Download the pdf for all the softball boys, rodeo riders, Stevie Nicks and Taverna 750 in this week's Nightspots
by Kirk Williamson, Nightspots Editor
This article shared 1652 times since Wed Aug 17, 2011
What a bizarre, bizarre few weeks I've had. Rather than to go into all the hoary ( not whore-y; please notice the distinction ) details, I'll simply allow you to look at all the photos I took for this issue and connect the dots yourself. It draws a picture o f a lot of fun, a lot of frolic and not nearly as much whoring as I did in my 20s. Turns out, I'm more into hoaring now. Yep, I don't know what it means either.
Anywhodeleedoodle, just a few photos this week. The first is from Cocktail, where young Erik West noticed my ear was burning and endeavored to douse the flames. No one can douse like him!
The second photo comes with a touch more of a story. During Sunday of Market Days, I sat at Center On Halsted working on this very issue. I was due to report back to our booth at 4 to man the giveaway wheel. I had grabbed a huge bundle of Windy City Times ( ya know, my OTHER paper ) and lugged it a half mile through the maddening crowd.
As I politely pushed and prodded the populated sidewalk walkers to get to my destination, I ran into a bottleneck at the steps of Roscoe's, dropped the bundle of papers and tripped to the ground. Perplexed and humiliated, I took a second to collect myself and bemoaned the state of a society where a man can trip and fall and no one comes to his aid. At that moment, like a bonus angel, Dave of Roscoe's stooped down, leant me a hand and even let me plug in my laptop in the Roscoe's office so that I could recharge my battery ( literally AND figuratively ) and finish this issue.
It would be a disservice to my position as a voice of the community if I were not to take a moment to acknowledge this kindness. Thanks, Dave. You make-a me smile.
Don't forget to peep the calendar for all your Rodeo, Gay Softball and BarAIDS needs!
This article shared 1652 times since Wed Aug 17, 2011
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|SHOWBIZ RuPaul, LGBTQ athletes, film winners, Charles Busch 2020-11-02|
- RuPaul has a lot of irons in the fire, according to out.com. Not only is she on the cover of Cosmopolitan UK's January 2021 issue, but the drag icon has also posted her new five-track Hey Sis, It's Christmas EP. Also, ...
|Kirk Williamson: Telling stories 2020-09-30|
- Many of you might know me only through my byline on the masthead or, if you're a bit older (and drunker), by my time in the bars as editor of Nightspots. Hey, I WAS that guy from the magazine. But if you have never ...
|Karlin's memoir reflects on heyday of Chicago LGBT media 2020-04-29|
- Fort Lauderdale-based author Rick Karlin, a native Chicagoan who for many years wrote about food and entertainment, among other topics, for LGBT papers in the Windy City, said that the machinations of the local gay media ...
|ART Paul Heyer in solo show presented by MCA 2018-06-20|
- The Museum of Contemporary Art (MCA) Chicago features artist Paul Heyer's first-ever solo show, "Chicago Works: Paul Heyer," through July 1. Heyer is a native of Chicago's south suburbs. Growing up in an arts appreciative household, ...
|Billy Masters 2017-11-21|
- "I can't wait to shove this up Adam's ass!"Blake Shelton's comment after being named "People" magazine's Sexiest Man Alive. I don't really understand all these "straight guys" who are obsessed with ass play. But, hey, as ...
|THEATER REVIEW Sylvester, or The Wicked Uncle 2017-09-25|
- Playwright: adapted by Christina Calvit from the novel by Georgette Heyer At: Lifeline Theatre, 6912 N. Glenwood Ave. Tickets: $40. Runs through: Oct. 29 Regency Romances, preferably adapted for the stage by Christina Calvit, never fail ...
|The Fair Maid of the West 2017-08-09|
- Playwright: Thomas Heywood, adapted by Kevin Theis. At: Oak Park Festival Theatre in Austin Gardens, 167 Forest Ave., Oak Park. Tickets: $30. Runs through: Sept. 2 Thomas Heywood's sword-and-cloak extravaganza was a blockbuster in 1631, but ...
|President Obama's remarks in presenting the Medal of Freedom to VP Joe Biden 2017-01-12|
From the White House Office of the Press Secretary - State Dining Room 3:50 P.M. EST THE PRESIDENT: Hey! All right, that's enough. Don't want to embarrass the guy. (Laughter.) Welcome to the White House, everybody. As I have already delivered my farewell address, I will ...
|President Obama presents the Medal of Freedom to Ellen DeGeneres and others 2016-11-23|
From the White House Office of the Press Secretary - THE WHITE HOUSE, Office of the Press Secretary REMARKS BY THE PRESIDENT AT PRESENTATION OF THE 2016 PRESIDENTIAL MEDAL OF FREEDOM East Room, 3:13 P.M. EST THE PRESIDENT: Hello, hello, hello! Hey! Thank you. (Applause.) Thank ...
|BOOK REVIEW The Joy of Swimming 2016-09-07|
- By Lisa Congdon $18.95; Chronicle Books; 141 pages People say you're all wet. Maybe that's not the nicest thing you've ever heard but hey! If something's true, it's true, right? Yep, you love being in a ...
|Mirza protests Trump, lesbian actress makes statement 2016-01-13|
- Lesbian actress Fawzia Mirza recently made a statement in front of the Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago. In response to Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump's comments about Muslims, Mirza posted, " Hey @realdonaldtrump WE ARE ...
|THEATER REVIEW Million Dollar Quartet 2015-12-30|
- Book: Colin Escott and Floyd Mutrux; Score: Various. At: Apollo Theatre, 2540 N. Lincoln Ave. Tickets: 773-935-6100 or www.milliondollarquartetlive.com; $25-$95. Runs through Jan. 17 Hey procrastinators! Million Dollar Quartet, officially ...
Stanley in the
Name of Love 2015-08-12|
- Book: Mr. Margaret Svetlove; Score: The Delicious Moons. At: The New Colony at Den Theatre, 1333 N. Milwaukee Ave. Tickets: www.thenewcolony.org; $20-$25. Runs through: Aug. 29 Hey, you young queer club kids who worship at the ...
|Stanley Cup makes the rounds in Boystown over Pride weekend; CGHA celebrates 2015-07-01|
- They won a championship and cruised around town with The Cup. Hey, it was a pretty good Pride weekend for the Chicago Gay Hockey Association (CGHA). The second-ever Chicago Pride Classic was held at McFetridge Sports ...
|Bijou Chronicles RETROSTUDS OF THE PAST:
FOCUS ON LEE RYDER
- We at Bijou carry back issues of Manshots magazines, which was, I think, in its heyday (the late '80s and early '90s), offered a sophisticated approach to gay porn; its video reviews were generally cogent and ...