WINDY CITY TIMES
||Victory Fund Sends Cease & Desist to NRCC, Condemns False Ad About Jones
This article shared 630 times since Thu Oct 11, 2018
Washington, DC — Today LGBTQ Victory Fund is demanding through a cease and desist letter that the National Republican Congressional Committee ( NRCC ) remove from the air and internet a false advertisement attacking U.S. Congressional candidate Gina Ortiz Jones. The ad, released Tuesday in support of U.S. Rep. Will Hurd, used footage of Jones at a Victory Fund event and through editing distorted its meaning to mislead voters. The NRCC did not request permission to edit and distribute the video and Victory Fund's legal team determined it constitutes copyright infringement. Victory Fund is non-partisan.
The video shows Jones encouraging event attendees to contribute to Victory Fund's efforts to elect openly LGBTQ candidates who will advance equal rights for LGBTQ people. The NRCC purposely edits the video to make it appear as if Gina is asking for contributions for her own campaign — which she was not. Victory Fund is demanding the NRCC end all use of the attack ad.
"Gina attended our event and gave a powerful speech about how being a child of immigrants and serving under 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' have fueled her desire to make a difference for average Americans," said Mayor Annise Parker, President & CEO of LGBTQ Victory Fund. "The NRCC and Will Hurd apparently find no moral obligation to be truthful — purposefully distorting Gina's deeply personal speech to mislead voters. We have ordered the NRCC to end all use of the attack ad immediately because of the unauthorized misuse of our copyrighted material.
"Will Hurd should also condemn the false attack ad and demand the NRCC remove it from the air. Rep. Hurd continues to make self-aggrandizing calls for 'civility' in public discourse, but quietly nods and smiles as his supporters spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on false attacks that are the antithesis of civility. If Rep. Hurd wants to live up to his own hype, he must condemn this ad and these tactics.
"At our event in April, Gina called on those in the room to support our non-partisan organization with a contribution — which Victory Fund could then use to support openly LGBTQ candidates who have long been marginalized in American politics. The NRCC and Hurd may oppose our mission to elect openly LGBTQ candidates who must overcome homophobia and transphobia to win elected office, but we appreciate having a leader like Gina on our side."
Gina Oritz Jones is endorsed by Victory Fund and would become the first openly LGBTQ person in Congress from Texas if elected in November.
—From a press release
LGBTQ Victory Fund
LGBTQ Victory Fund works to change the face and voice of America's politics and achieve equality for LGBTQ Americans by increasing the number of openly LGBTQ elected officials at all levels of government.
This article shared 630 times since Thu Oct 11, 2018
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Equality Illinois to host Pride Kickoff Brunch on June 4 2022-05-27|
- Equality Illinois will host its Pride Kickoff Brunch on Saturday, June 4, 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. at Venue West, 221 N. Paulina Ave. This year, the organization's honoree will be Illinois House Majority Leader Greg Harristhe first ...
|State Farm drops GenderCool Project; Illinois General Assembly LGBTQ Caucus, Equality Illinois respond 2022-05-26|
- This week in response to an outcry from a hateful few, Illinois-based insurer State Farm dropped their support for The GenderCool Project, which provides LGBTQ-affirming books to schools across the country on a voluntary basis. We ...
|LGBTQ Victory Fund endorses 20 more LGBTQ candidates 2022-05-26|
-- From a press release - Washington, DC — Today LGBTQ Victory Fund, the only national organization dedicated to electing LGBTQ leaders to public office, endorsed 20 more out LGBTQ candidates. Victory Fund has now endorsed 292 candidates running in the 2022 ...
|Governor Pritzker, Lt. Governor Stratton comment on Texas tragedy 2022-05-25|
-- From a press release - Chicago In the wake of a mass shooting at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, that killed at least 19 students and two adults, Governor JB Pritzker and Lt. Governor Juliana Stratton released the following ...
|Indiana institutes anti-trans sports ban, overrides Holcomb's veto 2022-05-25|
- The Indiana General Assembly overturned Republican Gov. Eric Holcomb's veto of House Bill 1041, which prohibits transgender girls from playing girls school sports, according to the IndyStar. The House voted to override the veto 67-28; the ...
|Pritzker signs measure protecting Illinoisans with disabilities in housing, state government 2022-05-23|
-- From a press release - Chicago— Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker signed HB2775 and SB180 into law today, expanding protections for Illinoisans with disabilities in state government and housing. HB2775 amends the Illinois Human Rights Act ...
|Equality Florida Executive Director Nadine Smith named to Time100 List 2022-05-23|
-- From a press release - St. Petersburg, FL — TIME named Equality Florida Executive Director Nadine Smith to the 2022 TIME100, its annual list of the 100 most influential people in the world. The full list and related tributes appear in ...
|NATIONAL Idaho groups, Clay Aiken, Radio Milwaukee, Louisville school 2022-05-22|
- In northern Idaho, two groups with different agendas plan to hold events on the same day (June 11) at Coeur d'Alene City Parkand both organizations have issued statements, according to the Bonner County Daily Bee. The ...
|WORLD Nigeria protest, 'Flag in the Map,' Belgium, McDonald's 2022-05-22|
- Dressed in rainbow-colored vests, members of the LGBTQ+ community marched in a dangerous demonstration in Nigeria's capital, Abuja, to protest a bill introduced by lawmakers in Nigeria's lower house of parliament last month seeking to ban ...
|Penn. LGBTQ+ candidates mostly suffer losses on primary night 2022-05-21|
- LGBTQ+ candidates running for the U.S. Senate, U.S. House, lieutenant governor and a seat in the Pennsylvania House of Representatives in Philadelphia's "gayborhood" each lost their races in the Keystone State's May 17 Democratic primary, The ...
|POLITICS GOP candidate Irvin called Trump an 'idiot,' backed LGBTQ+s 2022-05-16|
- GOP gubernatorial candidate and current Aurora Mayor Richard Irvin has dodged talking about former U.S. President Donald Trump (and many other topics)but recently revealed records show how Irvin reportedly felt ...
|Police officer enters Chicago mayoral race 2022-05-16|
- Longtime Chicago police officer Frederick Collins has jumped into the Chicago mayoral raceand it's not his first. Collins also ran for mayor eight years ago. His 2014 interview with Windy ...
|WORLD Eswatini ruling, Toronto deaths, Greece, blood donations 2022-05-15|
- The High Court in Eswatini (formerly Swaziland) rejected an appeal for legal recognition by the local LGBTQ+-rights group Eswatini Sexual & Gender Minorities, citing "laws … prevailing in the kingdom" ...
|NATIONAL New York synod, Danica Roem, legal action, Pride news, PFLAG 2022-05-15|
- The Metropolitan New York Synod (MNYS), the regional body of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, announced Christopher Vergara as its newly elected vice president, according to a press release. Vergara is the first openly gay ...
|PASSAGES Urvashi Vaid dies, The National LGBTQ Task Force releases statement 2022-05-14|
-- From a press release - WASHINGTON, DC……Legendary attorney, LGBTQ activist, and author Urvashi Vaid, known for her extensive career an advocate for LGBTQ rights, women's rights, anti-war efforts, immigration justice and many other social causes ...