WINDY CITY TIMES
||The Civil Rights Agenda launches trans project
This article shared 2779 times since Sun Nov 4, 2012
The Civil Rights Agenda (TCRA) is launching its newest project focused on the transgender community throughout Illinois.
A press release stated that the "Transgender Rights Project will seek to advance the rights of the transgender and gender-variant communities through policy and legislative advocacy and community education." To achieve that, TCRA is assembling an advisory committee made up of transgender, gender-variant and queer-identified individuals.
"We at The Civil Rights Agenda believe that we are at a tipping point in terms of transgender rights," said TCRA Executive Director Anthony Martinez in the statement. "It is our belief that we should push the rights of transgender individuals to the forefront of the LGBTQ policy agenda in Illinois."
TCRA is asking individuals interested in joining the committee to email firstname.lastname@example.org .
This article shared 2779 times since Sun Nov 4, 2012
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Texas governor signs anti-trans sports bill 2021-10-27|
- Texas' transgender student-athletes will be restricted from playing on K-12 school sports teams that align with their gender identity under a bill Gov. Greg Abbott signed into law Oct. 25, The Texas Tribune reported. House Bill ...
|Twitter suspends Indiana politician for misgendering trans official 2021-10-25|
- Twitter suspended the account of U.S. Rep. Jim Banks, R-Ind., after he intentionally misgendered Health and Human Services official, Dr. Rachel Levinethe first transgender person to hold an office that ...
|LGBT HISTORY MONTH Angela Davis, revolutionary 2021-10-24|
By Victoria A. Brownworth - "You have to act as if it were possible to radically transform the world. And you have to do it all the time," said Angela Davis, 78, the country's most famous living revolutionary. She was born ...
|NATIONAL Trans women in sports, Grindr crime, 'Berlin Patient,' trans death 2021-10-24|
- Sports icon Billie Jean King, U.S. National Women's Soccer Team Co-Captain and World Cup Champion Megan Rapinoe, and WNBA stars Layshia Clarendon and Brianna Turner joined more than 150 fellow athletes in women's sports to support ...
|CTA proposes reduced fare changes 2021-10-22|
- During a time when the prices of just about everything seems to increase, the Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) is proposing the opposite, according to The Chicago Sun-Times. The CTA has proposed slashing some fares to boost ...
|Author Margaret Atwood in anti-trans controversy 2021-10-21|
- The Handmaid's Tale author Margaret Atwood has been called transphobic after she shared an article complaining about gender-neutral language on Twitter. According to PinkNews, the opinion piecewhich Toronto Star columnist ...
|Celebrities support trans employees in Netflix walkout with video 2021-10-20|
- As the Netflix walkout in response to the company's continued support of Dave Chappelle's special The Closer was underway at the streamer's Los Angeles headquarters Oct. 20, a video that includes activists and Netflix talent alike ...
|Colorado becomes first state to require trans care as essential health benefit 2021-10-17|
- Colorado has become the first state in the country to include transition-related care for transgender people as part of the requirements for essential healthcare in the state, The Washington Blade reported. As part of the change, ...
|WORLD Plus magazine, The Guardian, Dutch princess, anti-trans ruling 2021-10-17|
- The largest circulated HIV publication in the country, Plus, unveiled its 25 Amazing People of the Year, per a press release. Just a few of the individuals are actor Billy Porter; Mandisa Nikita Dukashe: South African ...
|Attorneys general file pro-transgender brief 2021-10-15|
- A coalition of 20 attorneys general, including Illinois Attorney General Kwame Raoul and New York counterpart Letitia James, filed an amicus brief in the case of Soule v. Connecticut Association of Schools, opposing the plaintiffs' efforts ...
|Chicago Plumbing Code allows all-gender multiple occupancy restrooms 2021-10-15|
--From a Community Restroom Access Project (CRAP) press release - CHICAGO — The Community Restroom Access Project (CRAP) applauds passage Thursday by the Chicago City Council of the plumbing code modernization ordinance that will allow businesses and building owners to ...
|Dozens of celebrities, companies set to take part in Spirit Day on Oct. 21 2021-10-15|
--From a press release - New York, NY, Thursday, October 14, 2021 - Today, GLAAD, the world's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) media advocacy organization, announced a preliminary list of celebrities, shows ...
|Brave Space Alliance's 'Out 'N Brave' panel on beauty, coming out 2021-10-14|
By Cris Villalonga-Vivoni - Coming out is one of the most terrifying yet liberating experiences that an LGBTQ+ person must endure to achieve happiness. Brave Space Alliance (BSA)—Chicago's South Side, Black-led, trans-led LGBTQ+ resource ...
|LGBTQ History Month: Pauli Murray, architect of history 2021-10-13|
By Victoria A. Brownworth - (Note: The pronouns she/her are used in keeping with Murray's own writings, but Murray was a transmasculine and gender-nonconforming lesbian.) Some say Pauli Murray is the most important U.S. activist many have never heard of. An ...
|Trans employees plan Oct. 20 walkout at Netflix [UPDATE] 2021-10-13|
- Netflix's trans employee resource group is planning a company-wide walkout Wed., Oct. 20, to protest statements made by co-CEO Ted Sarandos regarding Dave Chappelle's latest comedy special The Closer, according to The Verge. "Trans Lives Matter. ...