot's CPS team must remove Jones HS principal, address racially hostile environment 2022-11-04|
-- From a Chicago Teachers Union press release - CHICAGO, Nov. 3, 2022 The Chicago Teachers Union issued the following statement after learning of another incidence of intolerance at Jones College Prep High School, which has been dogged by complaints of antisemitism, racism and ...
|NATIONAL Birth certificates, university items, drag-show standoff, 'Models of Pride' 2022-10-30|
- Following a lawsuit from ACLU, ACLU of West Virginia and the Harvard Law School LGBTQ+ Advocacy Clinic, the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources' Vital Registration Office has introduced more accessible and safer policies ...
|Florida Board of Education approves strict trans bathroom rule 2022-10-24|
- On Oct. 19, the Florida Board of Education approved a strict rule preventing public and charter schools in the state from allowing trans+ youth to use the restroom or locker room consistent with their gender identity ...
|NATIONAL Michigan bill, trans woman killed, school musical, Alabama drag queen 2022-10-23|
- Michigan House Republicans recently introduced legislation that could have the potential to throw parents and doctors in prison for life for offering gender-affirming care to children under the age of 18, MLive.com reported. Under House Bill ...
|NATIONAL Cleveland's ban, LGBT center, Black Public Media, Folx Health 2022-10-16|
- The Cleveland City Council passed a ban on conversion therapy for LGBTQ+ youth and impose criminal penalties for mental health professionals who provide it, cleveland.com reported. The ban, which Councilman Brian Mooney proposed, applies to talk, ...
|WORLD Fertility strategy, trans youth charity, French PM, Mexican spots 2022-10-02|
- The British government committed to a 10-year strategy to end discrimination against "female same-sex couples" seeking fertility services, according to Human Rights Watch. The first-ever Women's Health Strategy for England ...
|Trevor Project returns donation from controversial tech company 2022-09-30|
- The Trevor Project—a leading nonprofit devoted to the mental well-being of LGBTQ+ youth which wants "a world where all LGBTQ young people see a bright future for themselves," according to its website—has returned a donation from ...
|Newsom signs bill making California a sanctuary state for trans youths 2022-09-30|
- On Sept. 29, California Gov. Gavin Newsom signed a bill into law that aims to protect transgender youths and their families from bans against gender-affirming care, the Los Angeles Times reported. Senate Bill 107, by state ...
|GLAAD releases third annual 20 Under 20 list 2022-09-29|
-- From a press release - New York, NYGLAAD revealed its third annual 20 Under 20 list, spotlighting 20 young LGBTQ people, ages 20 and younger, who are accelerating acceptance of LGBTQ people while shaping the future of media and activism. GLAAD's ...
|GLAAD responds to weekend of anti-LGBTQ+ violence, poll suggests 2/3 of GOPs back discussion of LGBTQ+s in schools 2022-09-26|
-- From a press release - (Monday, September 26, 2022) GLAAD condemns a wave of violence against the LGBTQ community across the country and calls for increased protections and support for LGBTQ people and youth, as new data reveals that a vast ...
|DoJ announces $22M to address, prevent sexual assault on campuses 2022-09-23|
- The U.S. Department of Justice (DoJ) announced nearly $22 million in upcoming grant awards to address and prevent sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence and stalking on college campuses; provide services to youth victims and children ...
|Pritzker appoints Isoye to chair the Illinois State Board of Education 2022-09-19|
- Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker appointed Dr. Steven Isoye, a former educator and superintendent, to chair the Illinois State Board of Education, effective immediately. Isoye follows in the footsteps of Darren Reisberg, a member of the LGBTQ+ ...