WINDY CITY TIMES
||Tharpe part of newest Hall of Fame class
This article shared 788 times since Wed Dec 27, 2017
Decades after her death, Sister Rosetta Tharpe will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2018, according to Out.com . She will receive the Award for Early Influence.
Tharpe is considered a pioneer in the musical genre of rock gospel, and Elvis Presley cited her as an influence.
Born in Arkansas in 1915, Rosetta Nubin ( Tharpe's birth name ) started singing with her mother at churches and revivals as early as age 6. After moving to Chicago, Tharpe started fusing urban and rural influences into her music. After a failed marriage to a preacher when she was a teen ( the first of three for her ), Tharpe met singer Marie Knight in 1946; they then paired, musically and personally, as revealed the book Tharpe, Shout, Sister, Shout! Tharpe died in 1973.
Other Hall of Fame inductees for next year include Bon Jovi, The Cars, Dire Straits, The Moody Blues and Nina Simone, per the organization's website. The ceremony will take place Saturday, April 14, in Cleveland, home of the Hall of Fame.
The Out.com piece is at www.out.com/entertainment/2017/12/13/queer-rock-legend-sister-rosetta-tharpe-inducted-rock-roll-hall-fame.
This article shared 788 times since Wed Dec 27, 2017
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Chicago Dancers United raises more than $365K at Dance for Life 2023-08-29|
- Chicago Dancers United (CDU)which supports the health and wellness of Chicago's professional dance communitywelcomed 1,600 people to the 32nd annual Dance for Life on Aug. 19 at Auditorium Theatre, per ...
|Teen suspect arrested in killing of gay dancer 2023-08-05|
- The New York Police Department arrested a suspect in the fatal stabbing of 28-year-old O'Shae Sibley, who was attacked last weekend at a Brooklyn gas station. According to The Advocate, Sibley, a professional dancer, had been ...
|NATIONAL Drag news, HIV-bias lawsuit, Disney, Brittney Griner, gay dancer 2023-08-04|
- Swastika flag-toting neo-Nazis, some of them armed, were at a Wisconsin LGBTQ+ Pride celebration that included a drag show, The Advocate reported. Members of the neo-Nazi extremist group Blood Tribe joined other right-wing hate groups, like ...
|Billy Masters: Cattrall passive-aggressively returns just like that 2023-06-06|
- "I kinda look like a 200-year-old pole dancer now! I don't think that's gonna happen, but thank you anyway." —Sylvester Stallone's response when Sherri Shepherd asks if he'll wear his tank top and booty shorts in ...
|ART on THE MART's summer programs include Chicago Black Dance Legacy Project, Pride celebration 2023-05-11|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, IL — ART on THE MART, an innovative digital art project that transforms a Chicago architectural landmark into a larger-than-life canvas, will introduce two new commissions this summer. Building Light, a new projection by Gensler, ...
|South Chicago Dance Theatre to debut 'Memoirs of Jazz' on June 10 2023-05-09|
--From a press release - (May 8, 2023) Through the 1960s and '70s, Jazz in the Alley on Chicago's South Side was a hotbed for jazz and a meeting place for some of the country's prominent musicians, visual artists, poets, activists, ...
|Artemis Singers presents June 10 "Better Times Will Come" Pride Concert and Dance 2023-05-03|
--From a press release - CHICAGO─Artemis Singers, Chicago's lesbian feminist chorus, will present "Better Times Will Come" Pride Concert & Dance, Saturday, June 10, at the Irish American Heritage Center, 4626 N. Knox Ave. ...
|Andersonville Midsommarfest to return June 9-11 in its 57th year 2023-04-30|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (April 27, 2023) — The Andersonville Chamber of Commerce (ACC) is pleased to welcome summer with Andersonville Midsommarfest, one of Chicago's oldest and most beloved summer street festivals. Now in its 57th year, the ann ...
|Ballet review: Joffrey's Little Mermaid returns to darker original, a complex reflection on desire 2023-04-27|
- The Little Mermaid Choreographer: John Neumeier; Score: Lera Auerbach. At: Joffrey Ballet at Lyric Opera House, 20 N. Wacker Drive. Tickets: 312-386-8905 or Joffrey.org; $36-$200. Runs through April 30 It's likely that many parents bringing small ...
|House History: World-premiere musical was inspired by the early days of '80s house music 2023-04-18|
- Gay composer Scott Free can rattle off the names of several documentaries celebrating the Chicago origins of house music. This style of electronic dance music was pioneered by Black DJs like Frankie Knuckles and Larry Heard ...
|Christopher Rudd's ballet Touche explores dynamics of gay love 2023-04-10|
- Jamaican-born dance creator Christopher Rudd premieres his powerful choreography for Chicago audiences at the Auditorium Theatre, 50 E. Ida B. Wells Drive, on April 14, 2023. The all-male partnering piece titled Touche is part of the ...
|Chicago Black Dance Legacy Project to present dance concert 'Sans Pareil' 2023-03-14|
--From a press release - Deeply Rooted Dance Theater joins the Chicago Black Dance Legacy Project again to take the stage in a dance concert entitled Sans Pareil—French for "unparalleled," a nod to the Haitian lineage of Chicago's founder, Jean-Baptiste Pointe ...
|SHOWBIZ Little Richard, Indigo Girls, Rodriguez's honor, dance film, Pedro Pascal 2023-03-10|
Video below - Produced by Bungalow Media + Entertainment for CNN Films and HBO Max, in association with Rolling Stone Films, director Lisa Cortes' Sundance opening-night documentary Little Richard: I Am Everything will debut in theaters and on VOD ...
|Keep on Trockin': Ballet Trockadero dances through Chicago Feb. 11 2023-02-10|
- Keep on Trockin': Ballet Trockadero dances through Chicago Feb. 11 By Matt Simonette Performer Duane Gosa admits that going to the ballet can sometimes be intimidating for some audience. But he is quick to reassure that ...
|CGMC to re-create music videos in drag with 'Lipstick & Lyrics: On MTV' 2023-02-10|
--From a press release - CHICAGOChicago Gay Men's Chorus presents their annual live-singing drag show, Lipstick & Lyrics. This year's theme: On MTV. Come enjoy CGMC's drag performers as they recreate epic music videos. With dancers, costumes and sass, these live ...