by Kirk Williamson, Nightspots Editor
This article shared 1517 times since Wed May 11, 2011
As a beleaguered bar photographer, I thrive on those slam-dunk photo ops that ensure I will have plenty of pretty to photograph with a minimum of mishigas ( Yes, Mishigas! ) and effort. Case in point: Kentucky Derby parties. Plenty of festive millinery on display, this year from Crew and Charlie's, where The Chicago Empire once again got down to horseplay. Thanks for the low-stress photo efforts. Look for your shiny chapeaux in this issue.
Me likey! Check out this issue for our very first ever "Just Left of Centerfold," featuring Chad Ramsey, star of Hell In a Handbag's Trogg! A Musical, opening at The Chopin Theater Studio Space, 1543 W. Division on Sun., May 22. I first became acquainted with the film Trog ( Joan Crawford's last movie, ya know ) after an exhaustive search for a birthday present for my ex turned up a gently-used VHS tape of the 1972 epic concerning a "lady anthropologist" and her mission to teach a troglodyte to love. We never made it through the movie. You know what it was missing? Rock and roll! Well, Hell In a Handbag has gone and rectified that situation.
So The Call is on a major upswing after their recent burglary left them without DJ equipment, an ATM and a host of other stuff. Due to the generosity of their friends and loyalty of their patrons, I'm glad to report that The Call is forging one hell of a comeback. Throw a few bucks their way this week. Do it for a good cause and you'll get liquor in return. Talk about win-win!
Windy City Gay Idol is charging full-speed toward the June semi-finals and finals at Sidetrack with two very important events in these next two weeks. Join me as I judge the talent ( and I do not use that term loosely ) at the last open preliminary round at Scarlet on Mon., May 16. After that, see what second chances are made of at the always-raucous Wild Card round at Roscoe's, Mon., May 23, featuring all those fantastic contestants who didn't quite make it already this year. There will be a limited number of slots open for new singers. Will it be you?
Hello to all my friends out at Late Bar, 3534 W. Belmont Ave. Planet Earth Saturdays are as wonderfully weird as I remember, less the assholish antics of the Neo staff of olden days.
This article shared 1517 times since Wed May 11, 2011
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Berlin Nightclub closes after nearly 40 years, following boycott 2023-11-21|
Decades of Photo Archives below - After nearly forty years, Berlin Nightclub, 954 W. Belmont Ave., officially closed its doors Nov. 19 following a months-long fight between its owners and unionized workers. Owners Jim Schuman and Jo Webster officially announced Berlin Nightclub's ...
|Happy Hail-loween: Rough weather doesn't get the better of Haunted Halsted revelers 2023-11-03|
- The 26th annual Haunted Halsted Halloween Parade returned for the 26th time on Oct. 31. Attendees were challenged by a mix of rain, snow and hail as they marched down Halsted Street from Belmont Avenue towards ...
|Berlin Nightclub workers urge customers to boycott as they fight for fair contract 2023-10-31|
- Berlin Nightclub workers are calling for people to boycott the LGBTQ+ club while they push for their first contract, which they hope will include increased wages and access to healthcare. Berlin Nightclub workers unionized in April ...
|MIR's Intergalactic Rubber celebration soars to a suburb not too far way 2023-10-27|
Photos by Joseph Stevens - Mister International Rubber (MIR) 27, this year themed as Intergalactic Rubber, took off Oct. 19-22 from their new location at the DoubleTree Hotel by Hilton in Skokie. MIR26 Pusckatt Pumera Onyx stepped down and passed their ...
|GAY HISTORY MONTH In the '60s, drag found a home in San Francisco's Glen Park 2023-10-02|
- Special to Windy City Times. To mark Gay History Month, this article appears courtesy of the Bay Area Reporter. During the '60s most LGBTQ nightlife in San Francisco was centered in the northern neighborhoods of the ...
|Nobody's Darling celebrates expansion into adjoining property with soft opening event 2023-09-24|
- In the little over two years since its opening, Nobody's Darling in Andersonville has emerged as one of the premiere inclusive spaces to gather in Chicago. Nobody's Darling has become so successful that co-owners Angela Barnes ...
|Chicago musician, producer and DJ Don Crescendo killed in Avondale stabbing 2023-09-20|
- Chicago's LGBTQ+ nightlife community and allies have rallied around the family and close friends of local longtime musician, producer and DJ Rodney Donovan Taylor, a.k.a. Don Crescendo, in the wake of his death by stabbing last ...
|MUSIC Kylie Minogue to debut Vegas residency this fall 2023-07-28|
- The Venetian Resort Las Vegas revealed details surrounding its new 1,000-seat nightlife space, Voltaire, with the announcement of its first headlinerpop sensation and LGBTQ+ ally Kylie Minogue, a press release ...
|Bears, cubs and their admirers return for Illinois Bear Contest 2023-04-11|
- Visitors and Chicagoans gathered at Charlies Chicago, 3726 N. Broadway, on April 7 to kick off the Illinois Bear Contest weekend, the first since 2019. The contest itself took place the following evening at Leather Archives ...
|SHOWBIZ Trans musicians, NHL, 'Queen Charlotte,' Jinkx Monsoon, Anderson Cooper 2023-04-08|
- The Face published an article about five trans musicians who should be on people's playlists. British queer nightlife legend Mya Mehmi said that those musicians include New York's Ms Boogie, London-based Harve, Arca, Ms. Carrie Stacks ...
|Winners chosen in the International Puppy and Trainer Contest 2023-04-03|
- The International Puppy & Trainer Contest was held in Chicago the weekend of March 31 to April 2 for the first time since 2019. The contest's Meet & Greet was held at Cellblock on March 31. The contest was hosted the ...
|PASSAGES: Visual artist, Chicago nightlife scene drag performer legend and hairdresser Jojo Baby 2023-03-16|
- Visual artist, Chicago nightlife scene drag performer legend, doll-maker and hairdresser Jojo Baby died March 14 of liver, lung and stomach cancer. They were 51. Baby was born April 10, 1971, in Chicago and grew up ...
|Puppy & Handler Contest returns 2023-02-21|
Joseph Stephens - The Midwest Puppy & Handler Contest took place the weekend of Feb. 17-18 for the first time since 2019. The contest's meet-and-greet was held at Cellblock Feb. 17. The contest itself was hosted by the Leather ...
|Chicagoans gather for Jackhammer re-opening 2023-01-30|
Photos by Joseph Stevens - Rogers Park leather and fetish bar Jackhammer held its grand re-opening the evening of Jan. 27 after a long renovation process. The longtime North Side watering hole opened in 1999, taking over the space previously occupied ...
|ONYX Midwest forum tackles racist performance at Touche's anniversary party 2023-01-22|
- In a response to the racist performance that took place at the leather, fetish and bear-focused Touche Chicago's 45th anniversary celebration on Nov. 1, 2022, ONYX Midwest hosted a community forum Jan. 21 at The Leather ...