WINDY CITY TIMES
||Transgender Day of Remembrance Vigil in Milwaukee Nov. 22
This article shared 3265 times since Thu Nov 21, 2013
Every November, communities across the world join together to mark the Transgender Day of Remembrance with vigils, marches, candles, speeches, prayers, and moments of silence. Milwaukee's Transgender Day of Remembrance - held on Friday, Nov. 22, 2013 ( starting at 6:30pm ) at the Milwaukee LGBT Community Center - will involve all of those components. . . . AND words from members of our community.
Transgender Day of Remembrance Vigil
Friday, November 22, 2013, 6:30pm
Milwaukee LGBT Community Center
1110 N. Market Street, 2nd floor ( Community Room )
Milwaukee, WI 53202
Trans* and SOFFA ( Significant Others, Friends, Family and Allies ) lives are frequently touched by anti-trans violence, bias, and hate. Some have directly experienced physical, emotional, and/or spiritual harm. Some move through the world fearing what might happen. Some have witnessed the short and long term effects that anti-trans bias and violence has on our friends, our family, and our community. Trans* and SOFFA individuals also embody enormous quantities of strength, creativity and resilience, often thriving even after experiencing hardship, pain, and challenge.
Join with FORGE - and with the Milwaukee community - your reflections on, theories about, or constructs around the Transgender Day of Remembrance; how anti-trans* bias impacts ( impacted ) your life; how communities are affected when violence occurs. . . . . .
This article shared 3265 times since Thu Nov 21, 2013
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Brittany Devon meets a 'Platonic Girlfriend' 2021-09-15|
- Queer, genderfluid actor Brittany Devon has created a brand new project to explore with Platonic Girlfriend. It is the story of a relationship between straight woman Alice and a queer, nonbinary person named Dev. Devon stars ...
|Gov. Pritzker signs transformative energy legislation for Illinois 2021-09-15|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Delivering on principles previously laid out, Governor JB Pritzker signed landmark legislation into law that puts the state on a path toward 100% clean energy, invests in training a diverse workforce for the jobs ...
|AstonRep Theatre Company announces 2021-22 season: 2021-09-13|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (Sept. 13, 2021) — AstonRep Theatre Company is pleased to welcome back live audiences this fall, kicking off with a revival of Yasmina Reza's frenetic dark comedy God of Carnage, translated by Christopher Hampton and ...
|NATIONAL Teachers, GLAAD talks HRC, 9/11 items, Dr. Rachel Levine 2021-09-12|
- In North Carolina, a former teacher won a lawsuit against Charlotte Catholic High School and the Roman Catholic Diocese of Charlotte after he lost his job following an announcement on Facebook that he planned to marry ...
|WORLD False report, Indian activist dies, fashion exhibit, LGBT Awards 2021-09-12|
- In Spain, a man who claimed eight hooded men carved an anti-gay slur on his butt using a knife in a horrific hate crime later said the act was consensual, according to out.com. According to police ...
|Dutch study: Transgender people face twice the odds for early deaths 2021-09-08|
- A long-term Dutch study revealed that transgender people have double the odds of dying early compared to folks whose identity matches the sex they were assigned at birth (cisgender), according to the U.S. News & World ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Idol' alums, Zendaya, Gaga, 'Queer As Folk,' women rappers 2021-09-05|
- American Idol alum David Archuleta said that God urged him to come out as a member of the LGBTQ+ community, NBC News noted. The Nashville resident told Today.com he wasn't sure if the community would embrace ...
|WORLD Anti-TGNC vote, #VeryGayRaptor, Brazilian governor, Scottish poll 2021-09-05|
- In Australia, the government voted down workplace protections for transgender, non-binary and intersex people, OutInPerth.com reported. The senate was considering the Sex Discrimination and Fair Work (Respect at Work) Amendment ...
|MUSIC Laura Jane Grace gives good advice to future trans and queer artists 2021-09-04|
- For one hour and 48 minutes, Laura Jane Grace will take listeners on a journey with the new Audible project Black Me Out. This transgender musician covers a great deal of territory in the session, from ...
|Get Out! LGBTQ travelers show how to travel safely this fall 2021-09-01|
By Ed Salvato, courtesy of the National LGBT Media Association - Just when we thought it was safe to hit the road, we were walloped by the Delta variant, the latest plot twist in the 18-month-and-counting pandemic story. The surprising data that fully vaccinated people could transmit ...
|Gender-affirming care associated with lower suicide risk for transgender people 2021-09-01|
--From a Williams Institute press release - A summary of current data on suicide risk and prevention among transgender people in recognition of Suicide Prevention Month Transgender people who need and receive gender-affirming medical care have a lower prevalence of suicide thoughts and ...
|NATIONAL Marsha P. Johnson, Utah, five-year study, Pride fests cancelled 2021-08-29|
- In New York City, visitors to Christopher Park have been greeted by the bust of the late trans activist Marsha P. Johnson, ActionNewsNow.com reported. The bust was erected on what would have been Jonhson's 76th birthdayand ...
|Virginia school district settles with Gavin Grimm 2021-08-28|
- A Virginia school district that discriminated against a transgender individual by making him go to the bathroom in a converted supply closet will have to pay $1.3 million in attorney's fees and other costs accrued over ...
|Report features eight Illinois child-welfare agencies working with HRC Foundation 2021-08-26|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON — Today, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Foundation, the educational arm of the nation's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+) civil rights organization, released a new report ...
|Trans woman and cancer survivor makes her debut at SEA BLUE Prostate Cancer Walk & Run 2021-08-23|
- Among all the men, Iris Farley—a prostate cancer survivor and trans womanwill be running in Us TOO's SEA Blue Prostate Cancer Walk & Run on Sept. 26 in Lincoln Park. Farley, a Chicago resident, is the ...