WINDY CITY TIMES
||Victory Fund: Pete Buttigieg candidacy a "Revolution in American Politics"
This article shared 980 times since Mon Mar 2, 2020
Washington, DC Today LGBTQ Victory Fund, the only national organization dedicated to electing LGBTQ leaders to public office, congratulated Pete Buttigieg on his historic run for president of the United States. Buttigieg is the first openly LGBTQ person to run for the Democratic presidential nomination and just the second openly LGBTQ presidential candidate in American history. LGBTQ Victory Fund was his first national endorsement in June 2019.
Mayor Annise Parker, President & CEO of LGBTQ Victory Fund, released the following statement about his decision to suspend his presidential campaign:
"Pete's candidacy represents a revolution in American politics, forever transforming what is possible for an LGBTQ candidate and making clear America will elect an openly LGBTQ president. The impact of his campaign extends beyond this election cycle and is about much more than politics or the presidency. Pete spoke in small-town restaurants in Iowa, held rallies in New Hampshire and battled it out on the presidential debate stage reaching Americans from all walks of life and changing perceptions of LGBTQ people all along the way. He inspired LGBTQ youth to come out in valedictory speeches, to attend their first Pride parade, and to believe America has a place for them. We thank Pete for his courage to stand up and run to be a trailblazer and are confident this will not be his last moment on the national stage."
More information about Victory Fund and Pete's historic candidacy is available at victoryforpete.com . Since 1991, Victory Fund has helped thousands of openly LGBTQ candidates win local, state and federal elections.
LGBTQ Victory Fund
LGBTQ Victory Fund works to change the face and voice of America's politics and achieve equality for LGBTQ Americans by increasing the number of openly LGBTQ elected officials at all levels of government.
—From a press release
This article shared 980 times since Mon Mar 2, 2020
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Research on military trans ban shows urgency of Biden acting on pledge 2021-01-14|
--From a press release by The Palm Center - President-elect Joseph Biden has promised to reverse the military's ban on service by transgender Americans on "day one" of his presidency. Research recently released by the Palm Center explains why lifting the ban is an urgent ...
|Gov. Pritzker releases statement on impeachment of President Trump 2021-01-14|
--From a press release - Springfield Governor JB Pritzker issued the following statement following the second impeachment of President Trump. "For the first time in United States history, a sitting President has been impeached on two separate occasions by the ...
|40+ national LGBTQ and movement leaders call for removal of President 2021-01-14|
--From a GLAAD press release - GLAAD and more than 40 national LGBTQ and movement leaders have signed onto a statement calling for the removal of Pres. Trump from office: "Our nation's security and the personal security of every American is in ...
|U.S. House votes to impeach Trump again
- On Jan. 13, a majority of the U.S. House has voted to impeach President Donald Trump for a second time. Trump would be the first U.S. president to be impeached twice. This development occurred a week ...
|Welch set to be new Illinois House speaker, ending Madigan era
- State Rep. Emanuel "Chris" Welch is positioned to become Illinois' speaker of the House, ending Mike Madigan's decades-long occupation of that role, The Chicago Tribune reported. Welch will also be the state's first Black speaker ...
|State Rep. Emanuel Chris Welch elected Speaker of Illinois House, leaders respond 2021-01-13|
--From press releases - Statement from Equality Illinois CEO Brian C. Johnson on the election of State Rep. Emanuel Chris Welch as Speaker of the Illinois House of Representatives for the 102nd General Assembly: "Equality Illinois congratulates Rep. Welch on ...
|Illinois legislature passes bill ending money bond 2021-01-13|
--From a press release by The Coalition to End Money Bond - Since 2016, communities across Illinois have been rigorously organizing to end money bond. Today, after years of work by the Coalition to End Money Bond and Illinois Network for Pretrial Justice, the state's legislature has voted in ...
|Kim Foxx names new chief of staff and policy
- Cook County State's Attorney Kim Foxx has appointed Alyson Miller to the hybrid role of chief of staff and policy. Miller will assume this newly created position later this month, when Foxx's current chief of staff, Jennifer Ballard Croft, leaves ...
|Choucair part of Biden/Harris COVID-19 response team
- Dr. Bechara Choucairthe senior vice president and chief health officer at Kaiser Permanente, and onetime commissioner of the Chicago Department of Public Healthis part of new President Joe Biden and ...
|Mayor Lightfoot, DCASE announce $2.5M in arts grants 2021-01-11|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, IL Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot and the Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE) today announced $2.5 million in funding opportunities for Chicago artists and arts organizations. A new "Artist Response Program," ...
|Madigan suspends bid for another term as House speaker
- Embattled Illinois House Speaker Michael Madigan announced Jan. 11 that he was suspending his bid for another term leading the chamberbut is not withdrawing from the race, The Chicago Tribune reported. Madigan fell nine votes short ...
|WORLD Greece appointee, India trans items, top LGBTQ issues 2021-01-11|
- The center-right government of Greece announced the country's first out minister, out.com reported. Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis appointed Nicholas Yatromanolakis as the new deputy minister of culture. The 44-year-old native ...
|Calif. court blocks Trump administration's asylum rule
- In response to a request from Immigration Equality, Lambda Legal, and Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP, the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California issued an order on Jan. 8 blocking, in its ...
|Trump to skip Biden's Jan. 20 inauguration
- Outgoing President Donald Trump conveyed on social media that he will not be attending new President Joe Biden's inauguration. "To all of those who have asked, I will not be going to the Inauguration on January ...
|National LGBTQ organizations call for Trump's removal from office 2021-01-08|
--From a press release - New York, NY - Thursday, Jan. 7, 2020 - GLAAD, the world's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) media advocacy organization, along with leading LGBTQ legal, health, youth, justice and equality organizations, is callin ...