||Tony and Sherri Movin' on Up
This article shared 2418 times since Sun Aug 1, 2004
Sherri Jackson, a community activist and contributing editor to Identity (formerly Blacklines) is leaving Chicago. Sherri will be moving to Richmond, Va., to pursue a Masters of Divinity at Samuel DeWitt Proctor School of Theology at Virginia Union University. Sherri volunteered with many organizations while in Chicago. She was a steering committee member and officer with Chicago Black Lesbians and Gays; board of directors, Horizons Community Services/Center on Halsted and Lesbian Community Cancer Project; and an action political coordinator with Human Rights Campaign where she worked on LBGT issues closely with Congressman Luis V. Gutierrez. Since 2001 she has volunteered with United Church Of Christ on LBGT issues, homophobia in the African American community and with social justice issues around worker, voter, and Caribbean-Latin issues. She was a mentor for youth and tutored literature to high school students.
'This is indeed a great time to be a part of the change happening around religion and LBGT issues. I will truly miss Chicago and the host of individuals I have worked with and be-friended. I hope one day to return to Chicago, but I am going with the flow wherever my future journey takes me. I thank you all for your friendship, love, mentorship, and shared wisdom,' Jackson said.
Meanwhile, youth activist Tony Alvarado-Rivera is moving to New York City for a position working with the Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network in New York as their Student Club and Leadership Specialist. Most recently, Tony has worked with the About Face Theatre Youth Project. Tony has been a Windy City Times 30 Under 30 honoree every year since the awards were first established. He has also written for Identity.
This article shared 2418 times since Sun Aug 1, 2004
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Illinois high schoolers distribute anti-LGBTQ+ survey 2021-10-23|
- At Anna-Jonesboro Community High School in Anna, Illinois, a student group calling itself the "Anti-Queer Association" distributed a survey asking others if they think "queers" should be allowed to use the school restroom with "normal people," ...
|On Spirit Day, celebrities and others reach LGBTQ+ youth around the world 2021-10-22|
--From a press release. Video below - New York, NY, Friday, Oct. 22, 2021 - Yesterday, GLAAD celebrated Spirit Day, when participants around the world wear purple or go purple online in a united stand against bullying and show of support for LGBTQ ...
|NATIONAL Foster-parent case, stars speak out, Texas youth, 'Queer Eye,' HIV 2021-10-17|
- Americans United for Separation of Church and State and Lambda Legal, together with the law firm Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP, filed a federal lawsuit against the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), along ...
|Donations needed for LGBTQ+-affirming spiritual leader's recovery 2021-10-12|
- In July, Sofia G. Sarabia—an activist and community leader who provided spiritual counseling to LGBTQ+ youth and undocumented immigrants—suffered an unexpected stroke that injured her brain and left her immobile and unable to speak or eat. ...
|HRC marks National Coming Out Day with new resource for youth 2021-10-11|
- On Oct. 11, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) is commemorating the 33rd annual National Coming Out Day (NCOD) by announcing the release of a new resource, "Online Communities and LGBTQ+ Youth." "National Coming Out Day exists ...
|NATIONAL Victory Institute, LGBTQ books, youth items, NASA, LGBTQ Nation 2021-10-10|
- LGBTQ Victory Institute and nine additional candidate-training organizations announced a partnership with Snap Inc., the parent company of Snapchat, to provide a native-to-mobile tool to encourage young people to run for office, a press release noted. ...
|Texans protest anti-trans youth measures at capitol in Austin 2021-10-03|
- GLAAD and Equality Texas issued a release highlighting a week of protest at the Texas state capitol in Austinwhere measures targeting transgender children are being considered during the legislature's third special session of the year. Three ...
|Crystal Lake's Raue Center for the Arts opens new school 2021-09-27|
- On its 20th anniversary, the Crystal Lake, Illinois-based nonprofit organization Raue Center for the Arts has launched a new school. Raue Center School for the Arts (RCSA) will provide youth and adult classes in a wide ...
|Indiana students sue over gay-straight club's alleged treatment 2021-09-24|
- In Pendleton, Indiana, a group of Pendleton Heights High School students has filed a lawsuit against the school and South Madison Community School Corporation over allegations that the school has been treating its Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA) ...
|OPALGA+ Scholarship Gala taking place Oct. 23 2021-09-21|
- The 2021 OPALGA+ (Oak Park Area Lesbian & Gay Association+) Scholarship Gala will take place Saturday, Oct. 23, at Nineteenth Century Club, 178 Forest Ave., Oak Park. Cocktails will begin at 6 p.m., with the program/dinner ...
|[UPDATE] Lisle school offers job to lacrosse coach in same-sex marriage 2021-09-21|
- The administration at Lisle’s Benet Academy, a west suburban Catholic school, has reversed course and offered a job to a woman in a same-sex marriage after initially rescinding the offer, The Chicago Tribune reported. ...
|Students urged to apply for Musical Theatre Awards 2021-09-14|
- Broadway in Chicago is inviting high schools across Illinois to participate in the 11th Annual Illinois High School Musical Theatre Awards. These awards celebrate excellence in high school theater throughout the state. Beginning Thursday, Sept. 16, ...
|Virginia school district settles with Gavin Grimm 2021-08-28|
- A Virginia school district that discriminated against a transgender individual by making him go to the bathroom in a converted supply closet will have to pay $1.3 million in attorney's fees and other costs accrued over ...
|Report features eight Illinois child-welfare agencies working with HRC Foundation 2021-08-26|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON — Today, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Foundation, the educational arm of the nation's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+) civil rights organization, released a new report ...
|Campus Pride names one Illinois school to 'Best of the Best' list 2021-08-26|
- Campus Pride chose 30 schools this year for the 2021 Best of the Best LGBTQ-Friendly Colleges & Universities List. This list is based on the campuses overall ratings on the Campus Pride Index and specific LGBTQ-inclusive ...