EN LA VIDA
This article shared 5595 times since Sun Jun 1, 2003
The National Latina/o Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Organization issued a statement saying they are 'deeply saddened by the murder in New Haven, Conn., of Jessica, legally known as Horacio Mercado. The victim was found in Mercado's burning apartment, which police say may have been set ablaze to cover up the crime. A stab wound in the neck has been ruled as the cause of death.'
No arrests have been made.
'This murder is another example of the violence that members of the Latina/o LGBT community face, often for simply being who we are,' said Martin Ornelas-Quintero, LLEGĂ" Executive Director. Dozens of reported murders of transgenders have occurred in the U.S. during the last 18 months.
Under anonymity, community members have informed LLEGĂ" that transgenders who knew Jessica are upset and frightened. Many feel unsafe going out, and tenants from Jessica's building are considering relocating. Fear of retaliation is a factor.
Connecticut does not have hate-crime penalties for attacks based on gender identity. Only seven states, along with the District of Columbia, include gender identity along with sexual orientation in their hate-crimes laws: California, Minnesota, Missouri, Vermont, Hawaii, New Mexico, and Pennsylvania.
Current federal law does not include sexual orientation or gender identity under hate crimes laws. The 32-year-old federal criminal statute used to prosecute hate crimes only covers crimes based on race, religion, and national origin. The FBI does not track bias crimes based on gender identity or expression.
This article shared 5595 times since Sun Jun 1, 2003
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Brittney Griner appealing conviction 2022-08-16|
- Russian news agencies have reported that attorneys for U.S. basketball star Brittney Griner have filed an appeal of her nine-year Russian prison sentence for drug possession, according to PBS Newshour. Griner, an eight-time all-star center with ...
|Three men hit by car and killed near Jeffery Pub; car found, but not driver [UPDATES] 2022-08-14|
- Three men were killed and another was injured after a hit-and-run crash in the city's South Shore neighborhood. Authorities said the crash happened around 5 a.m. on Aug. 14 in the 7000 block of S. Jeffery ...
|Judge: Kevin Spacey owes almost $31 million 2022-08-04|
- On Aug. 4, Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Mel Red Recana confirmed that embattled actor Kevin Spacey must pay House of Cards producer MRC nearly $31 million for alleged sexual misconduct behind the scenes of the ...
|Committee makes recommendations for expanded court service for Cook County domestic-violence victims 2022-07-29|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO (July 29, 2022) â€” The Circuit Court of Cook County Committee on Domestic Violence Court has developed a plan to improve court access to help domestic violence victims, which will include an after-hours pilot program ...
|GoFundMe page for UpRising Bakery raises thousands of dollars 2022-07-25|
- A GoFundMe page for Lake in the Hills venue UpRising Bakery and Cafeâ€”an LGBTQ+-owned site that was the subject of protests and vandalism after planning to host a family-friendly drag show that was later canceledâ€”has raised ...
|Man arrested for vandalism of LGBTQ+-owned suburban bakery 2022-07-24|
- Authorities in Lake in the Hills, a suburb of Chicago, have made an arrest in the case of the vandalism of a bakery that had to cancel an all-ages drag show because of the crime, ABC 7 Chicago reported. Joseph I. ...
|NATIONAL Miami textbooks, Lia Thomas, Florida churches, Key West figure dies 2022-07-24|
- Miami-Dade County students could go months without sex-education books after school board members, by a five-to-four vote, rejected two proposed textbooks over concerns they violate the state's Parental Rights in Education bill, known by opponents as ...
|Man indicted for attacking men in D.C. for their sexual orientation 2022-07-15|
- A federal grand jury returned an indictment charging Michael Thomas Pruden, 48, with five counts of assault on federal land, one count of impersonating a federal officer and a hate-crimes sentencing enhancement alleging that Pruden assaulted ...
|More than 500 women sue Uber over claims of sexual assault 2022-07-14|
- Uber is being sued by more than 500 women who claim they were assaulted by drivers who use the ride-hailing platform, CNBC reported. The complaintfiled in San Francisco County Superior Courtclaims that "women passengers in multiple ...
|Kevin Spacey pleads not guilty in London in sexual-assault case 2022-07-14|
- On July 14, two-time Oscar-winning actor Kevin Spacey pled not guilty of sexual assault in London's Central Criminal Court, according to WAGM-TV. The former House of Cards star, who ran London's Old Vic theater between 2004 ...
|Reports: Chicago trans woman murdered in West Englewood neighborhood 2022-07-13|
- A Chicago trans woman was attacked and died the late evening of July 11/early morning of July 12, according to reports. An individual was found with multiple stab wounds after Chicago Police Department (CPD) answered a ...
|John Pennycuff's memorial library at Unity Park is graffitied 2022-07-10|
- The John Pennycuff Little Library, at Chicago's Unity Park, was recently sprayed with graffiti. Robert Castillo, Pennycuff's surviving husband, stated on Facebook that some tried to cover the original tagging with their own rainbow-hued graffiti. ...
|Former Japanese prime minister dies after being shot 2022-07-08|
- Former Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe died on July 8 after being shot while giving a campaign speech on a street in central Japan, CNN reported, citing public broadcaster NHK. Japanese publication Nikkei also reported that ...
|'Cheer' star receives prison sentence 2022-07-07|
- On July 6, Jerry Harris, the former star of hit Netflix docuseries Cheer, has been sentenced to 12 years in federal prison for child pornography soliciting sex from minors, Variety noted, citing USA Today. Harris, 22, ...
|Jeffrey Epstein cohort Ghislaine Maxwell sentenced to 20 years 2022-06-28|
- On June 28, Ghislaine Maxwell was sentenced to 20 years in federal prison for carrying out a years-long scheme with her longtime confidante (and former boyfriend) Jeffrey Epstein to groom and sexually abuse underage girls, media ...