|UIC Names New Liberal Arts Dean
This article shared 4330 times since Fri Jun 1, 2007
Dwight A. McBride, the chairman of African-American studies at Northwestern University, has been named the dean of the University of Illinois at Chicago's College of Arts and Sciences, according to a UIC press release.
McBride, who will be Christopher Comer's successor, was at UIC during the years 1999-2002. He started as an assistant English and African-American studies professor and became a associate professor in 2001. In 2002, he accepted his current Northwestern post.
A writer who has been consistently honored for his work, McBride's 'Why I Hate Abercrombie and Fitch: Essays on Race and Sexuality,' a collection of cultural criticism, was nominated for the 2006 Lambda Literary Award and the 2006 Hurston-Wright Legacy Award. Another work of his is the award-winning '100 Years of the 'Souls of Black Folk': A Celebration of W.E.B. DuBois.'
With more than 10,000 undergraduate and graduate students, Liberal Arts and Sciences is UIC's largest college. It comprises 21 departments and programs and offering more than 60 undergraduate majors and 40 minors.
If the university's board of trustees approves McBride for the position, he will assume the seat on Aug. 16.
This article shared 4330 times since Fri Jun 1, 2007
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE
|911 calls, videos show cascade of failures in Nex Benedict's death, GLAAD responds 2024-02-24
- "It is haunting to hear Nex Benedict, in their own words, describe how school and state leaders failed, at every level of leadership, to keep them safe from bullying and harm. Less than 24 hours later, ...
|Oklahoma non-binary student dies after being assaulted 2024-02-21
- Officials acknowledged there are unresolved questions about a 16-year-old non-binary Oklahoma student who died one day after a fight in a high school bathroom, NBC News noted. Chuck Hoskin Jr., principal chief of the Cherokee Nation, ...
|Owasso High School student of Bridge v. Oklahoma State Board of Education case dies, groups respond 2024-02-20
--From press releases - Oklahoma City, Okla. — In response to the death of 16-year-old Owasso High School student Nex Benedict following an assault in the school restroom, Lambda Legal, the American Civil Liberties Union, and the ACLU of Oklahoma ...
|Center on Halsted to host trans youth & family summit 2024-02-19
- Center on Halsted, 3656 N. Halsted St., has announced that its Trans Youth & Family Summit 2024 will take place March 16. This year marks the sixth annual event, which partners between Youth Services' Pride Youth ...
|Human Rights Campaign report releases new data on experiences of Black queer youth 2024-02-14
--From a press release - WASHINGTON — Today, the Human Rights Campaign Foundation (HRC), the educational arm of the nation's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ+) civil rights organization, released a report in ...
|HRC State Equality Index: Anti-LGBTQ+ 2023 state legislative season "most destructive" 2024-01-30
--From a press release - WASHINGTON—Today, the Human Rights Campaign Foundation (HRC), the education arm of the nation's largest Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer (LGBTQ+) civil rights organization, in partnership with the Equality Federatio ...
|New Survey: Unstable housing most cited reason for food insecurity among LGBTQ+ youth 2024-01-30
--From a Williams Institute press release - A new report by the Williams Institute at UCLA School of Law finds that 85% of LGBTQ+ youth programs surveyed said unstable housing was the main reason LGBTQ+ youth had inadequate access to food. The programs ...
|NATIONAL Toni Atkins, Maine, bisexual advocate dies, Jussie Smollett, school board 2024-01-26
- San Diego leader and California Senate President Pro Tem Toni Atkins kicked off her bid to become California's next governor, becoming the latest Democrat to join the 2026 race, The San Diego Union-Tribune reported. Atkins is ...
|NATIONAL Wis. report, gender dysphoria, HIV research, Stonewall exhibit, gay CEOs 2024-01-19
- A new annual report from Wisconsin's Office of Children's Mental Health shows that the state's minorsespecially girls, children of color and LGBTQ+ youthcontinue to struggle with anxiety, depression and thoughts ...
|Republican Ohio governor vetoes anti-trans youth bans in health and sports 2023-12-30
- After speaking with healthcare providers and the families of transgender children, Republican Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine vetoed an anti-LGBTQ+ measure that would have banned transgender youth from receiving gender-affirming care ...
|PASSAGES Paris Johnson 2023-12-29
- Paris Johnson, 29, of Chicago's West Loop neighborhood, passed away unexpectedly Nov. 28. He would have celebrated his 30th birthday Dec. 20. Born into a military family in Sacramento, California, Paris moved often in his youth, ...
|NATIONAL Women's college, banned books, military initiative, Oregon 2023-12-29
- After backlash regarding a decision to update its anti-discrimination policy and open enrollment to some transgender applicants, a Catholic women's college in Indiana will return to its previous admission policy, per The National Catholic Reporter. In ...
|NATIONAL Social Security, NBJC grants, Discord's policy, Sam Altman, Ohio deaths 2023-12-14
- A nonbinary former employee of the U.S. Social Security Administration, identified as "J. Doe," filed suit against the agency, claiming workplace misgendering forced them to resign, Philadelphia Gay News reported. Doe claims that constant misgendering at ...
|Wisconsin governor vetoes anti-trans youth healthcare ban 2023-12-08
- In an expected move, Democratic Wisconsin Gov. Tony Evers vetoed a bill that aimed to outlaw gender-affirming care for minors, CBS News reported. Evers has sworn to strike down any proposals from the GOP-controlled Wisconsin Legislature ...
|Bring Chicago Home: Guess who's saying no again 2023-12-04
Commentary by Bob Palmer and Mark Swartz - Chicago is ushering in an era of change with a new progressive mayor with a vision to invest in communities long ignored and a significant increase in like-minded city council members. We are excited to see ...
|NATIONAL Chuck Schumer, anti-marriage bill, drag event back on, military doctor
|Oklahoma non-binary student dies after being assaulted
|SHOWBIZ Kristen Stewart, Rock Hudson, Talia Keys, 'True Detective,' Marvel comic
|911 calls, videos show cascade of failures in Nex Benedict's death, GLAAD responds
|Howard Brown Health Names Robin Gay, DMD as Interim President and CEO