||The night the lights went out in Georgia
This article shared 5012 times since Wed Apr 14, 2010
Excuse me, aren't you Marjorie Lee Winnick, the current Miss Georgia World? I'm Julia Sugarbaker, Suzanne Sugarbaker's sister. I couldn't help overhearing part of your conversation. Yes, and I gather from your comments there are a couple of other things you don't know, Marjorie. For example, you probably didn't know that Suzanne was the only contestant in Georgia pageant history to sweep every category except congeniality, and that is not something the women in my family aspire to anyway. Or that when she walked down the runway in her swimsuit, five contestants quit on the spot. OR that when she emerged from the isolation booth to answer the question: "What would you do to prevent war?," she spoke so eloquently of patriotism, battlefields and diamonds tiaras, grown men wept. And you probably didn't know, Marjorie, that Suzanne was not just any Miss Georgia, she was THE Miss Georgia. She didn't twirl just a baton, that baton was on fire. And when she threw that baton into the air it flew higher, further, faster than any baton has ever flown before, hitting a transformer and showering the darkened arena with sparks. And when it finally did come down, Marjorie, my sister caught that baton and 12,000 people jumped to their feet for sixteen and one half minutes of uninterrupted, thunderous ovation as flames illuminated her tear-stained face. And that, Marjorie, just so you will know and your children will someday know is the night the lights went out in Georgia.
This article shared 5012 times since Wed Apr 14, 2010
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Actress Olympia Dukakis dies at 89 2021-05-01|
- Olympia Dukakis—who won an Oscar for her supporting role in the 1987 hit Moonstruck and starred in Look Who's Talking and Mr. Holland's Opus as well as iterations of TV's Tales of the City—died May 1 at her home in New York City ...
|PASSAGES: AIDS activist, anti-imperalist organizer Tryfan Morys Eibhlyn Llwyd 2021-04-25|
- Longtime AIDS activist and anti-imperalist organizer Tryfan Morys Eibhlyn Llwyd (also known as Arawn Eibhlyn, and who uses the pronouns they/them/their) died March 3 in Louisville, Kentucky due to natural causes. They were 70. Llwyd was ...
|Body of 19-year-old Chicago Black trans woman found in June 2020, identified April 2021 2021-04-24|
- On June 6, 2020, the body of an unidentified young Black trans person was found in an abandoned building at 7908 S Laflin in Chicago. https://twitter.com/KaylaraOwl/status/1292173435750277123 . Koko Nia Labeija was born 29 May 2001 in ...
|PASSAGES Retired Chicago Police Commander Nancy Y. Lipman dies 2021-04-22|
- Retired Chicago Police Commander Nancy Y. Lipman died April 11 due to complications from ovarian cancer. She was 61. Lipman was born Jan. 21, 1960 in Chicago and graduated from Morgan Park High School. She also ...
|PASSAGES Donald Duane Slater 2021-04-20|
- Donald Duane Slater, age 73, of Kalamazoo Michigan made his transition on April 8, 2021 in his home, of natural causes. Don worked in several bars in the 1970's and 80's. Among them the Glory Hole ...
|Longtime LGBTQ activist Julie Valloni dies 2021-04-06|
- Longtime LGBTQ activist Julie Valloni died March 28 in Rockford, Illinois due to complications from a hip fracture. She was 80. Valloni was born July 12, 1940 and grew up in Chicago where she graduated from ...
|PASSAGES John Stephen Hunt 2021-03-29|
- John Stephen Hunta writer, world literati and global human-rights activist based in Chicagodied March 17 of natural causes in Chicago. He was 85. Hunt came out as a 20-year-old gay man during his U.S. Army Service. ...
|Longtime Chicago LGBTQ, HIV/AIDS activist Roman Buenrostro dies 2021-03-28|
- Longtime Chicago LGBTQ and HIV/AIDS activist Roman Buenrostro died March 25 due to complications from cancer. He was 54. Buenrostro was born Jan. 18, 1967 in Chicago. When his father retired, the family moved to Southern ...
|PASSAGES Roman Buenrostro 2021-03-26|
- Roman Buenrostro, a past AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC) Director of Special Projects passed away on March 25, 2021. He was a longtime LGBTQ+ leader and activist for people living with HIV and a co-founder of the ...
|PASSAGES Downstate activist Buff Carmichael passes away 2021-03-25|
- Longtime LGBTQ+-rights activist Buff Carmichael II, who was publisher of the Prairie Flame newspaper, passed away March 21 at his home in Springfield after a long illness. He was 73. A longtime State of Illinois employee, ...
|WORLD Court rulings, trans kids' books, activist dies, Naomi Campbell 2021-03-07|
- A Chinese court upheld a ruling that a textbook description of homosexuality as "a psychological disorder" was not a factual error but merely an "academic view," according to the South China Morning Post. The Chinese LGBT ...
|PASSAGES Maya Kali Evans dies at 53 2021-02-19|
- Maya Kali Evans (formerly Curtis O. Love)—a tattoo artist and caregiver who resided in Newark, Illinois, and who previously lived in Chicago and Philadelphia—passed away peacefully Feb. 18, 2021, at home in Newark. She was 53. ...
|PASSAGES Dr. Gary B. Beringer, epidemiologist, dies at 70 2021-02-17|
- Epidemiologist Gary B. Beringer, Dr. P.H., age 70, passed away suddenly Wednesday, Jan. 27 at his home in Chicago, IL. Gary, an only child, is survived by his wife, Nancy M. Abbate, who worked closely with ...
|Queer musician Ari Gold dies at 47
- New York City-based dance artist Ari Gold has died at age 47 after a long battle with cancer, according to out.com. Gold—who was also known as Sir Ari and GoldNation— released seven albums as a part ...
|PASSAGES Robert Thomas Cichocki, J.D. dies at 70 2021-02-11|
- Robert Thomas Cichocki, J.D., passed away peacefully at home in Chicago's Lake View neighborhood on Feb. 5. He was 70. After earning his B.A. from Wayne State University and his J.D. from The John Marshall Law ...