WINDY CITY TIMES
||Trans activist launches Gender Proud campaign
This article shared 3433 times since Wed Apr 2, 2014
To coincide with the celebration of International Transgender Day of Visibility, activist/ model Geena Rocero launched her new global- awareness campaign, Gender Proud, which calls attention to the fact that there are only a few countries where transgender individuals are able to change their gender marker without having to first undergo surgery.
In addition, Rocero's talk ( Technology, Entertainment and Design ) went live on March 31. Her talk marked the first time that TED has tackled transgender rights issues on the main stage.
As it launched, Gender Proud initiated a petition on Change.org that seeks to bring awareness to the issue at a broader level; simultaneously, an IndieGogo campaign will raise money.
This article shared 3433 times since Wed Apr 2, 2014
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|WORLD Queer teen dies, trans activist honored, HIV drugs, mpox, British lesbian 2023-12-01|
- In India, queer makeup artist Pranshu reportedly died by suicide—at age 16—after being subjected to relentless attacks online, PinkNews noted. On social media, LGBTQIA+-rights advocacy collective Yes, We Exist claimed ...
|'She was here...and she is here': Street to be renamed after Elise Malary 2023-11-30|
By Alec Karam - The memory of the late activist Elise Malary will soon become a permanent part of Andersonville's Catalpa Avenue. The renamed "Elise Malary Way" will encompass the Catalpa Plaza area, a planned pedestrian plaza between Ashland Avenue ...
|Martina Navratilova continues anti-trans comments 2023-11-30|
- Lesbian tennis legend Martina Navratilova has been in the news lately for anti-trans comments, although she has been making them for quite some time. She recently sparked controversy with her remarks on a tribute by UK ...
|Fla. students walk out after school board's anti-trans actions 2023-11-29|
- In Florida, hundreds of students at Coconut Creek's Monarch High School held a walkout on Nov. 28 after their principal and several other school officials were reportedly reassigned over a transgender student's participation on the girls ...
|Pope Francis's community of transwomen 2023-11-28|
- It's a rare opportunity to meet the pope. It's even rarer if you're a transgender Catholic. However, on Nov. 19, in Torvaianica, Italy, a community of transwomen, many of them sex workers, were welcomed and seated ...
|Trans women banned from playing cricket 2023-11-24|
- Transgender women have been barred from playing in international women's matches under a new policy from the International Cricket Council (ICC), the BBC reported. Any player who has gone through male puberty will not be eligible ...
|NATIONAL Trevor Project, anti-trans crimes, priest sentenced, hate-crimes unit 2023-11-24|
- The Trevor Project announced the extension of its partnership with the 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline, reaffirming its commitment to providing specialized assistance to LGBTQ+ people who call 9-8-8, The Advocate reported. Interim Senior Vice President ...
|YEPP 'rises' to occasion at fall fundraiser 2023-11-20|
- Members and guests of Youth Empowerment Performance Project (YEPP) gathered Nov. 17 at Chicago Theater Works, 1113 W. Belmont Ave., for the organization's fall fundraiser, Rise Up: Our Celebration of Resistance. The evening marked both the ...
|Chicagoans gather to mark the 2023 Trans Day of Remembrance 2023-11-20|
- Brave Space Alliance, Chicago Therapy Collective and Life is Work joined forces to celebrate Trans Day of Remembrance under the banner New Era Together Nov. 19 at Venue West, 221 N. Paulina St., on the West ...
|Scotland announces five-year plan to help nonbinary people 2023-11-20|
- Scotland's government has announced a five-year action plan to improve the lives of non-binary people, Yahoo! News reported. Among other things, the first-of-its-kind plan in the UK (and, quite possibly, in the world) includes actions to ...
|PASSAGES: Mexico's first out nonbinary magistrate Jesus Ociel Baena Saucedo 2023-11-19|
- On Nov. 13, Mexico's first out nonbinary magistrate and LGBTQ+ activist Jesus Ociel Baena Saucedo was found dead in their state of Aguascalientes home alongside their partner Dorian Herrera. They were 38. According to state prosecutor ...
|Illinois attorney general part of effort against Oklahoma anti-trans youth law 2023-11-16|
--From a press release - Chicago — Illinois Attorney General Kwame Raoul is opposing a state law in Oklahoma that severely limits the ability of transgender youth to access critical, lifesaving gender-affirming care. Raoul, along with a coalition of attorneys general, ...
|LGBTQ+ organizations to host Transgender Day of Remembrance: A New Era Together 2.0 2023-11-16|
--From a press release - Chicago, IL — On Sunday, Nov. 11, Brave Space Alliance, Chicago Therapy Collective, and Life is Work will host Transgender Day of Remembrance: A New Era Together 2.0, an event dedicated to honoring the memory of ...
|HRC's 2023 survey of cities, towns shows record support for LGBTQ+ residents; Chicago scores 100 2023-11-16|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON—Te Human Rights Campaign Foundation (HRC), in partnership with the Equality Federation, an advocacy accelerator rooted in social justice that builds power in a network of state-based LGBTQ+ advocacy organizations ...
|Rainbow Wave: 238 LGBTQ+ candidates win public office in 2023, all time high for an odd year election 2023-11-14|
--From a press release - Washington, DC — 238 out LGBTQ+ candidates have won elections in 2023, as of 3 p.m. ET, surpassing the record 185 who won in 2021 — the last odd-year election. LGBTQ+ Victory Fund is awaiting final ...