||Theater pro Carl Occhipinti dies
This article shared 4284 times since Wed Jan 8, 2014
Carl Occhipinti, the retired artistic director of Village Players, passed away Jan. 3. He was 61.
According to Legacy.com, he is survived by his beloved life partner, Gary Shum, of Chicago; his two sons, Jason ( Cheryl ) and Todd Occhipinti; and grandchildren Derek and Emmy of Eastlake, Ohio.
He was also the dear brother of Vincent, Jacqueline ( Randy ) Petersen, Peter ( Carol ), Joseph ( Laura ) and Salvatore; and uncle to 14 nieces and nephews. His parents, Carlo and Josephine Occhipinti preceded him in death.
In a statement, former Oak Park Festival Theatre Managing Director Galen Gockel said that Occhipinti "single-handedly kept Village Players afloat for years. ... It was his passion." He added, "At the final tribute to him to him upon his retirement, the theater was packed with admirers and those with whom he had worked. A perfect gentleman."
A service of remembrance will be held Sunday, Jan. 12, at the Sax-Tiedemann Funeral Home at 9568 W. Belmont Ave., Franklin Park, 1-5 p.m. For info, call 847-678-1950 or visit www.oakpark.com/News/Articles/1-7-2014/Yes-man/ .
This article shared 4284 times since Wed Jan 8, 2014
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Pioneering AIDS researcher Dr. Joseph Sonnabend dead at 88 2021-01-24|
--From a media release by HIVPlusMagazine - Pioneering AIDS researcher and clinician Joseph Sonnabend, 88, died Jan. 24, 2021 at the Wellington Hospital in London, after suffering a heart attack on Jan.3, 2021. Born in Johannesburg, South Africa, to a physician mother and ...
|Broadcasting legend Larry King dies at 87
- Broadcasting icon Larry King has died at age 87, CNN.com reported. King died at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, Ora Media, the studio and network he co-founded, tweeted. No cause of death was given, but ...
|PASSAGES Kevin McCarthy 2021-01-19|
- Kevin Creedon McCarthy, of Chicago's Andersonville neighborhood, passed away after a brief illness on Jan. 11. He was 53. Raised in Arlington Heights, Kevin studied communications at the University of Missouri before embarking on a long ...
|PASSAGES George H. Gibson 2021-01-06|
- George Horner Gibson died at his home in Chicago on Jan. 3, 2021. He was 88. Gibson was born in Baltimore, Maryland, and grew up in Charlotte, North Carolina. He graduated from Furman University with bachelor's ...
|PASSAGES Chicago activist Benny Montgomery dies
- Benny M. Montgomery Jr.—a longtime Chicago-based LGBTQ-rights activist who had worked as a constituent services administrator for U.S. Rep. Danny Davis and former Congresswoman Cardiss Collins, among other politicians—passed away ...
|Chicago trans woman Eshay Key, 25, dies in Christmas shooting 2020-12-28|
Column by Sue Kerr - Just a week after writing about the ugly shooting death of a 19-year-old Black gender nonconforming young adult while they were at a Christmas party, I was hopeful there would be no more deaths to cover ...
|'Party Monster' killer Michael Alig dies at 54
- Michael Alig who was at the center of the LGBTQ "club kids" scene in late 1980s and early '90s Manhattan, and whose involvement in the murder and dismemberment of his drug dealer was chronicled in the 2003 film Party Monster died Dec. 25th ...
|PASSAGES Chicago gay pioneer Richard Cooke dies 2020-12-17|
- Richard Cooke, a longtime Chicago resident and familiar East Lakeview presence along with his dachshund Governor, died in the early morning hours of Dec. 12, after suffering a heart attack earlier in the week. He was ...
|PASSAGES Ravinia producer Stephen R. Smoot, 57 2020-12-11|
--From a press release - Stephen R. Smoot, who produced hundreds of concerts for Ravinia Festival since 2005, died suddenly on Friday, Nov. 27. He was 57. Known for his quick wit and generous impulse to shine the spotlight on others, ...
|PASSAGES LGBT activist, former Oak Park, Illinois mayor Joanne Trapani dies 2020-12-02|
- LGBT activist and former Oak Park, Illinois Mayor Joanne Trapani died Nov. 29 due to complications from her endometrial cancer diagnosis. She was 71. Trapani was born in Corona, Queens, New York City on Aug. 5, ...
|PASSAGES Joanne E. Trapani 2020-11-29|
- According to Facebook posts, Joanne E. Trapani, one-time village president of Oak Park, has passed away. Read about her life and work in the community at the Chicago LGBT Hall of Fame: http://chicagolgbthalloffame.org/trapani-joanne/ . and at ...
|Award-winning journalist Deb Price dead at 62 2020-11-27|
- Deb Price, the award-winning journalist and author who wrote the first nationally syndicated column on LGBT issues in mainstream newspapers, has died in a hospital at age 62 in Hong Kong, where she had lived for ...
|PASSAGES Adrian Ford 2020-11-24|
- Adrian Robert Ford, of Chicago's Rogers Park neighborhood, died unexpectedly Nov. 17. He was 74 Born in Rochester, New York, on May 11, 1946 to Clarence and Ruth Ford, Adrian grew up in Webster, New York, ...
|PASSAGES Marsha M. Wetzel 2020-11-17|
- Marsha Marie Wetzel, advocate for the LGBTQ community, died peacefully at her Greenview Place home in Chicago, Illinois, on Nov. 1, 2020. In keeping with her faith, she passed on All Saints Day. She was preceded ...
|PASSAGES Kevin Putz 2020-11-04|
- Evanston resident Kevin Andrew Putz has passed away, He was 56. Kevin was the beloved husband of Michael McNamara; son of Sharon Putz and the late Dr. Gerard J. Putz; loving brother of Michael (Connie) Putz ...