WINDY CITY TIMES
||Utah billionaire leaves Mormon Church, donates to LGBTQ group
This article shared 465 times since Wed Dec 22, 2021
Billionaire Jeff Green resigned from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, writing in a letter to the church's president that he believes the institution has "hindered global progress in women's rights, civil rights and racial equality, and LGBTQ+ rights, according to an NBC News item that cited The Salt Lake Tribune.
He wrote that he will donate $600,000 to the LGBTQ advocacy group Equality Utah as the first major donation from his family foundation's giving arm, Dataphilanthropy. Equality Utah Executive Director Troy Williams said the organization is "incredibly grateful for Jeff's generosity and support."
Green, the chairman and CEO of the global technology company The Trade Desk, informally left the church a decade ago but made things official Dec. 20.
Green said in his letter that most of the church's members are "good people trying to do right" but that he believes "the church is actively and currently doing harm in the world."
This article shared 465 times since Wed Dec 22, 2021
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Pope Benedict admits mistake in sex-abuse case 2022-01-25|
- On Jan. 24, retired Pope Benedict XVI admitted that he did attend a meeting in Munich in 1980 where an abusive priest was discussed, saying an earlier denial was the result of an editing mistake, according ...
|Former pope faulted in report on sexual abuse in German diocese 2022-01-20|
- A long-awaited report on sexual abuse in Germany's Munich diocese faulted retired Pope Benedict XVI's handling of four cases when he was archbishop in the 1970s and 1980s, The Chicago Tribune reported. Westpfahl Spilker Wastl, the ...
|Pope Francis thanks U.S. nun for advancing LGBTQ+ rights 2022-01-14|
- In a recent letter to Sister Jeannine Gramick, Pope Francis thanked her for her 50 years of advocacy and ministry to LGBTQ+ Catholics, The Hill reported. The pope in his letter, dated Dec. 10, said Gramick ...
|LETTER Continue the dialogue on racism 2022-01-08|
- I am writing this letter to the editor about the article that appeared on the Windy City Times website titled "A look at Northalsted/Boystown bars since 2020 town hall on racism," written by Cris Villalonga-Vivoni. Also, ...
|NATIONAL Vermont judges, trans bishop, Jared Polis, gay mayor 2022-01-02|
- Vermont Gov. Phil Scott announced his appointments of three Vermont Superior Court judgesElizabeth Novotny, of Jericho; Heather Gray, of Quechee; and Justin Jiron, of Underhill, a press release noted. Novotny is a Vermont lawyer with more ...
|Lighthouse Foundation releases analysis of Chicago LGBTQ+ nonprofits 2021-12-28|
- Lighthouse Foundation of Chicagolanda Black- and queer-led, multiracial social justice organizationhas released its Black Queer Equity Index (BQEI). The BQEI evaluates the organizational cultures of five of the area's largest ...
|Pride in the Pews: from storytelling to mobilizing Black LGBTQ+ leaders of faith 2021-12-21|
- Storytelling, justice and communitythese core values drove Pride in the Pews when it began in March 2021 as a campaign to collect 66 stories from Black LGBTQ+ Christians across the country. While the mission for Pride ...
|Indiana minister leaves job after appearing with drag queens in TV series 2021-12-12|
- The Rev. Craig Duke has been a Methodist minister for three decades, building a reputation as a staunch advocate of LGBTQ inclusion. However, according to ABC News, his pastoral duties have endedthe result of a split ...
|Michigan diocese issues anti-trans request 2021-12-12|
- A Catholic diocese in Michigan is asking its pastors to deny baptism, confirmation and other sacraments to transgender and nonbinary people unless they have "repented"a policy that's possibly the most sweeping of its kind in the ...
|Rainbow Railroad plans 'When I Am Free' benefit concert to get LGBTQI+s to safety 2021-11-20|
--From a press release. Videos below - Chicago, IL (November 12, 2021) - The annual Chicago 5 Lives Fundraiser hosted by Rainbow Railroad is proud to return this year with "When I Am Free", a benefit concert offering attendees a premier evening of ...
|Bishops approve paper that falls short of denying Communion to pro-choice Biden 2021-11-18|
--From a press release - On Nov. 17, the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops voted overwhelmingly to approve a document that fell short of refusing Holy Communion to President Joe Biden or others who support abortion rights—something conservatives in the Church ...
|Hell in a Handbag Productions to present Christmas Dearest 2021-11-12|
--From a press release - Book & Lyrics David Cerda Music by David Cerda and Scott Lamberty. Directed by Derek Van Barham. Nov. 27 — Dec. 31, 2021 at Ebenezer Lutheran Churchz CHICAGO (November 11, 2021) — Hell in a Handbag ...
|Believe Out Loud multi-faith statement decries Texas' anti trans youth law 2021-11-02|
--From a press release - DALLAS, Texas (Nov. 2, 2021) — A national coalition of 37 organizations and more than 171 individuals have endorsed a multi-faith statement of solidarity with transgender children in Texas, after Texas Gov. Greg Abbott signed into ...
|NATIONAL Foster-parent case, stars speak out, Texas youth, 'Queer Eye,' HIV 2021-10-17|
- Americans United for Separation of Church and State and Lambda Legal, together with the law firm Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP, filed a federal lawsuit against the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), along ...
|OP-ED The Black church was one of R. Kelly's enablers 2021-10-13|
- The long-awaited justice for R. Kelly's survivors finally came last month when a New York federal jury found him guilty of racketeering and sex trafficking. For nearly 30 years, underage Black girls and their families have ...