WINDY CITY TIMES
||UCAN holds open house for its LGBT home program
Special to the online edition of Windy City Times
by Terrence Chappell, Windy City Times
This article shared 3088 times since Wed Apr 27, 2011
Uhlich Children's Advantage Network (UCAN) welcomed guests and prospective foster parents to an April 20 open house to learn more about the organization's LGBTQ Host Home Program, additional youth outreach initiatives, and how they can help.
The LGBTQ Host Home Program is designed to identify and recruit adults who have an extra bedroom in their home to host an LGBTQ youth member. According to UCAN's website, the program is an alternative approach to shelters that provides a more stable temporary home for homeless youth ages 17-21, and labels the programs as a "permanent" transition from homelessness to independence. The program also aims to work with youth on their educational and vocational goals. Co-founder and associated director of the LGBTQ Host Home Program Bonnie Wade views the program as a great opportunity for young people who experience homelessness.
"We're trying to offer one more option for our young people who experience homelessness," said Wade.
UCAN volunteer and full-time Harold Washington College student Malaundja Gayles shared with guests her past story of struggle and personal experiences with homelessness. Unlike some shelters, Gayles believes that the program offers a friendlier, more comfortable atmosphere for growth. Gayles sees the LGBT Host Home Program as an intergenerational approach to combating homelessness that is mutually beneficial for both the participant and the host.
"The most unique aspect of this program is the sense of healing - the sense of learning and growth that you will get one on one in a family environment as opposed to living in an institutionalized setting. This program offers hope and opportunity to youth," said Gayles.
Youth enrolled in the program must be working full time and/or a full-time student. Qualified hosts must be at least 25 years old and have lived in Chicago for at least one year. They must also provide three references; complete a criminal background check, go through an initial interview and follow-up home interview; have an extra bedroom for the youth; possess renter/homeowner's insurance; and complete comprehensive training with an LGBT affirmative practice model. For more information about UCAN and the LGBTQ Host Home Program, visit www.ucanchicago.org .
This article shared 3088 times since Wed Apr 27, 2011
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|On Spirit Day, celebrities and others reach LGBTQ+ youth around the world 2021-10-22|
--From a press release. Video below - New York, NY, Friday, Oct. 22, 2021 - Yesterday, GLAAD celebrated Spirit Day, when participants around the world wear purple or go purple online in a united stand against bullying and show of support for LGBTQ ...
|NATIONAL Foster-parent case, stars speak out, Texas youth, 'Queer Eye,' HIV 2021-10-17|
- Americans United for Separation of Church and State and Lambda Legal, together with the law firm Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP, filed a federal lawsuit against the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), along ...
|Donations needed for LGBTQ+-affirming spiritual leader's recovery 2021-10-12|
- In July, Sofia G. Sarabia—an activist and community leader who provided spiritual counseling to LGBTQ+ youth and undocumented immigrants—suffered an unexpected stroke that injured her brain and left her immobile and unable to speak or eat. ...
|HRC marks National Coming Out Day with new resource for youth 2021-10-11|
- On Oct. 11, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) is commemorating the 33rd annual National Coming Out Day (NCOD) by announcing the release of a new resource, "Online Communities and LGBTQ+ Youth." "National Coming Out Day exists ...
|NATIONAL Victory Institute, LGBTQ books, youth items, NASA, LGBTQ Nation 2021-10-10|
- LGBTQ Victory Institute and nine additional candidate-training organizations announced a partnership with Snap Inc., the parent company of Snapchat, to provide a native-to-mobile tool to encourage young people to run for office, a press release noted. ...
|Texans protest anti-trans youth measures at capitol in Austin 2021-10-03|
- GLAAD and Equality Texas issued a release highlighting a week of protest at the Texas state capitol in Austinwhere measures targeting transgender children are being considered during the legislature's third special session of the year. Three ...
|Crystal Lake's Raue Center for the Arts opens new school 2021-09-27|
- On its 20th anniversary, the Crystal Lake, Illinois-based nonprofit organization Raue Center for the Arts has launched a new school. Raue Center School for the Arts (RCSA) will provide youth and adult classes in a wide ...
|Indiana students sue over gay-straight club's alleged treatment 2021-09-24|
- In Pendleton, Indiana, a group of Pendleton Heights High School students has filed a lawsuit against the school and South Madison Community School Corporation over allegations that the school has been treating its Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA) ...
|OPALGA+ Scholarship Gala taking place Oct. 23 2021-09-21|
- The 2021 OPALGA+ (Oak Park Area Lesbian & Gay Association+) Scholarship Gala will take place Saturday, Oct. 23, at Nineteenth Century Club, 178 Forest Ave., Oak Park. Cocktails will begin at 6 p.m., with the program/dinner ...
|[UPDATE] Lisle school offers job to lacrosse coach in same-sex marriage 2021-09-21|
- The administration at Lisle’s Benet Academy, a west suburban Catholic school, has reversed course and offered a job to a woman in a same-sex marriage after initially rescinding the offer, The Chicago Tribune reported. ...
|Students urged to apply for Musical Theatre Awards 2021-09-14|
- Broadway in Chicago is inviting high schools across Illinois to participate in the 11th Annual Illinois High School Musical Theatre Awards. These awards celebrate excellence in high school theater throughout the state. Beginning Thursday, Sept. 16, ...
|Virginia school district settles with Gavin Grimm 2021-08-28|
- A Virginia school district that discriminated against a transgender individual by making him go to the bathroom in a converted supply closet will have to pay $1.3 million in attorney's fees and other costs accrued over ...
|Report features eight Illinois child-welfare agencies working with HRC Foundation 2021-08-26|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON — Today, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Foundation, the educational arm of the nation's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+) civil rights organization, released a new report ...
|Campus Pride names one Illinois school to 'Best of the Best' list 2021-08-26|
- Campus Pride chose 30 schools this year for the 2021 Best of the Best LGBTQ-Friendly Colleges & Universities List. This list is based on the campuses overall ratings on the Campus Pride Index and specific LGBTQ-inclusive ...
|Indiana school district wrestles with Pride flag issue 2021-08-21|
- A Pride flag hanging in a middle-school classroom has caused an issue that could give rise to a new policy in Indiana's Bluffton-Harrison Metropolitan School District, WANE.com reported. District Superintendent Dr. Brad Yates wrote in a ...
|Legacy Walk plaques added for Pauli Murray, Matthew Shepard|
|Chicago Sky win their first WNBA championship|
|SHOWBIZ Superman, TheWrap, Oscar Wilde, Billy Porter, Cher, 'Dragula'|
|BOOKS Twelfth (and final) 'Boystown' cover revealed|
|NATIONAL Foster-parent case, stars speak out, Texas youth, 'Queer Eye,' HIV|