by Kirk Williamson, Nightspots Editor
This article shared 4075 times since Wed Feb 20, 2008
Remember that cold that began to advance on my immune system as I wrote last week's column? Fast forward one week, one trip to the doctor, several nights of incapacitation, two trips to the pharmacy and a last-minute pledge from a photographer to save me the fresh hell of having to do the bar circuit with a 101 degree fever ( which didn't come through, leaving me to DO the aforementioned Hades cruise ) and you have me here. Read: can't write column.
A few things before I wretch spastically upon the floor.
TPAN announces that this year's Chicago Takes Off event at the Park West last weekend helped raise $100,000. That's a spicy meatball! As a sponsor, thanks to all of you ( and there were 1,200 ) who gave of your hearts to make this year's event a smashing success.
Happy anniversary to Jim and the whole crew at 3160. Great to see Alexandra Billings taking the stage back in our sordid little berg. Although here in Chicago, she'd never have the opportunity to meet Britney Spears and film her sitting alone in a limo for two hours. Ask her to tell you the story. I assure you she'll do it more justice than I have in these brief few words.
That's about it for this week. Let's hope all the sinus viruses setting up light housekeeping in my head die a merciless and agonizing death at the hand of the antibiotics I've been popping.
In the meantime, enjoy this picture of my very own MC Hammer doll.
And check out my new blog, 'That Blog!,' on chicago pride. You can see more about MC and all those other little things that make life worth living.
This article shared 4075 times since Wed Feb 20, 2008
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|SHOWBIZ RuPaul, LGBTQ athletes, film winners, Charles Busch 2020-11-02|
- RuPaul has a lot of irons in the fire, according to out.com. Not only is she on the cover of Cosmopolitan UK's January 2021 issue, but the drag icon has also posted her new five-track Hey Sis, It's Christmas EP. Also, ...
|Kirk Williamson: Telling stories 2020-09-30|
- Many of you might know me only through my byline on the masthead or, if you're a bit older (and drunker), by my time in the bars as editor of Nightspots. Hey, I WAS that guy from the magazine. But if you have never ...
|Karlin's memoir reflects on heyday of Chicago LGBT media 2020-04-29|
- Fort Lauderdale-based author Rick Karlin, a native Chicagoan who for many years wrote about food and entertainment, among other topics, for LGBT papers in the Windy City, said that the machinations of the local gay media ...
|ART Paul Heyer in solo show presented by MCA 2018-06-20|
- The Museum of Contemporary Art (MCA) Chicago features artist Paul Heyer's first-ever solo show, "Chicago Works: Paul Heyer," through July 1. Heyer is a native of Chicago's south suburbs. Growing up in an arts appreciative household, ...
|Billy Masters 2017-11-21|
- "I can't wait to shove this up Adam's ass!"Blake Shelton's comment after being named "People" magazine's Sexiest Man Alive. I don't really understand all these "straight guys" who are obsessed with ass play. But, hey, as ...
|THEATER REVIEW Sylvester, or The Wicked Uncle 2017-09-25|
- Playwright: adapted by Christina Calvit from the novel by Georgette Heyer At: Lifeline Theatre, 6912 N. Glenwood Ave. Tickets: $40. Runs through: Oct. 29 Regency Romances, preferably adapted for the stage by Christina Calvit, never fail ...
|The Fair Maid of the West 2017-08-09|
- Playwright: Thomas Heywood, adapted by Kevin Theis. At: Oak Park Festival Theatre in Austin Gardens, 167 Forest Ave., Oak Park. Tickets: $30. Runs through: Sept. 2 Thomas Heywood's sword-and-cloak extravaganza was a blockbuster in 1631, but ...
|President Obama's remarks in presenting the Medal of Freedom to VP Joe Biden 2017-01-12|
From the White House Office of the Press Secretary - State Dining Room 3:50 P.M. EST THE PRESIDENT: Hey! All right, that's enough. Don't want to embarrass the guy. (Laughter.) Welcome to the White House, everybody. As I have already delivered my farewell address, I will ...
|President Obama presents the Medal of Freedom to Ellen DeGeneres and others 2016-11-23|
From the White House Office of the Press Secretary - THE WHITE HOUSE, Office of the Press Secretary REMARKS BY THE PRESIDENT AT PRESENTATION OF THE 2016 PRESIDENTIAL MEDAL OF FREEDOM East Room, 3:13 P.M. EST THE PRESIDENT: Hello, hello, hello! Hey! Thank you. (Applause.) Thank ...
|BOOK REVIEW The Joy of Swimming 2016-09-07|
- By Lisa Congdon $18.95; Chronicle Books; 141 pages People say you're all wet. Maybe that's not the nicest thing you've ever heard but hey! If something's true, it's true, right? Yep, you love being in a ...
|Mirza protests Trump, lesbian actress makes statement 2016-01-13|
- Lesbian actress Fawzia Mirza recently made a statement in front of the Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago. In response to Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump's comments about Muslims, Mirza posted, " Hey @realdonaldtrump WE ARE ...
|THEATER REVIEW Million Dollar Quartet 2015-12-30|
- Book: Colin Escott and Floyd Mutrux; Score: Various. At: Apollo Theatre, 2540 N. Lincoln Ave. Tickets: 773-935-6100 or www.milliondollarquartetlive.com; $25-$95. Runs through Jan. 17 Hey procrastinators! Million Dollar Quartet, officially ...
Stanley in the
Name of Love 2015-08-12|
- Book: Mr. Margaret Svetlove; Score: The Delicious Moons. At: The New Colony at Den Theatre, 1333 N. Milwaukee Ave. Tickets: www.thenewcolony.org; $20-$25. Runs through: Aug. 29 Hey, you young queer club kids who worship at the ...
|Stanley Cup makes the rounds in Boystown over Pride weekend; CGHA celebrates 2015-07-01|
- They won a championship and cruised around town with The Cup. Hey, it was a pretty good Pride weekend for the Chicago Gay Hockey Association (CGHA). The second-ever Chicago Pride Classic was held at McFetridge Sports ...
|Bijou Chronicles RETROSTUDS OF THE PAST:
FOCUS ON LEE RYDER
- We at Bijou carry back issues of Manshots magazines, which was, I think, in its heyday (the late '80s and early '90s), offered a sophisticated approach to gay porn; its video reviews were generally cogent and ...