WINDY CITY TIMES
by Mary Shen Barnidge
This article shared 2775 times since Wed Apr 11, 2012
Playwright: Arthur M. Jolly. At: Babes with Blades Theatre Company at the Side Project, 1439 W. Jarvis Ave. Tickets: 773-904-0391; www.babeswithblades.org; $20. Runs through: May 5
When the Babes with Blades (BWB) stage combat troupe launched its Joining Sword and Pen competition in 2005, skeptical audiences anticipated wholesome girlish romps on the order of the March sisters' Christmas pageant. No one suspected that six years later, the contest prize would go to a grim psychological drama (recently named a semifinalist at the Eugene O'Neill Theatre Center's National Playwrights Conference) with almost no fights in it at all.
Sword & Pen's agenda proposes a play written around a specified visual image of females waging battle against one anotherin this instance, an eerily grotesque painting by Victoria Szilagyi depicting two young women grappling amid the squalor of a moonlit municipal junkyard. Arthur M. Jolly's interpretation of this enigmatic scene invokes a pair of long-estranged siblings reunited at their mother's funeral. Becky, perversely clad for the occasion in a red dress, is the prodigal who fled home for a drifter's unstable life. Diane is the virtuous daughter who postponed her own career to care for their ailing parent. Just before dying, we learn, this matriarch mailed a letter to her long-lost offspring. The embittered Becky discarded it, unopened, spurring the search through piles of rotting debris.
The metaphor of objects abandoned and forgotten by their owners is not lost on the excavators. Gradually, it emerges that Mama Dearestwhether due to illness or natural bad temperwas an abusive harpy in her final years, selfishly exacerbating sororal rivalries so that Becky, now struggling to make a new start, suffers under the guilt heaped upon her by the resentful Diane. While sometimes erupting into the physical violence born of childhood squabbles, now escalated to homicidal proportions with the ready availability of potentially lethal weapons, the conflict is mostly expressed verbally, progressing through layers of self-discovery as nightfall and the bulldozers draw ever nearer.
Sustaining this level of emotional intensity in the Side Project's close quarters over 80 minutes of wrestling with mountains of slippery detritusreplicated by the technical team with an accuracy to discourage the tactually curiousdemands a degree of stamina. Said stamina led to the double-casting of the show, Jennifer L. Mickelson and Elizabeth MacDougald, under the direction of Delia Ford, alternating in repertory with Alison Dornheggen and Megan Schemmel, the latter of whom (on the night that I attended) delivered riveting, inseverably connected performances to elevate the BWB company to the artistic legitimacy too long denied it by purists.
This article shared 2775 times since Wed Apr 11, 2012
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|THEATER Nelson Rodriguez talks boxing, queerness and his very personal play 2023-12-03|
- On Saturday, Dec. 9 at the Chicago Cultural Center, there will be a reading of New Personalidada play by actor, playwright and former Windy City Times 30 Under 30 honoree Nelson Rodriguez. The program, part of ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Bodyshop,' Beyonce, Ani DiFranco, Billie Jean King 2023-12-01|
- The Breaking Glass Pictures film Bodyshop will be out on digital on Dec. 5, per a press release. The plot is described thusly: "The ghost of a young soldier sexually assaulted by his lieutenant says goodbye ...
|PERFORMANCE Teatro Zinzanni's Carisa Hendrix talks magic, queerness and Canada 2023-11-28|
- One could call Teatro Zinzanni's newest production, "Love, Chaos, and Dinner," a meal and a show—but that would definitely shortchange this ongoing extravaganza. Taking place at the Loop's Cambria Hotel, there is not a bad seat ...
|'Sleeping with Beauty' serves up naughty holiday laughs 2023-11-27|
- Seasonal British pantomimes have been securing the talents of such known performers as Henry Winkler, George Takei and Sir Ian McKellen for decades now. This inventive recounting of fairy tales, utilizing popular song, comedy and rowdy ...
