WINDY CITY TIMES
||'The Allure of Matter' exhibit in two venues
This article shared 2307 times since Thu Feb 6, 2020
"The Allure of Matter: Material Art from China" will run through Sunday, May 3, at two venues: Smart Museum of Art, 5550 S. Greenwood Ave., and Wrightwood 659, 659 W. Wrightwood Ave. ( There will be a free public celebration Saturday, Feb. 8, simultaneously at both spots 3-7 p.m. )
The exhibit features 48 two- and three-dimensional works made from a range of unique materials, including melted plastic, paper-thin porcelain, cigarettes, desiccated Coca-Cola ashand 300,000 iron nails.
Artists include Ai Weiwei, Cai Guo-Qiang, Xu Bing, Yin Xiuzhen, Song Dong, gu wenda and Lin Tianmiao. The exhibit opens 20 years after the Smart Museum's first contemporary Chinese art project with exhibition co-curator and University of Chicago professor Wu Hung.
"The Allure of Matter" is co-organized by the Smart Museum of Art with Wrightwood 659 and the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, the Seattle Art Museum and the Peabody Essex Museum.
Visit TheAllureOfMatter.org for more information about the exhibit as well as special events, such as workshops and readings.
This article shared 2307 times since Thu Feb 6, 2020
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Crystal Lake's Raue Center for the Arts opens new school 2021-09-27|
- On its 20th anniversary, the Crystal Lake, Illinois-based nonprofit organization Raue Center for the Arts has launched a new school. Raue Center School for the Arts (RCSA) will provide youth and adult classes in a wide ...
|Month-long Open House Chicago 2021 to feature in-person site visits Oct. 16-17 2021-09-25|
--From a press release - (September 20, 2021) CHICAGO — Chicago Architecture Center (CAC) announced that Open House Chicago 2021 will again offer its popular in-person, indoor site visits, providing rare behind-the-scenes access to more ...
|ART The Peninsula hosting installation by Bob Faust 2021-09-23|
- The Peninsula Chicago, 108 E. Superior St., an art installation featuring Chicago artist Bob Fausthalf of a power couple of the art world, with Nick Cave. Titled "with all, and still…," this exhibit debuted mid-September and ...
|Chicago's holiday cultural and arts events to reopen for in-person 2021-09-23|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot and the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE) today announced DCASE fall and holiday programming as Chicago's vital arts scene continues to safely and fully reopen. In-person holiday ...
|Art Institute workers forming union 2021-09-22|
- With backing for a majority of employees, organizers at the Art Institute of Chicago announced they are asking the museum to voluntarily recognize the first labor union at the cultural institution, The Chicago Tribune reported. The ...
|8th Annual Black Alphabet Film Festival on Nov. 5-7 2021-09-17|
- The 8th Annual Black Alphabet Film Festival (BAFF) will take place Nov. 5-7 at the University of Chicago's Reva and David Logan Center for the Arts, 915 E. 60th St. One of the longest running Black ...
|Chicago Dance History Project moving to Ruth Page Center 2021-09-17|
- Chicago Dance History Project (CDHP)which investigates, documents and presents the individual and institutional past of Chicago danceplans to move into The Ruth Page Center for the Arts, 1016 N. Dearborn St., as an artist in residence. ...
|ARCHITECTURE Thompson Center Idea Competition winners named 2021-09-14|
- The Chicago Architecture Center and the Chicago Architectural Club announced the jury's selection of three winning designs for the Thompson Center Design Ideas Competition that represent three distinct, creative visions for the State of Illinois Thomp ...
|CAIC announces 2021 Collaborative Works Festival, immigration, migration in song 2021-09-13|
--From a press release - CHICAGO— Collaborative Arts Institute of Chicago (CAIC) begins its eleventh anniversary season with its annual Collaborative Works Festival, held in venues around Chicago from October 6—9, 2021. The 2021 Collaborative ...
|TELEVISION 'Drag Race,' 'Queer Eye,' 'Pose' among Creative Emmy winners 2021-09-13|
- Three 2021 Creative Arts Emmy Awards ceremonies took place Sept. 11-12—and Netflix's The Queen's Gambit led the way with nine wins going into next weekend's Primetime Emmys, Deadline reported. LGBTQ+ individuals and shows also scored se ...
|Lightfoot attends 'Parade of Hearts' public-art installation series launch 2021-09-09|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (September 8, 2021) The Love, Unity & Values (LUV) Institute, a Chicago non-profit, unveiled a new series of neighborhood art installations Sept. 8 to launch the Parade of Hearts, an initiative to commemorate the ...
|MCA names Laura Herrera Senior Director of Communications and Content 2021-08-26|
--From a press release - Madeleine Grynsztejn, Pritzker Director of the Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago, announces the appointment of Laura Herrera as Senior Director of Communications and Content, a newly created position that advances ...
|ART 'Frida Kahlo: Timeless' extended to Sept. 12 2021-08-26|
- "Frida Kahlo: Timeless," hosted by the Cleve Carney Museum of Art (CCMA) and the McAninch Arts Center (MAC) at the College of DuPage (COD), has been extended an additional week to Sept. 12. To date, "Timeless" ...
|Romanticism to Ruin exhibition opening September 24 2021-08-19|
--From a press release - Romanticism to Ruin: Two Lost Works of Sullivan and Wright, Wrightwood 659's fall exhibition, opens Sept. 24. Tickets are now available. The great American architects Louis H. Sullivan and Frank Lloyd Wright had rare gifts for ...
|Chicagoland performing arts venues, producers unify around vaccination, masks 2021-08-18|
--From a press release - Chicago, IL (August 17, 2021) — The League of Chicago Theatres shared today that a growing coalition of more than 65 performing arts venues and producers across Chicagoland have agreed upon Covid-19 Vaccination and Mask Requirements ...