WINDY CITY TIMES
||Transgender Pharmacist Prevails in Colorado
This article shared 4174 times since Wed Jun 1, 2005
The Colorado Legal Initiatives Project ( CLIP ) announced that Kim Dower has successfully concluded her transgender employment discrimination case against retailer King Soopers, which is part of the Kroger family of stores. CLIP has notified the Denver Anti-Discrimination Office and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission that Dower has withdrawn her administrative charges of discrimination. The company is now allowing her to dress in her chosen gender in the workplace for the first time.
Dower is a pharmacist employed at a King Soopers store in Denver. She filed the charges in July 2004 after King Soopers told her she would not be allowed into the workplace dressed as a woman. ( Dower initially informed her supervisor in March 2004 that she wanted to begin dressing as a woman. ) In March 2005, the Denver Anti-Discrimination Office issued an administrative finding, called a 'determination of probable cause,' that King Soopers unlawfully discriminated against Dower because she is a transsexual. The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission has not issued a ruling in the case.
CLIP cooperating attorney Betty Tsamis, who represented Dower pro bono in the case, expressed her relief that the office sided with Dower. Tsamis, a Chicago native, told Windy City Times that she and the rest of Dower's legal team are 'very pleased and [ that ] Kim is moving along with the transition process.'
This article shared 4174 times since Wed Jun 1, 2005
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Pritzker Military Museum, Library to screen TransMilitary doc, Q&A with special guests 2021-09-28|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, IL (September 27, 2021) On Thursday, Sept. 30, at 5:30 p.m., the Pritzker Military Museum & Library will host the screening of the 2018 SXSW Audience Award Winner for Best Documentary TransMilitary. The program will ...
|SHOWBIZ Transgender Talent, celebrity deaths, film festival, Whitney Houston 2021-09-26|
- Transgender Talent—the trans-owned and operated management and production company—is looking to help Hollywood get better at portraying transgender and non-binary characters on screen with the launch of a new consulting ...
|THEATER Ex-'Jagged Little Pill' performers accuse production of anti-TGNC behavior 2021-09-24|
- Two former cast members of Broadway's Jagged Little Pillincluding Tony-nominated featured actress Celia Rose Goodingreleased statements accusing the production of committing "harm to the trans and non-binary community, both onstage ...
|Trans woman D'isaya Dior Monaee Smith, a victim of violence, dies 2021-09-24|
- D'isaya Dior Monaee Smith was shot and killed Sept. 6 at the Prestige Motel in Dolton, Illinois. She was 27. A Human Rights Campaign report showed that, in 2020, a record 44 transgender, nonbinary or gender-nonconforming ...
|Brittany Devon meets a 'Platonic Girlfriend' 2021-09-15|
- Queer, genderfluid actor Brittany Devon has created a brand new project to explore with Platonic Girlfriend. It is the story of a relationship between straight woman Alice and a queer, nonbinary person named Dev. Devon stars ...
|Gov. Pritzker signs transformative energy legislation for Illinois 2021-09-15|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Delivering on principles previously laid out, Governor JB Pritzker signed landmark legislation into law that puts the state on a path toward 100% clean energy, invests in training a diverse workforce for the jobs ...
|AstonRep Theatre Company announces 2021-22 season: 2021-09-13|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (Sept. 13, 2021) — AstonRep Theatre Company is pleased to welcome back live audiences this fall, kicking off with a revival of Yasmina Reza's frenetic dark comedy God of Carnage, translated by Christopher Hampton and ...
|NATIONAL Teachers, GLAAD talks HRC, 9/11 items, Dr. Rachel Levine 2021-09-12|
- In North Carolina, a former teacher won a lawsuit against Charlotte Catholic High School and the Roman Catholic Diocese of Charlotte after he lost his job following an announcement on Facebook that he planned to marry ...
|WORLD False report, Indian activist dies, fashion exhibit, LGBT Awards 2021-09-12|
- In Spain, a man who claimed eight hooded men carved an anti-gay slur on his butt using a knife in a horrific hate crime later said the act was consensual, according to out.com. According to police ...
|Dutch study: Transgender people face twice the odds for early deaths 2021-09-08|
- A long-term Dutch study revealed that transgender people have double the odds of dying early compared to folks whose identity matches the sex they were assigned at birth (cisgender), according to the U.S. News & World ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Idol' alums, Zendaya, Gaga, 'Queer As Folk,' women rappers 2021-09-05|
- American Idol alum David Archuleta said that God urged him to come out as a member of the LGBTQ+ community, NBC News noted. The Nashville resident told Today.com he wasn't sure if the community would embrace ...
|WORLD Anti-TGNC vote, #VeryGayRaptor, Brazilian governor, Scottish poll 2021-09-05|
- In Australia, the government voted down workplace protections for transgender, non-binary and intersex people, OutInPerth.com reported. The senate was considering the Sex Discrimination and Fair Work (Respect at Work) Amendment ...
|MUSIC Laura Jane Grace gives good advice to future trans and queer artists 2021-09-04|
- For one hour and 48 minutes, Laura Jane Grace will take listeners on a journey with the new Audible project Black Me Out. This transgender musician covers a great deal of territory in the session, from ...
|Get Out! LGBTQ travelers show how to travel safely this fall 2021-09-01|
By Ed Salvato, courtesy of the National LGBT Media Association - Just when we thought it was safe to hit the road, we were walloped by the Delta variant, the latest plot twist in the 18-month-and-counting pandemic story. The surprising data that fully vaccinated people could transmit ...
|Gender-affirming care associated with lower suicide risk for transgender people 2021-09-01|
--From a Williams Institute press release - A summary of current data on suicide risk and prevention among transgender people in recognition of Suicide Prevention Month Transgender people who need and receive gender-affirming medical care have a lower prevalence of suicide thoughts and ...