WINDY CITY TIMES
||Thousands rally in Loop against cuts
NEWS UPDATE June 18, 2009
This article shared 2669 times since Wed Jun 17, 2009
In light of a state budget crisis that has even led the Illinois Department of Human Services to advise funeral directors that the state can no longer afford funeral and burial payments, thousands of individuals protested posible budget cuts at the Thompson Center, 100 W. Randolph, June 18. The budget for state-funded human service programs will be cut by 50% ormore beginning July 1 if legislators do not act immediately to increase revenue, according to a statement from Center on Halsted Executive Director Modesto Tico Valle.
The possibilities are dire, indeed, for approximately 12,000 organizations throughout Illinois. According to Valle, "cuts mean fewer over all services and programs for Center on Halsted including its Anti-Violence and HIV programs resulting in fewer HIV tests, less prevention work and more new cases of HIV/AIDS." Sarah Frick of YWCA Metropolitan Chicago e-mailed Windy City Times that " [ t ] he state budget has us in complete crisis mode.... We are facing a 75% reduction in programs and staff." At the rally, many of the attendees chanted "No more cuts" and "People before politics." Photos by Andrew Davis and from Maude Carroll
This article shared 2669 times since Wed Jun 17, 2009
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|HIV/AIDS activist Rae Lewis-Thornton on her new memoir, 'Unprotected' 2022-05-18|
- Emmy-winning HIV/AIDS activist, author, minister, political organizer, motivational speaker, life coach, jewelry designer and social media figure Rae Clara Lewis-Thornton's recently released book, Unprotected: A Memoir, is already a pre-release ...
|PASSAGES Dr. David Ostrow dies at 74 2022-05-14|
- Longtime researcher Dr. David Gene Ostrow, of Chicago, died unexpectedly on Feb. 16 at home. He was 74. The cause of death was end-stage renal disease, according to the Tribute Archive website. Ostrow was born on ...
|Running squad 'Team to End AIDS' calls for participants to raise funds 2022-05-10|
-- From a press release - (Chicago, IL) Over the last 19 years, TEAM TO ENDS AIDS (T2)—the only HIV charity fundraising marathon team in the Midwest—has raised more than $13 million for HIV/AIDS awareness and direct support for those living with ...
|Book-signing for HIV/AIDS activist's 'Unprotected: A Memoir' on May 21 2022-05-05|
-- From a press release - "I had been torn apart by the doings of others and blamed myself for surviving to the best of my ability. It would literally take decades for me to understand that I was the product of what happened to me." Emmy ...
|NATIONAL Campus Pride, HIV and the military, IVF suit, Billie Jean King 2022-05-01|
- Campus Pridealong with 36 other national/regional organizations such as GLSEN, PFLAG National and TransAthlete.comrequested that the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) incorporate non-binary students into ...
|Indiana Univ. to host inaugural national HIV conference 2022-04-26|
- Indiana University (IU) will host the first IU National HIV Conference, "Stepping into the 5th Decade: Evolving Our Response to HIV," June 8-11 in Indianapolis. Hosted by the Office of the Vice President for Diversity, Equity ...
|'It Was Vulgar and It Was Beautiful' explores art collective's part in HIV/AIDS activism 2022-04-23|
- In Jack Lowery's book, It Was Vulgar and It Was Beautiful: How AIDS Activists Used Art to Fight a Pandemic, the historian shares how the art collective Gran Fury utilized community-made propaganda to address the HIV/AIDS ...
|Federal court strikes down Pentagon's restrictions on military service of people Living with HIV as unconstitutional 2022-04-07|
-- From a press release - "The court ruled that the Pentagon's policies regarding service members with HIV are not only outdated, but unlawful, arbitrary and capricious, and unconstitutional . . . one of the strongest judicial rulings in over two decades ...
|Simmons measure passes Senate, would allow pharmacists to provide HIV testing, PrEP and PEP medications 2022-04-01|
-- From a press release - SPRINGFIELD — To allow more people to access HIV preventative care easier, Illinois state Sen. Mike Simmons (D-Chicago) is leading a measure to allow pharmacists to provide HIV tests and preventative medications to help reduce new ...
|AFC calls on state legislature to pass Getting to Zero Illinois 2030 bills 2022-03-31|
- AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC) held its annual HIV Advocacy Day on March 9, saying it is focused on the Getting to Zero Illinois Plan (GTZ-IL) that aims to end the HIV epidemic in the state by ...
|San Francisco to host largest display of AIDS Memorial Quilt in a decade 2022-03-29|
- The National AIDS Memorial will mark the 35th anniversary of the AIDS Memorial Quilt with an historic outdoor display in Golden Gate Park that will feature nearly 3,000 hand-stitched panels of the Quilt. The free public ...
|Elton John AIDS Foundation Academy Awards Viewing Party raises $8.6M 2022-03-28|
- The 30th annual Elton John AIDS Foundation Academy Awards Viewing Party took place March 27 at West Hollywood Park, raising $8.6 million for the foundation's work to end AIDS. The event was hosted by 12-time Grammy-winning ...
|Legislation introduced to increase critical access to HIV prevention medications 2022-03-04|
-- Press release from the Office of State Representative Kelly M. Cassidy 14th District - SPRINGFIELD Yesterday evening, HB4430 Increased Access to PrEP and PEP sponsored by Rep. Kelly M. Cassidy was brought to the Illinois House floor to continue to address the health disparities communities ...
|Lady Gaga, Billy Porter, Eric McCormack to co-host 30th Elton John AIDS Foundation Oscars Viewing Party 2022-03-02|
- Elton John AIDS Foundation announced Academy Award and 12-time Grammy-winning singer/songwriter/actress Lady Gaga; Emmy, Tony and Grammy winner Billy Porter; and Emmy-winning actor Eric McCormack (Will & Grace) are set ...
|National AIDS Memorial honors Pedro Zamora's 50th birthday, naming 11 scholars 2022-03-01|
-- From a press release - SAN FRANCISCO (Feb. 28, 2022) — The National AIDS Memorial is honoring the legacy of AIDS educator and activist Pedro Zamora on what would have been his 50th birthday by formally announcing the latest recipients of ...