WINDY CITY TIMES
||Trans residents sue Wisconsin over surgeries
This article shared 472 times since Wed May 2, 2018
In Wisconsin, two transgender residentsCody Flack and Sara Ann Makenzieare suing the state's health department, alleging discrimination because the state's Medicaid program does not cover their desired gender-reassignment surgery, The Hill reported.
Flack, a transgender man, and Makenzie, a transgender woman, are battling a 1997 Wisconsin regulation that bans the state's Medicaid program from covering what it refers to as "transsexual surgery."
The plaintiffs say the regulation "flies in the face" of what medical authorities say about gender dysphoriathe "clinically significant distress associated with having a gender identity ... that conflicts with the sex one was assigned at birth."
The Hill article is at thehill.com/policy/healthcare/385542-transgender-patients-sue-wisconsin-for-denying-coverage-of-gender .
This article shared 472 times since Wed May 2, 2018
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Iowa, Georgia ban medical treatment for trans minors 2023-03-24|
- Two more states have enacted laws that prohibit medical treatment for transgender minors. On March 22, Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds signed two bills into law that affect transgender minors in the state, NBC News reported. Senate ...
|World Athletics Council: Trans women banned from track-and-field competition 2023-03-24|
- The World Athletics Council has barred transgender women from competing in elite female competitions if they have gone through male puberty, ESPN reported. Organization president Sebastian Coe said at a press conference that the decision was ...
|Mayoral candidate forum centers BIPOC LGBTQ+ issues, Vallas declines to participate 2023-03-23|
- Chicago mayoral candidate Brandon Johnson participated in a March 22 virtual LGBTQ+-focused forum co-hosted by Affinity Community Services (Affinity), Association of Latinos/as/xs Motivating Action (ALMA) Chicago ...
|US Bishops' statement limits trans health care in Catholic health care facilities, DignityUSA responds 2023-03-22|
--From a DignityUSA press release - On March 20, 2023, the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops' Committee on Doctrine released a policy statement on how Catholic medical institutions should treat transgender and nonbinary people. Entitled "Doctrinal Note on the Moral Limits to ...
|Kentucky lawmakers pass anti-trans youth bill; governor plans to veto measure 2023-03-20|
- In Kentucky, Republican lawmakers passed a bill that bans minors from receiving gender-affirming care, lets educators refuse to refer to trans students by their preferred pronouns and would not allow schools to discuss sexual orientation or ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Black Adam,' Cyndi Lauper, Sondheim, Oscars, OutFest 2023-03-18|
- Cultured Magazine recently profiled Quintessa Swindellwho became the first out, non-binary actor to play a lead superhero in the DC universe when they portrayed Cyclone in the 2022 movie Black Adam. Swindell grew up in Virginia ...
|WORLD German bishops, trans woman's death, Hungary, human-rights event 2023-03-18|
- Germany's Catholic bishops voted (38 to nine, with 11 abstentions) to adopt formal ceremonies for the blessing of same-sex relationships, defying the Vatican and testing church unity on what has become one of the most contentious ...
|Opera Preview: Life of gay World War II hero Alan Turing transformed into a world-premiere opera 2023-03-17|
- It has taken a decade for The Life and Death(s) of Alan Turing to grow from an idea into a full- fledged opera. Chicago Opera Theater stages the world premiere of composer Justine F. Chen and ...
|Arkansas governor signs anti-trans medical malpractice bill 2023-03-15|
- Republican Arkansas Gov. Sarah Huckabee Sanders signed into law a measure that makes it easier to sue providers of gender-affirming care for children, ABC News reported. This move, involving a law that will take effect this ...
|Editorial: In praise of Drag Story Hour 2023-03-14|
- Drag Story Hours have really come to the fore in our political consciousness in the last few years, as the radical right has strategically targeted events raising the visibility of individuals who are gender-nonconforming, transgender or ...
|TransLash Media CEO Imara Jones reflects on JK Rowling and 'Hogwarts Legacy' 2023-03-11|
- The action role-playing game Hogwarts Legacy has been making big news lately—and it's not just because so many people are playing it. Hogwarts Legacy, inspired by writer J.K. Rowling's wizarding ...
|SHOWBIZ Little Richard, Indigo Girls, Rodriguez's honor, dance film, Pedro Pascal 2023-03-10|
Video below - Produced by Bungalow Media + Entertainment for CNN Films and HBO Max, in association with Rolling Stone Films, director Lisa Cortes' Sundance opening-night documentary Little Richard: I Am Everything will debut in theaters and on VOD ...
|WORLD Zero Discrimination Day, African countries, facility damaged, travel items 2023-03-10|
- On Zero Discrimination Day this year (March 1), under the theme "Save lives: Decriminalize," UNAIDS showed how the decriminalization of key populations and people living with HIV saves lives and helps advance the end of the ...
|Minn. governor signs order protecting gender-affirming healthcare 2023-03-10|
- At a time when so many political officials seem to be backing anti-LGBTQ+ measures, Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz is doing just the opposite. On March 8, Walz signed an executive order protecting the rights of LGBTQ+ ...
|Study examines straight men and their sexual attraction to transgender women 2023-03-09|
--From a press release - An analysis of online Reddit conversations also revealed a paradox: the same men devalue both trans and cisgender women Some straight men said they sexually desire transgender women because of the women's supposed hyper-feminine traits. Brandon ...