WINDY CITY TIMES
||Thorn stepping down as president/CEO of OutServe-SLDN
This article shared 503 times since Tue Oct 9, 2018
Matt Thorn has announced that he is stepping down as president/CEO of the LGBT military organization OutServe-SLDN.
In a press release, Thorn said, "A test of a leader is to recognize when he or she has fulfilled their role. I believe I have done that." Thorn became the organization's leader in February 2016 after serving as interim executive director since February 2015.
Thorn added, in part, "I am proud of my tenure at OutServe-SLDN: from solidifying partnerships with over 40 organizations, creating a robust network of pro-bono partners resulting in the access and assistance to legal services for over 2,000 individuals and over $4 million worth of legal services in the last four years."
Also, he said that "OutServe-SLDN also assisted in the initial implementation of open transgender service and vigorously advocated for the confirmation of Eric Fanning to be Secretary of the Army."
Andy Blevins will succeed Thorn; Thorn recommended him for the position.
This article shared 503 times since Tue Oct 9, 2018
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Pritzker Military Museum, Library to screen TransMilitary doc, Q&A with special guests 2021-09-28|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, IL (September 27, 2021) On Thursday, Sept. 30, at 5:30 p.m., the Pritzker Military Museum & Library will host the screening of the 2018 SXSW Audience Award Winner for Best Documentary TransMilitary. The program will ...
|Resolution recognizes 10th anniversary of the repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" 2021-09-20|
--From a press release - Washington, DC — Today, Rep. Mark Takano (D-CA), along with Rep. Mark Pocan (D-WI) and Rep. Chris Pappas (D-NH), lead a resolution to recognize the 10th anniversary of the enactment of the repeal of "Don't Ask, ...
|BOOKS 'Mission Possible' released before 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' anniversary 2021-09-20|
- C. Dixon Osburn, co-founder and former CEO of the Servicmembers Legal Defense Network (SLDN), has written Mission Possible: The Story of the Repealing 'Don't Ask Don't Tell. This is the inside story of SLDN, which was ...
|NATIONAL Carl Bean dies, LGBT History Month, military events, Dykes on Bikes 2021-09-19|
- Archbishop Carl Beanan openly gay former Motown singer, longtime AIDS activist and leader in the LGBTQ church movementdied at age 77, The New York Daily News reported. In a statement entitled "The Giant Sleeps," the Unity ...
|VA to offer surgery to transgender vets for the first time
- U.S. Secretary of Veterans Affairs (VA) Denis McDonough announced that officials, for the first time, will offer surgeries for transgender veterans seeking to transition, Military Times reported. The move follows ...
|Pritzker Military Museum to hold panel on Department of Defense and transgender employees 2021-06-10|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, June 8, 2021 — The Pritzker Military Museum & Library is proud to present a panel discussion, "Exploring the Intersection of the U.S. Military and the LGBTQ Community," on Wednesday, June 23rd at Noon CDT ...
|Pritzker Military Museum hosting June 23 Pride panel 2021-06-09|
- Chicago's Pritzker Military Museum & Library is presenting a panel discussion, "Exploring the Intersection of the U.S. Military and the LGBTQ Community," on Wed., June 23, at noon CT in celebration of Pride Month. The virtual ...
|Chicago LGBT veterans honor the fallen on Memorial Day 2021-05-31|
- The Chicago Chapter of the American Veterans for Equal Rights (AVER) honored the fallen on Memorial Day with flowers at the granite monument on Halsted Street and Addison which honors LGBTQ veterans. The monument was commissioned ...
|NATIONAL Military bill, LGBTQ teen, trans deaths, Pride items, children's book 2021-05-09|
- New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy signed a bill that directs the Department of Military and Veterans' Affairs in the Garden State to assist former Armed Forces service members who were denied an honorable discharge due to ...
|Chicago Blackhawks, Chicago Blackhawks Foundation Military Appreciation Night May 1 2021-04-30|
--From a press release - The Chicago Blackhawks and the Chicago Blackhawks Foundation, in partnership with USO Illinois and Boeing, will kick off May's National Military Appreciation Month with the team's Military Appreciation Night game on Saturday, May 1 as the ...
|Pentagon reverses Trump-era ban on trans military service, GLAAD responds 2021-03-31|
--From a GLAAD press release - New York, NY - Wednesday, March 31, 2021 - GLAAD, the world's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) media advocacy organization, celebrates news that the Pentagon will issue ...
|Modern Military Association of America names executive director 2021-02-09|
--From a press release - MMAA is pleased to announce that the board of directors has selected Jennifer Dane as executive director. Jennifer is a U.S. Air Force veteran and has served as the organization's interim executive director since February 2020. ...
|MMAA condemns Cong. Marjorie Taylor Greene's 'Hate American Flags' statement
--From a Modern Military Association of America press release - WASHINGTON Tonight, the Modern Military Association of America (MMAA) the nation's largest LGBTQ military and veteran non-profit organization condemns Congresswoman Marjorie Taylor Greene's statement on 'hate Ameri ...
|Biden's repeal of trans military ban impacts over 15,500 adults in the military
--From a Williams Institute press release - A summary of current data on transgender military service in U.S. Today, President Biden signed an executive order ending the ban on transgender military service. The directive instructs the Department of Defense to reinstate the 2016 ...
|LGBTQA+ organizations praise Biden's lift of trans military ban
- After President Joe Biden signed an executive order on Jan. 25 lifting former President Donald Trump's ban on transgender individuals being in the military, several LGBTQA+ groups and individuals issued press releases praising the move: LGBTQ ...