WINDY CITY TIMES
||U.S. men's soccer team returning to World Cup
This article shared 567 times since Thu Mar 31, 2022
After missing the World Cup in 2018, the U.S. men's soccer team is returning to the global tournament that will take place in Qatardespite losing its March 30 game against Costa Rica.
The United States lost 2-0, but still managed to secure one of CONCACAF's three automatic berths, along with group winner Canada and rival Mexico, according to ESPN.
The team went into the game at Estadio Nacional needing only to avoid a loss of six goals or more to punch its ticket. The U.S. squad finished the 14-game qualifying cycle with a record of seven wins, three losses and four draws, for 25 points. That total left the United States three points behind Canada and Mexico, and level with Costa Rica; however, a goal differential of +11 ensured the U.S. finished ahead of the Central American country.
Only three teams in the 32-side field haven't been determined. In a pair of one-game playoffs in Qatar in June, Costa Rica will play New Zealand while Peru will play either Australia or the United Arab Emirates. The final spot will belong to the winner of Wales vs. Scotland/Ukraine.
This article shared 567 times since Thu Mar 31, 2022
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Cubs win 'Field of Dreams' game; White Sox, Sky lose 2022-08-12|
- In the "Field of Dreams" game on Aug. 11, the Chicago Cubs (46-65) defeated the Cincinnati Reds (44-67) 4-2 in Dyersville, Iowa. True to the nature of the classic 1989 movie, the game was played by ...
|Sky lose historic game; Cubs fall; White Sox split 2022-08-10|
- In what was openly lesbian WNBA legend Sue Bird's final regular-season game against the Chicago Sky (25-9), things certainly were memorable for her and the Seattle Storm (21-13). The Storm defeated the Sky 111-100 at Wintrust ...
|Sky, Red Stars, Fire and White Sox all win; Cubs do not 2022-08-08|
- The Chicago Sky (25-8) extended their franchise record with their 25th victory, defeating the Connecticut Sun (22-11) 94-91 on Aug. 7 at Wintrust Arena in a game that was nationally televised on ABC. Courtney Vandersloot led ...
|NATIONAL Okla. schools, Tenn. lawsuit, political items, Mich. library 2022-08-07|
Video below - Oklahoma public schools have started requiring students from kindergarten to college to complete "biological sex affidavits" if they want to compete in school sports, in accordance with a state law that took effect earlier this year, ...
|WORLD Zelensky, French position, UK drag-queen shows, triathlons 2022-08-07|
- Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelensky confirmed he will ask Ukraine's government to look into legalizing same-sex marriage after the war with Russia ends, PinkNews reported. Ukraine's constitution defines marriage as between a man and a woman. Last ...
|Sky, Cubs and White Sox all win 2022-08-06|
- The Chicago Sky (24-8) defeated the Washington Mystics (20-13) 93-83 at Wintrust Arena on Aug. 5. The Sky tied a franchise record with 24 wins in a single seasona record set during the 2013 WNBA regular ...
|Brittney Griner found guilty, sentenced to nine years 2022-08-04|
- On Aug. 4, a Russian court found out WNBA star Brittney Griner guilty of drug smuggling and possession charges—and sentenced her to nine years in prison. The widely expected verdict came after a monthlong trial ...
|The Chicago Sky launch The Net: A Mental Health Initiative 2022-08-03|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO (Aug. 3, 2022)—As issues of mental health make headlines in sport—and women's sports in particular—the WNBA championship team Chicago Sky launched "The Net," (A Network of Mental Health Support in ...
|Cubs keep Contreras, Happ; White Sox win; Sky lose 2022-08-03|
- In the wake of a 6-0 loss at the St. Louis Cardinals (55-48) on Aug. 2, the Chicago Cubs (41-61) did not trade catcher Willson Contreras or outfielder Ian Happ, WGN-TV noted. Both were listed in ...
|Chicago Sky's James Wade named WNBA Coach of the Month for second straight time 2022-08-02|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO (Aug. 2, 2022)Chicago Sky General Manager/Head Coach James Wade has been selected as the WNBA Coach of the Month for July, the league announced. This is the second month in a row Wade has won ...
|Courtney Vandersloot named WNBA Eastern Conference Player of the Week 2022-08-02|
-- From a press release - CHICAGOThe Chicago Sky's Courtney Vandersloot was named WNBA Eastern Conference Player of the Week, the league announced. This marks the second time this season and eighth time in Vandersloot's 12-year career to receive the honor. Vandersloo ...
|Vandersloot reaches mark in Sky win; MLB teams split 2022-08-01|
- Courtney Vandersloot dished out 12 assistspassing Lindsay Whalen to become number three all-time on the WNBA assists listas the Sky (23-7) edged the Connecticut Sun (20-10) 95-92 in overtime at Mohegan Sun Arena on July 31. ...
|WORLD Cuban referendum, Gay Games, Berlin attacks, Indian trans men 2022-07-31|
- Cuba's parliament announced that the country will hold a referendum on the legalization of same-sex marriage and surrogate parenthood, Deutsche Welle reported. The referendum on the new family law is scheduled to be held Sunday, Sept. ...
|Lesbian fighter Amanda Nunes recaptures UFC title 2022-07-31|
- On July 30, Amanda Nunesa Brazilian lesbian who's considered one of the best mixed martial-arts fighters of all timerecaptured the UFC women's bantamweight title from Julianna Pena in a match in Dallas' American Airlines Center, ES ...
|Red Stars lose; Fire tie Atlanta; Cubs fall but White Sox split 2022-07-31|
- On July 30, the visiting Chicago Red Stars (5-3-5) lost to the first-place San Diego Wave (7-3-4) 1-0. Jaedyn Shaw scored for the Wave. Vanessa DiBernardo took home Star of the Match, per a press release. ...