WINDY CITY TIMES
||U.S. women earn 27th consecutive win at FIBA World Cup
This article shared 568 times since Tue Sep 27, 2022
Kelsey Plum scored 20 points, Chelsea Gray added 16 and the United States routed Bosnia and Herzegovina 121-59 on Sept. 27 to break the team record for consecutive wins at the FIBA Women's Basketball World Cup taking place in Sydney, Australia, ESPN noted.
The victory was the 27th in a row in World Cup play for the Americans, who haven't lost since the 2006 semifinals against Russia. The United States won 26 in a row from 1994 to 2006 leading up to that game.
The Soviet Union holds the World Cup record with 56 straight wins from 1959 to 1986.
After going unbeaten in pool play again, the U.S. hasn't lost a game prior to the semifinals since 1983.
The U.S. squad (5-0) won its pool games by an average of 46.2 points (including a game in which it scored 145 points) and never trailed in any of them. Now, the team will face Serbia in the quarterfinals on Wed., Sept. 28. Canada and Puerto Rico are also in the same bracket and will play each other on the same date.
This article shared 568 times since Tue Sep 27, 2022
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|DiBernardo leaving Chicago Red Stars 2022-12-06|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO, Ill. (December 6, 2022) - Vanessa DiBernardo, Chicago Red Stars midfielder and team captain, has informed the team that she does not plan to re-sign with the club. The Naperville native has been a part ...
|Santa Speedo Run returns with plenty of holiday cheer 2022-12-05|
- The 11th annual Santa Speedo Run took place at Sidetrack Video Bar Dec. 3. The event, a fundraiser for Center on Halsted, has grown exponentially year after year and has managed to take on a life ...
|Bears, Bulls and Blackhawks all lose; NU wins; Illinois in bowl game 2022-12-05|
- The streaks continue for the Chicago Bears (3-10). The Bears fell short against the archrival Green Bay Packers (5-8) 28-19 at Soldier Field on Dec. 4. It was Green Bay's eighth straight series win over Chicago, ...
|Blackhawks end losing streak; UChicago makes soccer history 2022-12-04|
- On Dec. 3, the visiting Chicago Blackhawks (7-12-4) defeated the New York Rangers (11-10-4) 5-2, snapping an eight-game losing streak. With an assist on Taylor Raddysh's goal to put the team up 4-1 in the third period, ...
|Chicago Red Stars lose three to free agency 2022-12-01|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO, Ill. (Dec.1, 2022) - Midfielders Danielle Colaprico and Morgan Gautrat as well as forward Rachel Hill have informed the Chicago Red Stars that they do not plan to re-sign with the club. The three became ...
|Bulls, Blackhawks lose; Lightfoot-Fire FC link 2022-12-01|
- The Chicago Bulls (9-12) fell to the Phoenix Suns (15-6) 132-113 in Arizona on Nov. 30, dropping the Bulls to 12th in the Eastern Conference. Phoenix now leads the Western Conference. Devin Booker scored 51 for ...
|Chicago Sky announces 2023 schedule 2022-12-01|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO — The Chicago Sky announced its schedule for the 2023 season, the WNBA announced on Wednesday. It marks the 27th season for the WNBA and the 18th for the Chicago Sky franchise. The WNBA ...
|Chicago Bulls beat Jazz; Abreu leaves White Sox 2022-11-29|
- In Salt Lake City on Nov. 28, the Chicago Bulls (9-11) beat the Utah Jazz (12-11) 114-107. The Bulls' DeMar DeRozan led the team with 26 points as the Jazz suffered their fifth consecutive loss, according ...
|Bears, Blackhawks lose big 2022-11-28|
- The Chicago Bears (3-9), without starting quarterback Justin Fields, lost to the New York Jets (7-4) 31-10 on Nov. 27 in East Rutherford, New Jersey. Jets quarterback Mike White threw three touchdown passes in his first ...
|WORLD Church of England, World Cup news, court rulings, Justin Trudeau 2022-11-27|
- The Church of England is defending the scrutinized guidance for its 4,700 primary schools on LGBTQ+ issues, claiming that it doesn't allow students as young as 5 to self-identify as the opposite sex, The Christian Post ...
|Illinois thumps NU in Wildcats' season finale 2022-11-27|
- In college football, Northwestern University (1-11) concluded a woeful season by losing to the University of Illinois 41-3 on Nov. 26, finishing with an 11-game losing streak after edging Nebraska in Dublin, Ireland in the Wildcats' ...
|Fields hurt as Bears lose; 'Hawks fall; NU field hockey; Loyola 2022-11-21|
- Nov. 20 was a long day for Chicago sports teams. In Georgia, the Chicago Bears (3-8) fell to the Atlanta Falcons (5-6) by a score of 24-21 on Nov. 20 as the Bears' dynamic starting quarterback, ...
|Blackhawks get crushed; NU's futility streak continues 2022-11-20|
- Taking on the nearly invincible Boston Bruins (16-2-0) at their home, the Chicago Blackhawks (6-8-3) were routed 6-1 on Nov. 19. Boston's win extends the Bruins' home winning streak to start the season at 11 games, ...
|Bulls lose to Magic as LaVine is benched; NU women's field hockey 2022-11-19|
- On Nov. 18 at the United Center, the Chicago Bulls (6-10) lost to the Orlando Magic (5-11) by a score of 108-107. Coach Billy Donovan benched Zach LaVine (who only had four points) for the final ...
|Chicago debuts new rugby team 2022-11-18|
- On Nov. 17, officials from Major League Rugby announced that a new franchise named the Chicago Hounds will begin play in February 2023, per a press release. At the news conference in downtown Chicago, the league ...