WINDY CITY TIMES
||Victory Gardens ED leaving amid rising tensions
This article shared 1389 times since Tue Jun 9, 2020
Victory Gardens Theater Executive Director Erica Danielswho was also named executive artistic director just last monthshared her decision with the board to leave the company
This development followed weeks of escalating frustration and anger expressed by artists and others about the board's process and decision to restructure the Victory Garden's leadership team.
"Early last week, after listening to the voices of the artists, staff and others in the artistic community who expressed disagreement and growing outrage with decisions by the board after Chay Yew resigned, I had decided to cede the artistic director role. Unfortunately, the vitriol has really escalated in recent days, which included many hurtful and personal accusations and misstatements about me. I care too much about Victory Gardens and its mission to let this continue, and therefore I have decided to leave the Theater," said Daniels in a statement. " I have always been committed to the mission and values of Victory Gardens and leave here very proud of the outstanding work that Chay and I did together."
Victory Gardens had announced last month that, with the pending departure of Artistic Director Chay Yew, it would restructure and create a more expansive leadership team. That team was to be led by Daniels serving in the dual role of executive and artistic directors, along with an associate artistic director, director of education and human resources, and general manager, with the goal of at least 50 percent diversity among the roles.
Board Chair Steve Miller is also stepping down from his post, effective immediately, saying, "I regret that a more transparent process did not occur. I should have listened more to members of the community, as well as to board members who attempted to guide a more equitable and inclusive process." Miller plans to remain as a member of the board.
This article shared 1389 times since Tue Jun 9, 2020
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|THEATER Harry Lennix to direct Dec. 13 reading of 'Mercy'
- Northlight Theatre will present an Interplay New Play Development Program reading of Mercy, written by Felicia Oduh and directed by Harry Lennix (known for his acting roles on TV shows such as The Blacklist and Billions ...
|Play development series seeks new plays authored by artists of color 2020-11-19|
--From a press release - (Chicago, IL) Calling all bold, imaginative new plays authored by artists of color for Future LabsGoodman Theatre's newest artistic program to develop works authored and directed by Black, Indigenous, Latinx, AAPI and other artists of co ...
|About Face Theatre starts 25th season with Kickback online short play fest 2020-11-18|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (Nov 9, 2020) — About Face Theatre kicks off its landmark 25th season with KICKBACK, an online festival of newly commissioned short plays and performances by Black LGBTQ+ artists, inspired by the Rebuild Foundation's collections ...
Lookingglass to present 'Her Honor Jane Byrne' on Nov. 26, 28 2020-11-17|
- Lookingglass Theatre Company, in collaboration with WBEZ 91.5 Chicago, will present a world-premiere audio play of Her Honor Jane Byrne, written and directed by Ensemble Member and Mellon Playwright in Residence J. Nicole Brooks. Her Honor ...
|MUSICALS 1997 version of Anyone Can Whistle out Dec. 4
- On Sunday, Dec. 4, Jay Records will release a 1997 recording of the musical Anyone Can Whistle, which originally had music and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim as well as a book by Arthur Laurents. The production ...
|Hell in a Handbag to present Rip Nelson Holiday Quarantine Special 2020-11-13|
- CHICAGO (November 12, 2020) — Hell in a Handbag Productions celebrates the holidays with the return of America's favorite funnyman, Rip Nelson (Ed Jones*), in the star-studded world premiere of ...
|THEATER Pride Arts artistic director resigns; PFP keeps Zak 2020-11-12|
- Two controversial developments have occurred at Pride Arts (in which Pride Films & Plays, PFP, is the main tenant). According to a letter from PrideArts President Cheri Tatar that Windy City Times obtained, PFP Artistic Director ...
|THEATER Andre De Shields to help celebrate youth Dec. 9 2020-11-11|
- Andre De Shieldsa Grammy-, Emmy- and Tony-winning actor, director and educator, and the 2019 "Triple Crown" winner for his portrayal of Hermes in Hadestownwill be the keynote speaker of the Victory Gardens Theater event "Voices of ...
|Theater community to offer online plays, musicals, dance, comedy for holidays 2020-11-10|
--From a press release - Chicago, IL (November 10, 2020)— The Chicago theater community will produce a wide variety of online festive plays, musicals, dance and comedy offerings this Holiday season. Theatre venues in Chicago and across the world remain closed ...
|A Red Orchid Theatre appoints Travis Knight, Sadieh Rifai to new positions 2020-11-10|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, ILA Red Orchid Theatre announces the appointments of Ensemble Member Travis Knight as Associate Artistic Director and Ensemble Member Sadieh Rifai as Artistic Development Coordinator. Ensemble member Shade Murray ...
|Theater excellence honored with 52nd annual Equity Awards 2020-11-10|
--From a press release - Nov. 9, 2020 — CHICAGO — In its 52nd annual celebration of theater excellence, the Jeff Awards has recognized 39 recipients for the 2020 awards, selected from among 142 theater artist nominees across 30 artistic and ...
|The African American Arts Alliance announces 2020 Black Excellence Awards
--From a press release - Chicago, ILThe African American Arts Alliance (AAAA) will host the 20th annual Black Excellence Awards, an evening celebrating Black artists, Black voices, and Black stories across artistic disciplines, on November 10, 2020 at 7pm. The 2020 ...
|OUTspoken Storytelling to host tales from LGBTQ perspectives Nov. 10 2020-11-01|
--From a press release - Another exciting OUTspoken Storytelling Night will offer the perspective of four Chicagoans telling life's stories from their LGBTQ+ viewpoint or that of their close friends and relatives, Tuesday, Nov. 10, starting at 7 p.m. on Zoom. ...
|American Blues Theater to present 19th production of It's a Wonderful Life: Live in Chicago 2020-11-01|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, IL — American Blues Theater will produce its 199h Annual Production of It's a Wonderful Life: Live in Chicago! from Frank Capra's film and directed by Artistic Director Gwendolyn Whiteside with musical direction by Michael Mahler ...
|THEATER REVIEW Being Earnest 2020-10-29|
- Playwright book and lyrics by Paul Gordon, music by Paul Gordon and Jay Gruska At Skylight Music Theatre online at SkylightMusicTheatre.org. Tickets: $25. Runs through Dec. 31, 2020. Two things to remember when proposing to transform a ...