|The Women's March on Chicago Announces Post-Inauguration March and Rally
This article shared 3293 times since Thu Dec 22, 2016
December 22, 2016 ( CHICAGO, Ill. ) — The First Amendment is alive and well in Chicago, as thousands of women and their allies will brave the cold to rally downtown on January 21 in solidarity with others around the world who defend and further women's rights. The Women's March on Chicago honors women's marches planned for Washington D.C. and dozens of other U.S. cities on January 21, the day after the presidential inauguration, to make their diverse voices heard by a new administration.
Chicago marchers will stand together for women's civil liberties and rights and to signal that their diverse communities are the strength of our country.
"We are the women of Chicago. We are varied races, ethnicities, ages, religions, sexual identities, economic situations, politics, and countless other diversities, and we will share space on January 21 to protect our rights and our humanity," said Liz Radford, one of the organizers. "We are marching to voice protests and concerns because our rights, safety, and values are at stake. The mission of this march is to connect, protect, and activate in our communities."
Organizers have received conditional approval from the Chicago Park District to convene at 10 a.m. at Petrillo Bandshell in Grant Park. More information on the march route and concluding rally location will follow.
"We are actively spreading the word throughout Chicago and the suburbs to recruit marchers and supporters," said Lisa DeSantiago, one of the organizers. "We are here for equality and justice - everybody in this group wants it and will fight for it."
The grassroots effort started in mid-November 2016 when several women met online and felt compelled to combat the divisive rhetoric of the presidential campaign. In five weeks, more than 22,000 interested marchers have connected online. Nearly 10,000 people registered with the official Facebook page of the event within 48 hours of the launch earlier this week.
For more information, please visit the website: womens121marchonchicago.org, or go to the Facebook page: womensmarchonchicago .
This article shared 3293 times since Thu Dec 22, 2016
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE
|NATIONAL Utah board member, Baths founder dies, Fla. protests, DoJ equity plan 2024-02-16
- Utah's Republican governor and lieutenant governor urged the State Board of Education to take action against a conservative board member whose social-media post questioning the gender of a high school basketball player incited threats against the ...
|Judge rules city's rejection of protest permit around DNC was justified 2024-02-01
- A judge upheld the city's denial of protest permits for a march around the Democratic National Convention this fall after an appeal from its organizers. A coalition of groups under the banner of Bodies Outside of ...
|LGBTQ+, reproductive rights organizers plan march on Democratic National Convention, appeal permit rejection 2024-01-31
- Organizers planning a protest march outside the Democratic National Convention in August are appealing the city's denial of their permits. The group of organizers under the banner of Bodies Outside of Unjust Laws had been planning ...
|Scott Free's new album revives protest music for the modern era 2024-01-09
By Alec Karam - Gay Chicago musician Scott Free wants to bring protest music back to the mainstream. With his new album Songs to Fight Oppression, Free has unveiled several new sing-along social justice songs to accompany protests, or simply ...
|In D.C., Black LGBTQ+ lawmakers protest Nigerian wedding arrests 2023-09-14
- On Sept. 12, Black LGBTQ+ lawmakersled by Maryland state Del. Gabriel Acevero and D.C. Councilmember Zachary Parker, and alongside the National Black Justice Coalition (NBJC) and other advocacy groupsprotested outside ...
|Protest action to be held at site of Sept. 9 Jason Aldean concert in Tinley Park 2023-09-08
- The Revolution Club Chicago has announced a protest action against 46- year-old country music star and Nashville resident Jason Aldean outside of his Highway Desperado Tour appearance Sept. 9 at Credit Union 1 Amphitheatre. The protest ...
|Chicago activists counter-protest Rally for Life event 2023-06-24
- Chicago pro-choice activists attended a counter-protest of a pro-life rally marking the one-year anniversary of the overturning of Roe v. Wade on June 24. The counter-protest was organized by a coalition of organizations, including Stop Trans ...
|LGBTQ, women's rights supporters to protest for civil rights in Chicago June 24 2023-06-12
--From a joint press release - On the anniversary of the Supreme Court's Dobbs anti-abortion decision, with a major anti-LGBTQ decision expected this month, and hundreds of anti-LGBTQ bills pending in statehouses around the nation, organizers vow a rebirth of the spirit ...
|Violent clash takes place at Calif. school-board meeting over LGBTQ+ rights 2023-06-07
- On June 6, protesters clashed and fights erupted outside a meeting of the Glendale Unified School District board, which was scheduled to vote on recognizing June as Pride Month, ABC7 reported. After the skirmishes, police in ...
|NATIONAL Alabama protest, antibiotic, bi politician, high-school musicals, Key West 2023-05-12
- Alabama LGBTQ Action is urging the LGBTQ+ community and allies to join the group at a march on the Alabama State Capitol in Montgomery on Tuesday, May 16, to demand equal rights for all state residents, ...
|WORLD Hungarian law, French official, anti-Uganda protest, Rahm Emanuel 2023-04-14
- Germany and France are joining the EU Commission's infringement proceedings against Hungary over its anti-LGBTQ+ law, according to NBC News. The European Commission referred Hungary to the Court of Justice of the EU in mid-2022 over ...
|NATIONAL 'Don't Say Gay,' anti-trans bills, gay Irish leader visits, gay Calif. mayor 2023-03-25
- In Indiana, approximately 100 students from the Center For Inquiry School 27 held a walk-out to protest the state's "Don't Say Gay" bill, which would restrict how teachers are able to discuss sexual orientation or gender ...
|Protest held outside New Life Covenant Church over alleged anti-LGBTQ practices 2023-03-13
- Now-former New Life Covenant Church parishioner Rosaly Andino, who is a lesbian, and her allies gathered across the street from the church in the Humboldt Park neighborhood March 12 to protest alleged anti-LGBTQ practices by Pastor David Marrero. ...
|NATIONAL Drag shows, LGBTQ+ honors, Bragman memorial, Fred Karger 2023-03-04
Video below - Dozens of supporters turned out outside the Crazy Aunt Hellen's restaurant in D.C. in anticipation of a drag show's planned protest by the far-right group Proud Boysbut police said members of the far-right, neo-fascist organization didn' ...
|NATIONAL Help center, PrEP/PEP bill, gay pol weds, Creating Change protest 2023-02-24
- On Feb. 21, the LGBT National Help Center officially launched its newest program, the LGBT National Coming Out Support Hotline, per a press release. The hotline focuses specifically on the concerns of those who are struggling ...
|Anti-LGBTQ+ Republican McConnell to step down from leading U.S. Senate
|WORLD Canadian politics, Australian murders, Finnish study, 'Anatomy'
|SHOWBIZ Queer actors, icons duet, Hunter Schafer, Oscars, Elizabeth Taylor
|APA adopts policy supporting transgender, gender diverse and non-binary individuals
|NATIONAL School items, HIV/AIDS activist dies, Nex Benedict, inclusive parade