WINDY CITY TIMES
||'The Allure of Matter' exhibit in two venues
This article shared 1804 times since Thu Feb 6, 2020
"The Allure of Matter: Material Art from China" will run through Sunday, May 3, at two venues: Smart Museum of Art, 5550 S. Greenwood Ave., and Wrightwood 659, 659 W. Wrightwood Ave. ( There will be a free public celebration Saturday, Feb. 8, simultaneously at both spots 3-7 p.m. )
The exhibit features 48 two- and three-dimensional works made from a range of unique materials, including melted plastic, paper-thin porcelain, cigarettes, desiccated Coca-Cola ashand 300,000 iron nails.
Artists include Ai Weiwei, Cai Guo-Qiang, Xu Bing, Yin Xiuzhen, Song Dong, gu wenda and Lin Tianmiao. The exhibit opens 20 years after the Smart Museum's first contemporary Chinese art project with exhibition co-curator and University of Chicago professor Wu Hung.
"The Allure of Matter" is co-organized by the Smart Museum of Art with Wrightwood 659 and the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, the Seattle Art Museum and the Peabody Essex Museum.
Visit TheAllureOfMatter.org for more information about the exhibit as well as special events, such as workshops and readings.
This article shared 1804 times since Thu Feb 6, 2020
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Tribute event to honor Chicago's first Cultural Historian Jan. 28 2021-01-14|
--From a City of Chicago press release - CHICAGO, IL Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot and the Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE) today announced a tribute event to honor Chicago's first Cultural Historian, Tim Samuelson. Samuelson recently retired after 3 ...
|Artemisia Theatre announces entirely virtual 2021 season 2021-01-13|
--From a press release - CHICAGO - In order to continue its strong feminist story-telling tradition, Artemisia Theatre announces an entirely virtual 2021 season. The new season includes two World Premiere theater productions and eight audio performances airing on its podcast ...
|Mayor Lightfoot, DCASE announce $2.5M in arts grants 2021-01-11|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, IL Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot and the Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE) today announced $2.5 million in funding opportunities for Chicago artists and arts organizations. A new "Artist Response Program," ...
|African American Arts Alliance, Black Ensemble to present MLK event Jan. 18
- The African American Arts Alliance of Chicago and Black Ensemble Theater will present the 10th Annual Martin Luther King Jr. Day Celebration on Monday, Jan. 18, at 6 p.m. The online event will be free. This ...
|LGBTQ task force wants 25th Amendment used to remove Trump
- On Jan. 6, the National LGBTQ Task Force and National LGBTQ Task Force Action Fund issued a press release for the immediate removal of outgoing President Donald Trump under the 25th Article. The release read, in ...
|Lighthouse Foundation to host Black Queer Pride: Winter Edition 2020-12-22|
--From a press release - Lighthouse Foundation will host Chicago's Virtual Black Queer Pride: Winter Edition with three days of programming by eleven local Black Queer artists. The virtual event will take begin on Facebook live, Friday, ...
|Windy City Gay Chorus, Windy City Treble Quire present Let There Be Light 2020-12-15|
--From a press release - Chicago, Ill. — Windy City Performing Arts (WCPA), the not-for-profit parent organization of Windy City Gay Chorus and Windy City Treble Quire, is proud to announce its 41st annual holiday concert, Let there be Light: A ...
|Surprise Grammy-winning artist to perform at Equality Illinois gala 2020-12-15|
- A surprise Grammy-winning artist is slated to perform at the Equality Illinois 30th-anniversary gala on Feb. 6, 2021. The event is annually attended by hundreds of movers and shakers within the LGBTQA community. To find out ...
|HotHouse to stream Cuban jazz festival "Jazz Plaza" Jan. 21-24 2020-12-14|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Marguerite Horberg, executive director of the award-winning Chicago-based nonprofit arts presenter HotHouse, today announced that it has been awarded the exclusive rights to stream the 2021 legendary Cuban ...
|Indoor Voices series spotlights Duke It Out Nutcracker Dec. 18 2020-12-11|
--From a press release - The Music Institute of Chicago's "Indoor Voices," a free series of virtual visits with arts luminaries featuring conversation and occasional performances, returns with a new episode spotlighting the Music Institute's ...
|American Writers Museum launches virtual American Voices exhibit 2020-12-07|
--From a press release - (CHICAGO - December 7, 2020) - The American Writers Museum (AWM) today announced the launch of a new website NationofWriters.org, an online resource featuring a virtual American Voices exhibit, educational ...
|THEATER About Face airing festival with Black LGBTQ+ artists
- About Face Theatre is launching its 25th season with Kickbackan online festival of 10 newly commissioned short plays and performances by Black LGBTQ+ artists, inspired by the Rebuild Foundation's collections at the Stony Island Arts Bank. ...
|Cancer dangers from alcohol surrounded by misinformation 2020-12-02|
- Reporting by TheCounter.org highlights the efforts of the alcohol industry to obscure awareness of the known cancer dangers of alcohol by spreading misinformation and undermining research. An article focuses on a 2017 Canadian study of health ...
|Adler Planetarium showcases work of Frank Kameny 2020-12-01|
- Adler Planetarium,The Kameny Papers and Google Arts & Culture have created and made available the Frank Kameny/Pride exhibition, an online graphic slide show, viewable at Google Arts & Culture. Thirteen slides document Kameny's life and work. ...
|SHOWBIZ: Awards, 'Bebop,' Andy Cohen, Mariah Carey, Revry 2020-11-23|
- The American Music Awards aired live Nov. 22 and some of the biggest names in music took home awards; Taraji P. Henson hosted. According to CNN.com, Doja Cat won new artist of the year and Becky ...