by Kirk Williamson, Nightspots Editor
This article shared 1523 times since Wed Feb 1, 2012
So I totally fk'd up the online Jepardy test last week. On any given day at 3:30, I'm sitting on my couch ( it's the only break I get while tirelessly working on this magazine ) rattling off "questions" to rival the contestants on the show. "How easy would it be to actually get on the show?," I think to myself ... and maybe vocalize to my cat. Well, not so easy, as it turns out. I've done the online test before and it was a breeze, but alas, not this time.
So I figured ( with the same brain that blew the test ) that I'd try my hand at Family Fuss'n, the Wednesday game show at The Sofo Tap last week. It was a hoot. Host Dick Guhzinya ( get it? ) had apparently hunted down and skinned a rumpus room for his jacket, while a beturbaned Ethel Merman and Judge Judy ( okay, I watch that during the day too ) kept it moving along with wisdom and wisecrackery. Personally, I didn't fare any better than on the Jeopardy test, but at least liquor was along for the ride. Lesson learned.
Thanks to Gio at 3160 for including me in the 6th anniversary POP Goes the Gio show! Right as I walked in he dragged me on stage ( kicking and screaming, of course ) to favor the crowd with my rendition of Prince and the Revolution's "Purple Rain." It was such a blur I forgot to hand my camera over to Jason to take my picture. You hadda be there.
Another thanks to Tom Wray, who, upon seeing me arrive at midnight at Touche, knew right away that I had come to photograph the lube wrestling event., which was the kickoff to Mr. Chicago Leather weekend. I was a bit late, but Tom graciously offered to send me some pics of the event, which are laid out on page 12. As you might imagine, a bunch of guys in loose-fitting onesies covered in lubrication might lead to a little slippage, of the "there's no way I can print THAT" sort. Suffice it to say there's a whole reel of pictures you'll never see in these pages. Damn community obscenity standards!
Welcome to Antronio's, the new club at 6319 W. Roosevelt Rd. Combine the owner's name ( Antonio ) and the Mexican slang for "hip" ( antro ) , and there you go. You may remember Antonio from Chesterfield's, which has been closed since 2008. Say hi to Antonio and all the folks for dancing, videos, drag shows, and billiard playing. And thanks to Pubert for his lovely pictures of the opening night party.
This article shared 1523 times since Wed Feb 1, 2012
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|SHOWBIZ RuPaul, LGBTQ athletes, film winners, Charles Busch 2020-11-02|
- RuPaul has a lot of irons in the fire, according to out.com. Not only is she on the cover of Cosmopolitan UK's January 2021 issue, but the drag icon has also posted her new five-track Hey Sis, It's Christmas EP. Also, ...
|Kirk Williamson: Telling stories 2020-09-30|
- Many of you might know me only through my byline on the masthead or, if you're a bit older (and drunker), by my time in the bars as editor of Nightspots. Hey, I WAS that guy from the magazine. But if you have never ...
|Karlin's memoir reflects on heyday of Chicago LGBT media 2020-04-29|
- Fort Lauderdale-based author Rick Karlin, a native Chicagoan who for many years wrote about food and entertainment, among other topics, for LGBT papers in the Windy City, said that the machinations of the local gay media ...
|ART Paul Heyer in solo show presented by MCA 2018-06-20|
- The Museum of Contemporary Art (MCA) Chicago features artist Paul Heyer's first-ever solo show, "Chicago Works: Paul Heyer," through July 1. Heyer is a native of Chicago's south suburbs. Growing up in an arts appreciative household, ...
|Billy Masters 2017-11-21|
- "I can't wait to shove this up Adam's ass!"Blake Shelton's comment after being named "People" magazine's Sexiest Man Alive. I don't really understand all these "straight guys" who are obsessed with ass play. But, hey, as ...
|THEATER REVIEW Sylvester, or The Wicked Uncle 2017-09-25|
- Playwright: adapted by Christina Calvit from the novel by Georgette Heyer At: Lifeline Theatre, 6912 N. Glenwood Ave. Tickets: $40. Runs through: Oct. 29 Regency Romances, preferably adapted for the stage by Christina Calvit, never fail ...
|The Fair Maid of the West 2017-08-09|
- Playwright: Thomas Heywood, adapted by Kevin Theis. At: Oak Park Festival Theatre in Austin Gardens, 167 Forest Ave., Oak Park. Tickets: $30. Runs through: Sept. 2 Thomas Heywood's sword-and-cloak extravaganza was a blockbuster in 1631, but ...
|President Obama's remarks in presenting the Medal of Freedom to VP Joe Biden 2017-01-12|
From the White House Office of the Press Secretary - State Dining Room 3:50 P.M. EST THE PRESIDENT: Hey! All right, that's enough. Don't want to embarrass the guy. (Laughter.) Welcome to the White House, everybody. As I have already delivered my farewell address, I will ...
|President Obama presents the Medal of Freedom to Ellen DeGeneres and others 2016-11-23|
From the White House Office of the Press Secretary - THE WHITE HOUSE, Office of the Press Secretary REMARKS BY THE PRESIDENT AT PRESENTATION OF THE 2016 PRESIDENTIAL MEDAL OF FREEDOM East Room, 3:13 P.M. EST THE PRESIDENT: Hello, hello, hello! Hey! Thank you. (Applause.) Thank ...
|BOOK REVIEW The Joy of Swimming 2016-09-07|
- By Lisa Congdon $18.95; Chronicle Books; 141 pages People say you're all wet. Maybe that's not the nicest thing you've ever heard but hey! If something's true, it's true, right? Yep, you love being in a ...
|Mirza protests Trump, lesbian actress makes statement 2016-01-13|
- Lesbian actress Fawzia Mirza recently made a statement in front of the Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago. In response to Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump's comments about Muslims, Mirza posted, " Hey @realdonaldtrump WE ARE ...
|THEATER REVIEW Million Dollar Quartet 2015-12-30|
- Book: Colin Escott and Floyd Mutrux; Score: Various. At: Apollo Theatre, 2540 N. Lincoln Ave. Tickets: 773-935-6100 or www.milliondollarquartetlive.com; $25-$95. Runs through Jan. 17 Hey procrastinators! Million Dollar Quartet, officially ...
Stanley in the
Name of Love 2015-08-12|
- Book: Mr. Margaret Svetlove; Score: The Delicious Moons. At: The New Colony at Den Theatre, 1333 N. Milwaukee Ave. Tickets: www.thenewcolony.org; $20-$25. Runs through: Aug. 29 Hey, you young queer club kids who worship at the ...
|Stanley Cup makes the rounds in Boystown over Pride weekend; CGHA celebrates 2015-07-01|
- They won a championship and cruised around town with The Cup. Hey, it was a pretty good Pride weekend for the Chicago Gay Hockey Association (CGHA). The second-ever Chicago Pride Classic was held at McFetridge Sports ...
|Bijou Chronicles RETROSTUDS OF THE PAST:
FOCUS ON LEE RYDER
- We at Bijou carry back issues of Manshots magazines, which was, I think, in its heyday (the late '80s and early '90s), offered a sophisticated approach to gay porn; its video reviews were generally cogent and ...