|Jerry Mitchell bops into Boop! 2023-11-27|
- Director and choreographer Jerry Mitchell is bringing black-and-white Boop! The Betty Boop Musical into a world of color at the CIBC Theatre this winter. It's a pre-Broadway world premiere for the musical starring Jasmine Amy Rogers ...
|Hell in a Handbag to present 'Peep Show: The Handbag 2023 Benefit'on Dec. 10 2023-11-25|
--From a press release - CHICAGOHell in a Handbag Productions will present its 2023 benefit: Peep Showa peep through the curtains at the company's 2024 seasonon Sunday, Dec. 10, 11:30 a.m. — 3:30 p.m. at The Center on Halsted's The Hoover-Leppen ...
|Sarah Siddons to produce 'Noor Inayat Khan: The Forgotten Spy' 2023-11-22|
- In a first for the 71-year-old Sarah Siddons Society, it will produce a one-night performance of Noor Inayat Khan: The Forgotten Spy—a new one-woman play written and performed by Almanya Narula, a 2016 Siddons Scholarship recipient ...
|YEPP 'rises' to occasion at fall fundraiser 2023-11-20|
- Members and guests of Youth Empowerment Performance Project (YEPP) gathered Nov. 17 at Chicago Theater Works, 1113 W. Belmont Ave., for the organization's fall fundraiser, Rise Up: Our Celebration of Resistance. The evening marked both the ...
|WORLD Latvia, nonbinary magistrate, Gay Games end, Israel soldiers 2023-11-17|
- Latvia's parliament voted to allow same-sex couples to establish civil unions, Reuters reported. Said couples now have legal recognitionbut fewer rights than married couples. The new legislation, slated to take effect in the middle of next ...
|THEATER Queer actor Chloe Baldwin talks 'POTUS,' identity and Shakespeare 2023-11-15|
- In the Steppenwolf farce POTUS: Or, Behind Every Great Dumbass Are Seven Women Trying to Keep Him Alive, queer actor Chloe Baldwin portrays the president's mistress Dusty, acting alongside a formidable group that includes Caroline Neff ...
|'Jersey Boys' stars reunite as Midtown Men on Dec. 2 in Glen Ellyn 2023-11-14|
- The original stars of the Broadway hit Jersey BoysChristian Hoff, Michael Longoria, Daniel Reichard and J. Robert Spencerwill reunite as Midtown Men on Saturday, Dec. 2, at 7:30 p.m. at McAninch Arts Center's Belushi Performance Hall ...
|Hell in a Handbag Productions presents world premiere of The Golden Girls Save Xmas, A Lost Episodes Parody 2023-11-12|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (November 10, 2023) — Hell in a Handbag Productions is pleased to kick off its 2023/24 season this November with The Golden Girls Save Xmas — A Lost Episodes Parody, featuring an all-new holiday tale ...
|SHOWBIZ Kaytranada, NFL star, Alexandra Billings, video game, George Michael 2023-11-10|
- Out Montreal DJ/producer Kaytranada teased his latest single, "Out of Luck," with Mariah the Scientist, on Twitter, Complex noted. "THIS IS THE ANTHEM!" Kaytra wrote in his quote-tweet of the song playing at a release party. ...
|Charles Busch dishes on life as a storyteller 2023-11-09|
- Performer/writer Charles Busch, who recently penned his autobiography, Leading Lady: A Memoir of a Most Unusual Boy, said that collecting his most precious and salient memories in a book felt "inevitable." "Storytelling is such an essential ...
|Black Excellence Awards winners named, inaugural Chicago Black Arts Hall of Fame inductees honored 2023-11-08|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (Nov. 7, 2023)—The nonprofit Black Arts & Culture Alliance of Chicago is proud to announce the winners of its 23rd Annual Black Excellence Awards, honored last night in a festive celebration at Black Ensemble Theater. ...