WINDY CITY TIMES
||'The Allure of Matter' exhibit in two venues
This article shared 2800 times since Thu Feb 6, 2020
"The Allure of Matter: Material Art from China" will run through Sunday, May 3, at two venues: Smart Museum of Art, 5550 S. Greenwood Ave., and Wrightwood 659, 659 W. Wrightwood Ave. ( There will be a free public celebration Saturday, Feb. 8, simultaneously at both spots 3-7 p.m. )
The exhibit features 48 two- and three-dimensional works made from a range of unique materials, including melted plastic, paper-thin porcelain, cigarettes, desiccated Coca-Cola ashand 300,000 iron nails.
Artists include Ai Weiwei, Cai Guo-Qiang, Xu Bing, Yin Xiuzhen, Song Dong, gu wenda and Lin Tianmiao. The exhibit opens 20 years after the Smart Museum's first contemporary Chinese art project with exhibition co-curator and University of Chicago professor Wu Hung.
"The Allure of Matter" is co-organized by the Smart Museum of Art with Wrightwood 659 and the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, the Seattle Art Museum and the Peabody Essex Museum.
Visit TheAllureOfMatter.org for more information about the exhibit as well as special events, such as workshops and readings.
This article shared 2800 times since Thu Feb 6, 2020
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Art Institute revises Gonzales-Torres placard to include HIV-related details 2022-10-04|
- Art Institute of Chicago (AIC) has revised the label accompanying the Felix Gonzalez-Torres' installation "Untitled (Portrait of Ross in L.A.)" to reinstate references both to Gonzalez-Torres' partner Ross Laycock and ...
|DANCE Cerqua Rivera kickoff/benefit on Oct. 22 2022-09-30|
- Cerqua Rivera Dance Theatre (CRDT) will hold its season kickoff/benefit on Saturday, Oct. 22, at the Reva and David Logan Center for the Arts, 915 E. 60th St., at 7:30 p.m. CRDT's Dance Ensemble and Jazz ...
|21c Museum Hotel Chicago launches art-centered series 2022-09-29|
- The spot 21c Museum Hotel Chicago, 55 E. Ontario St.which blurs the line between a contemporary art museum and a boutique hotelannounced plans for its fall/winter 2022 season and 2023 edition of the "Art of" a ...
|ART Chicago artist part of German exhibit 'Queering the Crip' 2022-09-25|
- "Queering the Crip, Cripping the Queer"—called the first international exhibit exploring the multiple historical, cultural and political intersections of queerness and disability—will take place through Jan. 30, 2023 at Berlin's ...
|Center on Halsted makes senior staff hires in development, DEI and culinary arts programs 2022-09-22|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO — Three senior hires have been added to Center on Halsted's staff recently. Brittany Terry was named senior director of diversity, equity, and inclusion/training services. Brad Snyder began work as chief development officer last month. ...
|Future Galerie to hold Oct. 1 event ahead of historic digital-art exhibit 2022-09-21|
- Future Galeriea contemporary, immersive and digital-art exhibition that explores methodologies for how art is being created and how culture is being experiencedwill hold a preview event Saturday, Oct. 1, at the 900 N. Michigan Ave. Shops. ...
|Andersonville Arts Weekend to take place Sept. 30 - Oct. 2 2022-09-19|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO—The Andersonville Chamber of Commerce (ACC), in partnership with The Bramble Arts Loft and Connect Gallery, is welcoming back its 18th annual Andersonville Arts Weekend, with the neighborhood transformed into ...
|ART Jonathan D. Katz previews his upcoming 'First Homosexuals' exhibit 2022-09-17|
- Activist, art historian, educator and writer Jonathan D. Katz's new exhibit, "The First Homosexuals: Global Depictions of a New Identity, 1869-1930," will be available to see at Wrightwood 659, 659 W. Wrightwood Ave., on Fridays and ...
|THEATER 'Cabaret' at Metropolis through Oct. 22 2022-09-17|
- Musical Broadway classic and hit film Cabaret re-creates the decadent and complicated world of 1929 Berlin at the Arlington Heights venue Metropolis Performing Arts Centre through Oct. 22. Cabaret is Kander and Ebb's legendary musical masterpiece ...
|ART Nick Cave retrospective 'Forothermore' to close at MCA on Oct. 2 2022-09-15|
- The Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago (MCA) and celebrated Chicago artist Nick Cave announced that the blockbuster exhibition, Forothermore, must close at the MCA on Sunday, Oct. 2. The most comprehensive survey of Cave's work to ...
|MUSIC Raue Center to host ABBA tribute on Oct. 15 2022-09-12|
- Raue Center for the Arts will welcome "Mania: The Abba Tribute," from London's West End, to downtown Crystal Lake at 8 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 15. "Mania" takes audiences back in time by recreating one of ...
|The National Hellenic Museum to exhibit 'Chicago Street Photography,' 'Cloth and Light' 2022-09-09|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO (Sept. 8, 2022)The National Hellenic Museum (NHM)a Greektown museum dedicated to sharing Greek history, art, culture and the Greek American storyannounced two additional exhibitions as part of its grand ...
|Black Excellence Award nominations announced; gala on Nov. 14 2022-09-08|
-- From a press release - Chicago—The Board of Directors of the African American Arts Alliance (AAAA), and the Black Excellence Awards Committee announce the nominations for the 22nd Annual Black Excellence ...
|DANCE Rogers Park group Synapse Arts to hold Sept. 17 fundraiser 2022-09-06|
- On Saturday, Sept. 17, there will be another “Crosswalk Dance” from the Rogers Park company Synapse Arts as well as another Jarvis Square Artisan Market and the celebration of National Dance Day. ...
|Local LGBTQ+ icon Dr. C.C. Carter returns to Chicago in a new position 2022-09-01|
- Dr. Carla "C.C." Carter is back. After being away for a few years and embarking on a few adventures (like graduating from seminary school), Carteran acclaimed writer, poet, and performeris back in Chicago as managing director ...