EN LA VIDA
||Vicky DiProva remembers
This article shared 5275 times since Fri Aug 1, 2003
It is hard to imagine that such a big personality is gone … I first met Gerardo over 10 years ago in the course of doing volunteer work in the LGBT community. Over the past 2-1/2 years I had the fortune to get to know him closely through our work at Rape Victim Advocates, and the long hours we spent taking numerous road trips to and from Springfield as we did statewide sexual assault coalition work.
Gerardo is and will be terribly missed by his fellow staff and the volunteers in the RVA family. His was a voice of strength and reason through the grind and drama of 24/7 crisis work. No doubt about it, Gerardo contributed to the field of sexual violence services and prevention in significant ways—he was an exceptionally skilled educator and spoke the many languages of our diverse, targeted audience. And as a champion of oppression and privilege training, he implored people to just do the right thing. I admired his ability to expect (and sometimes demand) the best of people long after I would lose energy and give up. But above and beyond, we are going to really miss the little things we came to associate with Gerardo—his welcoming attitude, his love of gadgets, pop Divas and Pikachu, our shopping trips to Ikea and Cost Co, and the chocolate-filled stress drawer.
As a very vocal advocate for the under-represented, Gerardo recently complained to me that he was often frustrated that people would role their eyes or 'tune out' when he'd begin to speak during meetings. He expressed the wish that people would hear the message and not just the messenger. For certain, quite a few meetings around town will be shorter now, but I doubt they'll be as challenging and meaningful.
Vicky DiProva , Executive Director, Rape Victim Advocates
This article shared 5275 times since Fri Aug 1, 2003
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|PASSAGES Renowned author, professor, LGBTQ+-rights activist Arnie Kantrowitz 2022-01-25|
- Renowned author, professor and LGBTQ activist Arnie Kantrowitz died Jan. 21 in New York City's Upper East Side Rehabilitation Center due to complications from COVID-19. He was 81. Kantrowitz was born Nov. 26, 1940, in Newark, ...
|Fashion designer Thierry Mugler dies at 73 2022-01-24|
- Openly gay French fashion designer Thierry Mugler (full name: Manfred Thierry Mugler) has passed away at age 73, according to media reports. Madonna, Lady Gaga and Cardi B are among those who have worn his designs. ...
|Former Iowa Mr. Leather and computer programmer Ken Ballard dies at 43 2022-01-21|
- Former Iowa Mr. Leather, computer programmer and gay Chicagoan Ken Meverick Ballard died Jan. 11 in his Lake View home at the age of 43. The cause of death is currently unknown. Ballard was born July ...
|PASSAGES Pansy Kings performance artist, education advocate Murray McKay 2022-01-20|
- Pansy Kings performance artist, education advocate, curator, designer and LGBTQ activist Edward Murray McKay died Jan. 4 of cancer. He was 53. McKay was born Oct. 2, 1968, in Brussels, Belgium. The family moved to Toronto ...
|Fashion icon Andre Leon Talley dies at 73 2022-01-19|
- Andre Leon Talleythe fashion icon and former creative director of Vogue magazinedied Jan. 18 at age 73. Details were not immediately revealed. In addition to his agent, Talley's Instagram account confirmed Talley's passing, noting that ...
|PASSAGES Allen Anthony Schuh 2022-01-17|
- Allen Schuh loved Christmas, so as a final gift he got to see his beloved lights and ornaments one last time before passing quietly away Dec. 28, 2021. Born July 9, 1940, in Chicago's South Side, ...
|PASSAGES Veronica Drake 2022-01-13|
- Veronica Drake—a onetime Chicago resident and longtime LGBTQ+-rights activist—recently passed away in October. She was 58. She last resided in Florida. According to an obituary at Marvin C. Zanders Funeral Home, Inc., Drake was born Sept. 15 ...
|PASSAGES Jeffrey Wayne ("Jef") Morgan 2022-01-11|
- Jeffrey Wayne "Jef" Morgan, of Chicago's West Rogers Park neighborhood, passed away unexpectedly from a heart attack while shoveling snow on Jan. 2. He was 58. Jef was the well-loved manager at Little Jim's on ...
|PASSAGES Black trans activist Ke'Yahonna Stone, victim of gun violence, dies 2022-01-11|
- Ke'Yahonna Stone was shot at Castle Run Shopping Center's Epic Ultra Lounge parking lot in Indianapolis, Indiana, in the early morning hours of Dec. 26. She was taken to the hospital and died Dec. 28 after ...
|LGBTQ Illinois police sergeant to be laid to rest Jan. 7 2022-01-06|
- Bradley, Illinois, Police Sergeant Marlene Rittmanic—who was killed in the line of duty on Dec. 30, 2021—will be laid to rest Friday, Jan. 7, NewsChannel20.com reported. A visitation will be held for Rittmanic at 2-7 p.m. ...
|Michigan's first out gay man dies at 91 2022-01-04|
- Jim Toythe person widely considered to be Michigan's first openly gay man and one of its most prominent LGBTQ activistspassed away at age 91, MLive.com reported. Toy died on New Year's Day, said Washtenaw County Commissioner ...
|WORLD Trans model dies, museum exhibit, Tunisia case 2022-01-02|
- April Ashleyreportedly the first Briton to undergo gender-confirmation surgeryhas died at 86, according to an Out item that cited The Liverpool Echo. Ashley, who was born in Liverpool, was the first known trans model to appear ...
|LGBTQ travel expert Jeff Guaracino dies at 48 2021-12-30|
- Philadelphia native, author and Visit Philadelphia President/CEO Jeff Guaracino died Dec. 28, following a long battle with cancer. He was 48. Guaracino worked to boost the economies of both his hometown and Atlantic City as head ...
|Former Democratic leader Harry Reid dies at 82 2021-12-29|
- Harry Reid, the former Democratic Senate leader who spearheaded epic legislative battles through three decades in Congress, has died at age 82 following a long battle with pancreatic cancer, according to media reports. Reid rose from ...
|Human-rights champion Archbishop Desmond Tutu dies at 90 2021-12-26|
- Archbishop Desmond Tutua Nobel Peace Prize laureate who was known for his stances for human rights and against South Africa's white minority ruledied Dec. 26 at age 90. According to Reuters, the presidency conveyed news of ...