by Kirk Williamson, Nightspots Editor
This article shared 1739 times since Wed Nov 9, 2011
10 years ago this week, a plucky, popular little fag rag had a dream: to become even more popular-er with the addition of color and a bunch of crazy people at the helm. Would this gambit pay off? Well, it's been a decade, so you tell me.
Some of you may remember that the original editor of Nightspots was local queer writer Sukie de la Croix. Sukie saw a young account manager with a creative bent and took him under his wing. Under his kilt, more like.
Back in the Sukie days, we judged hot boy contests in foreign languages, attempted to suck ping pong balls through hoses and molded our penises with some degree of discomfort. Oh, how time has flown!
My time working with Sukie taught me one very important thing: trust your bizarre creative synaptic leaps, whenver they may occur. It was just such a leap that brought me to envision Steve Valek from Clark's On Clark in a bathtub full of banana peels. When the lady behind me in line at the Dominick's inquired about my purchase of 50 pounds of bananas, my honest and swift response was, "My friend's coming over and I'm going to photograph him naked, covered in banana peels."
It was then that I knew that I had made it!
About a year and a half later, for the 3rd anniversary issue of Nightspots, I paid touching homage to the "Banana Boy" cover with one of yours truly in the tub, only covered in issues of the mag. Believe it or not, two days ago I stumbled upon this cover, looked at the date, did the math, and was coincidentally reminded that this issue marked the 10th anniversary. So, you see, I kinda had to do this week's remake cover. Luckily, due to moderate weight loss and better-than-average genetics, a naked 37-year-old me is quite an improvement on a naked 30-year-old me. Please to agree.
So, enjoy. It's been one hell of a decade. Let's see if I got another one in me!
This article shared 1739 times since Wed Nov 9, 2011
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|SHOWBIZ RuPaul, LGBTQ athletes, film winners, Charles Busch 2020-11-02|
- RuPaul has a lot of irons in the fire, according to out.com. Not only is she on the cover of Cosmopolitan UK's January 2021 issue, but the drag icon has also posted her new five-track Hey Sis, It's Christmas EP. Also, ...
|Kirk Williamson: Telling stories 2020-09-30|
- Many of you might know me only through my byline on the masthead or, if you're a bit older (and drunker), by my time in the bars as editor of Nightspots. Hey, I WAS that guy from the magazine. But if you have never ...
|Karlin's memoir reflects on heyday of Chicago LGBT media 2020-04-29|
- Fort Lauderdale-based author Rick Karlin, a native Chicagoan who for many years wrote about food and entertainment, among other topics, for LGBT papers in the Windy City, said that the machinations of the local gay media ...
|ART Paul Heyer in solo show presented by MCA 2018-06-20|
- The Museum of Contemporary Art (MCA) Chicago features artist Paul Heyer's first-ever solo show, "Chicago Works: Paul Heyer," through July 1. Heyer is a native of Chicago's south suburbs. Growing up in an arts appreciative household, ...
|Billy Masters 2017-11-21|
- "I can't wait to shove this up Adam's ass!"Blake Shelton's comment after being named "People" magazine's Sexiest Man Alive. I don't really understand all these "straight guys" who are obsessed with ass play. But, hey, as ...
|THEATER REVIEW Sylvester, or The Wicked Uncle 2017-09-25|
- Playwright: adapted by Christina Calvit from the novel by Georgette Heyer At: Lifeline Theatre, 6912 N. Glenwood Ave. Tickets: $40. Runs through: Oct. 29 Regency Romances, preferably adapted for the stage by Christina Calvit, never fail ...
|The Fair Maid of the West 2017-08-09|
- Playwright: Thomas Heywood, adapted by Kevin Theis. At: Oak Park Festival Theatre in Austin Gardens, 167 Forest Ave., Oak Park. Tickets: $30. Runs through: Sept. 2 Thomas Heywood's sword-and-cloak extravaganza was a blockbuster in 1631, but ...
|President Obama's remarks in presenting the Medal of Freedom to VP Joe Biden 2017-01-12|
From the White House Office of the Press Secretary - State Dining Room 3:50 P.M. EST THE PRESIDENT: Hey! All right, that's enough. Don't want to embarrass the guy. (Laughter.) Welcome to the White House, everybody. As I have already delivered my farewell address, I will ...
|President Obama presents the Medal of Freedom to Ellen DeGeneres and others 2016-11-23|
From the White House Office of the Press Secretary - THE WHITE HOUSE, Office of the Press Secretary REMARKS BY THE PRESIDENT AT PRESENTATION OF THE 2016 PRESIDENTIAL MEDAL OF FREEDOM East Room, 3:13 P.M. EST THE PRESIDENT: Hello, hello, hello! Hey! Thank you. (Applause.) Thank ...
|BOOK REVIEW The Joy of Swimming 2016-09-07|
- By Lisa Congdon $18.95; Chronicle Books; 141 pages People say you're all wet. Maybe that's not the nicest thing you've ever heard but hey! If something's true, it's true, right? Yep, you love being in a ...
|Mirza protests Trump, lesbian actress makes statement 2016-01-13|
- Lesbian actress Fawzia Mirza recently made a statement in front of the Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago. In response to Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump's comments about Muslims, Mirza posted, " Hey @realdonaldtrump WE ARE ...
|THEATER REVIEW Million Dollar Quartet 2015-12-30|
- Book: Colin Escott and Floyd Mutrux; Score: Various. At: Apollo Theatre, 2540 N. Lincoln Ave. Tickets: 773-935-6100 or www.milliondollarquartetlive.com; $25-$95. Runs through Jan. 17 Hey procrastinators! Million Dollar Quartet, officially ...
Stanley in the
Name of Love 2015-08-12|
- Book: Mr. Margaret Svetlove; Score: The Delicious Moons. At: The New Colony at Den Theatre, 1333 N. Milwaukee Ave. Tickets: www.thenewcolony.org; $20-$25. Runs through: Aug. 29 Hey, you young queer club kids who worship at the ...
|Stanley Cup makes the rounds in Boystown over Pride weekend; CGHA celebrates 2015-07-01|
- They won a championship and cruised around town with The Cup. Hey, it was a pretty good Pride weekend for the Chicago Gay Hockey Association (CGHA). The second-ever Chicago Pride Classic was held at McFetridge Sports ...
|Bijou Chronicles RETROSTUDS OF THE PAST:
FOCUS ON LEE RYDER
- We at Bijou carry back issues of Manshots magazines, which was, I think, in its heyday (the late '80s and early '90s), offered a sophisticated approach to gay porn; its video reviews were generally cogent and ...